Author Topic: Resistive plugs  (Read 4710 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Resistive plugs
« on: July 16, 2011, 01:13:55 AM »
Where does everyone get there resistive cap spark plugs. Murphs, dealership, or autoparts store. Anyone have the part num handy? I need to try and locate a set.
I just installed a J&M handle bar mount cb intercom. I can hear the plugs firing. Of course I need to wire the power  to the Bat, I temporarily shoved the power leads into the accessory ports under the seat. Even with a noise filter I can't imagine that is a very clean power source.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Resistive plugs
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:41:23 AM »
Did you all ready Google them,Chris?

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
 :loco: not yet. I was just feeling lazy. plus its hard enough typing on this damn phone sober. Guess I can pull a plug on the am, the plug number is the same it just has an 'R' if I remember correctly.
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 07:32:28 AM »
Chris,
You can do the electrics at the battery if you want to. I might suggest a seperate fuse/relay box instead. Whitehourse Press offer an excelent relay box that fits perfectly just behind the battery box on the forward slope of the rear tire plastic. It can wire up 6 seperate circuits, and is completly isolated for things like audio.
Just a suggestion, good luck.
Ride safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 10:24:56 AM »
I believe the stock plug caps are already resistive.

Because they were cracked, I replaced mine with NGK SD05F which fit pretty well.

Unfortunately, I don't have any electronics to see if the resistive stuff is effective.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline redzgrider

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 06:26:07 PM »
If you want new caps and wires, Murph's is the place to get them. The stock caps have a short 5K resistor inside -- you can see them by using a screw driver to remove the plug gripper from the inside of the cap.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 07:01:39 PM »
if you dont screw the plug end onto the wire (spray wd-40 into the cap to assist), and allow the "pin" in the cap which IS THREADED to run up and into the ceter of the wire, almost 1/2", you are wasting time.... there is little to be had replacing the stock stuff till you cut the wires down so short you can't do it further.. and then, just getting bulk 7mm od solid tinned copper core wires from wherever (napa or a Accell wire kit) will remedy the problem. just remember the plug end MUST be screwed on/into the wire, and it should move a half inch in the process.....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 04:09:55 AM »
So I guess since I have stick coils the issue gets just a tad more interesting :o
2002 Conc

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 10:16:30 AM »
Although I've never tried to order them for the bike, usually they are the same part number with an "R" on the end.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 10:25:11 AM »
Does anyone have the plug number handy?
I cant seem to find the link to part numbers
2002 Conc

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 11:22:14 AM »
Found it, never mind ;)
2002 Conc

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 07:13:16 AM »
Snarf, if your wanting the stock resister caps, I believe I still have them at home from when I put in stick coils. I'll check when I get home from work. I also have new accel 7mm copper wire to go with them. They're yours if you need them.
2004 C10 RIP

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 08:34:23 AM »
Snarf, if your wanting the stock resister caps, I believe I still have them at home from when I put in stick coils. I'll check when I get home from work. I also have new accel 7mm copper wire to go with them. They're yours if you need them.
I have stick coils, I worded it all wrong.  I was trying to find the stock plug number.
DR8EA  If anybody needs/wants to know.  I was looking to score some DPR8EA plugs but they didnt have any.
2002 Conc

Offline midnightrider

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2011, 09:04:25 AM »
I have stick coils, I worded it all wrong.  I was trying to find the stock plug number.
DR8EA  If anybody needs/wants to know.  I was looking to score some DPR8EA plugs but they didnt have any.

I thought that was what you were saying but wasn't quite sure so I threw the caps out there just in case. ;D
2004 C10 RIP

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:29 AM »
and it was much appreciated.
2002 Conc