Author Topic: A thread about nothing at all....  (Read 671824 times)

Offline Gsun

Re: A thread about nothing at all....
« Reply #1200 on: December 29, 2013, 12:52:48 PM »
I am officially a senior today. 60. Looking forward to those discounts! Going to the garage to work on the bike....

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1201 on: December 29, 2013, 01:00:44 PM »
Well, hell, Happy Birthday to ya, I hear walking canes are %75 off for you old senior citizens and that 3 wheeled 'Wings come at a %15 discount ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #1202 on: December 29, 2013, 02:11:03 PM »
I am officially a senior today. 60. Looking forward to those discounts! Going to the garage to work on the bike....

Happy Birthday G!  :chugbeer:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #1203 on: December 29, 2013, 04:06:45 PM »

Happy Birthday G!  :chugbeer:

Pass the soap! ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #1204 on: December 29, 2013, 04:47:58 PM »
Drop the soap!

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #1205 on: December 29, 2013, 09:13:21 PM »
Heck with soap....it's time for a good  rinse.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1206 on: January 02, 2014, 04:54:48 AM »
Cold snap!

A high of 10 today and going down to MINUS 15 tonight. That's a might chilly but...

Monday's 'high' temp is sposed to me MINUS 10 and going down to minus 20 that night.    :o

That's brisk baby!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #1207 on: January 02, 2014, 05:13:22 AM »
Cold snap!

A high of 10 today and going down to MINUS 15 tonight. That's a might chilly but...

Monday's 'high' temp is sposed to me MINUS 10 and going down to minus 20 that night.    :o

That's brisk baby!
Sounds like snuggle time with the misses to me :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1208 on: January 03, 2014, 04:35:37 AM »
Sounds like snuggle time with the misses to me :)

That's just about any time.    :thumbs:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1209 on: January 03, 2014, 04:59:08 AM »
I stopped off yesterday at my previous place of employment :) to sign some papers and to pick up my new retiree ID card and free retiree parking permit (that will allow me to park anywhere that I like on campus). After I got my parking permit I told that gal at the Parking Services window that I'll be needing a free permit for my bike as well. She says oh no, you'll have to pay for a MC permit, those aren't free.  :o

WTF? I can park my cage for free where ever I like but I can't get a free MC permit? Cheap bastards!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1210 on: January 03, 2014, 05:06:54 AM »
Today1/3/2014 Hi: 11° Mostly sunny in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Areas of blowing snow late in the afternoon. Blustery. Highs 11 to 15. Lowest wind chill readings 20 below to 30 below zero in the morning. South winds 10 to 15 mph increasing to 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph.
 Lo: 11° Windy. Partly cloudy. Areas of blowing snow. Visibility one quarter mile or less at times. Lows 10 to 14. Wind chills as low as zero to 10 below zero. South winds 20 to 30 mph until early morning decreasing to 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 40 mph.

Saturday1/4/2014 Hi: 28° Areas of blowing snow with visibility one quarter mile or less at times early in the morning. Mostly cloudy with a 50 percent chance of light snow. Blustery. Highs in the upper 20s. Southwest winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 30 mph early in the morning decreasing to 10 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph in the late morning and early afternoon...then shifting to the northwest 10 to 15 mph late in the afternoon.
 Lo: 3° Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Lows zero to 4 above. Wind chills as low as 5 below to 15 below zero. North winds 10 to 15 mph.

Sunday1/5/2014 Hi: 7° Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs zero to 4 above. Wind chills as low as 10 below to 20 below zero. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph.
 Lo: -14° Partly cloudy. Lows 17 to 21 below.

Monday1/6/2014 Hi: -10° Mostly cloudy. Highs 12 to 16 below.
 Lo: -17° Partly cloudy. Lows 17 to 21 below.

Tuesday1/7/2014 Hi: -3° Partly cloudy. Highs 3 to 7 below. Lows 8 to 12 below.
 Lo: -10° Partly cloudy. Highs 3 to 7 below. Lows 8 to 12 below.

Wednesday1/8/2014 Hi: 15° Mostly cloudy with a 30 percent chance of snow. Highs 13 to 17.
 Lo: 9° Cloudy with a 40 percent chance of snow. Lows 9 to 13 above. Then temperatures becoming steady or slowly rising.

Thursday1/9/2014 Hi: 27° Mostly cloudy with a 20 percent chance of snow. Highs in the upper 20s.

:o

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1211 on: January 03, 2014, 05:18:49 AM »
I stopped off yesterday at my previous place of employment :) to sign some papers and to pick up my new retiree ID card and free retiree parking permit (that will allow me to park anywhere that I like on campus). After I got my parking permit I told that gal at the Parking Services window that I'll be needing a free permit for my bike as well. She says oh no, you'll have to pay for a MC permit, those aren't free.  :o

WTF? I can park my cage for free where ever I like but I can't get a free MC permit? Cheap bastards!

Bugs Bunny: This Means War
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1212 on: January 03, 2014, 05:24:00 AM »
Bugs Bunny: This Means War

Exactly Jim! I'll be writing some letters and e-mails today.   >:(

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #1213 on: January 03, 2014, 07:01:53 AM »
Wow, Conrad you have been retired, what.... like 2 days and are already suffering from 'old man' crankiness! Now get some pants that come up to your armpits and we'll call you Grandpa Simpson.

:rotflmao:

It is odd that you cannot get a free pass for the bike but you can for the car. Maybe retirees on motorcycles have not been much of a problem in the past so it has not yet come up?

Brian

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1214 on: January 03, 2014, 07:55:20 AM »
It was 7 F degrees last night, and dropped a bit of snow on us- maybe 5, or 6" of the finest power- it looks like talc and a snowblower turns the area into a 'white out'. It is supposed to go to -7 F tonight, which is about as cold as it gets around here so that might be out low for the year. After spending months using a lot of effort not to have the woodstove overpower the house (I hate having to open the door and chuck that excess heat), now I have to keep flogging it to hold the house at a reasonable temperature. In a week I will probably still be flogging it, the outside temp. will be 40 F and every living thing in the house will be begging for mercy.... :-)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1215 on: January 03, 2014, 12:52:18 PM »
Flogging it, eh?  Hope it holds up.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1216 on: January 03, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »
Well, not really flogging it as it has a 10 cu. ft. firebox.  :yikes:   But I am having to feet and water it more than usual and I like to preempt the temperature drop. When heating with wood, it is a lousy method to wonder if the stove needs any attention because you feel chilly- if the stove has really died down and is about out of fuel, it can be a long recovery. Much better to tend it first.

These are also the times of the winter where chimney fires become an issue. A lot of casual wood burners have spent a couple of months coating the chimney with creosote, and tonight they will kick the woodstoves in the butt, put some fire into the chimney and occasionally ignite that creosote. I have only seen a couple of them, and only one that got out of the chimney and into the house and none of them were pretty. The one that caught the house on fire was particularly nasty to the people living there because the fire (in the wood of the house) has caught and is burning pretty seriously before there are any symptoms in the house; when the smoke detector(s) go off, it is because the fire has already burned through the chimney well and whatever the walls are made of and is now inside the house. They did not lose the house though, and no one was injured but still, it serves as a reminder to be vigilant. How does it go- fire is a wonderful servant but a terrible master?

By the way, it is just passing 10F and headed lower right now.

Brian

Flogging it, eh?  Hope it holds up.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #1217 on: January 03, 2014, 06:23:06 PM »
It will probably get close to the single digits here tonight.  I hate the winter.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #1218 on: January 03, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
Me too - I love winter! Oh, wait.....

It is now officially -1.5 F and dropping. Stove loaded. Inside temp. 73 F. Going to bed and expect to wake up with a big pile of coals in the stove but probably in the high 60's / low 70's tomorrow morning.

Serious wood burners light a fire in November and let it go out in April. Really serious wood burners light one end of a giant tree on fire and just sit near it all winter, moving down the trunk as required.

Brian

It will probably get close to the single digits here tonight.  I hate the winter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #1219 on: January 04, 2014, 06:23:36 AM »
Well, not really flogging it as it has a 10 cu. ft. firebox.  :yikes:   But I am having to feet and water it more than usual and I like to preempt the temperature drop. When heating with wood, it is a lousy method to wonder if the stove needs any attention because you feel chilly- if the stove has really died down and is about out of fuel, it can be a long recovery. Much better to tend it first.

These are also the times of the winter where chimney fires become an issue. A lot of casual wood burners have spent a couple of months coating the chimney with creosote, and tonight they will kick the woodstoves in the butt, put some fire into the chimney and occasionally ignite that creosote. I have only seen a couple of them, and only one that got out of the chimney and into the house and none of them were pretty. The one that caught the house on fire was particularly nasty to the people living there because the fire (in the wood of the house) has caught and is burning pretty seriously before there are any symptoms in the house; when the smoke detector(s) go off, it is because the fire has already burned through the chimney well and whatever the walls are made of and is now inside the house. They did not lose the house though, and no one was injured but still, it serves as a reminder to be vigilant. How does it go- fire is a wonderful servant but a terrible master?

By the way, it is just passing 10F and headed lower right now.

Brian

Back when we bought our house in 1986 it was heated with electric baseboard heating only. After finding out what my electric bill looked like over that first winter I decided to buy and install a nice air tight wood stove. I was able to install some ductwork and a few small volume thermostatically controlled fans up in a false ceiling that allowed the heat from the stove to reach the bedrooms and other areas of the house. I heated the house that way for around 10 years. I saved a ton of money since I had a good free source for firewood (It didn't feel free when I was cutting down trees, splitting, and hauling logs). In '96 my brother (he's in the HVAC business) and I installed a gas furnace and the associated ductwork in the house and the 'free' heat days ended. I still have the wood stove and still use it from time to time. It's fantastic to fall back on that stove for heat when/if the power goes out. Heck, you can even cook a full meal on that thing and bake bread too. 

I’ll be firing that stove up for sure on Monday when the forecast highs around here will only reach MINUS 15.    :o