Author Topic: Am I nuts?  (Read 4178 times)

Son of Pappy

Am I nuts?
« on: October 23, 2012, 06:43:48 PM »
So, this weekend I will be participating in the 24 hours of Starvation Ridge.  Being a 24 hour race lights are mandatory, being that the YZ has no battery and I'm a CB I used a 12 volt battery and a set of Trail Tech LED lights.  So, where does a 12 volt battery get mounted to the YZ?  I did mount it, but I'd like some guesses or ideas to see if my line of thinking is OK.  Keep in mind, this is an off road, one pass with a bulldozer, out in the sticks event.  I'll give a hint, I used lots of zip ties (Harbor Freight specials to be precise), 2 bolts, 4 nuts, 2 lock washers, a block of wood, and some old Yankee ingenuity.  Pics will follow, I don't want to influence ideas ;)

FWIW, I hope this works out better than a certain Aux. tank I witnessed and collaberated on a few months back ;D

Offline Conrad

Re: Am I nuts?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 08:58:31 AM »
Is that a rhetorical question?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:00 AM »
As to your title question... Yes Chet, you are nuts.  :nuts: ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:22:14 AM »
Well, if your lights do not leak any a lot of fuel, then it is working out better....

"This is a fantastic, two- part, fast hardening leak stopping material that is sure to work" my butt....

Brian

<snip>

FWIW, I hope this works out better than a certain Aux. tank I witnessed and collaberated on a few months back ;D
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 11:24:40 AM »
What, you are not using any of that 'guaranteed to hold lights firmly and forever, two- part, fast hardening, magical 'stuff'  ' you have around the garage? Afraid it won't be completely opaque?

;D ;D

Brian

So, this weekend I will be participating in the 24 hours of Starvation Ridge.  Being a 24 hour race lights are mandatory, being that the YZ has no battery and I'm a CB I used a 12 volt battery and a set of Trail Tech LED lights.  So, where does a 12 volt battery get mounted to the YZ?  I did mount it, but I'd like some guesses or ideas to see if my line of thinking is OK.  Keep in mind, this is an off road, one pass with a bulldozer, out in the sticks event.  I'll give a hint, I used lots of zip ties (Harbor Freight specials to be precise), 2 bolts, 4 nuts, 2 lock washers, a block of wood, and some old Yankee ingenuity.  Pics will follow, I don't want to influence ideas ;)

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 12:37:18 PM »
Behind the front number plate would be my choice, depending on the size of the battery. About the only other place would be to attach it to the rear fender/seat junction and hope it stays put.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 02:34:46 PM »
In answer to your subject line....Yes, you are, but go for it anyway.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 11:33:20 PM »
Is the battery small enough to sneak it on the swing arm? My first guess would also be behind the number plate, so it could benefit from some
shock cushion, but you'll probably get a gel battery, and beat the living hell out of it attached somehow to the swing arm.. And yes, you're frickin' nuts..
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline pistole

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 02:24:35 AM »
- little bicycle dynamo run off the front wheel !

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2012, 05:36:57 AM »
You lost me with Yankee and ingenuity in the same sentence. 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2012, 11:19:48 PM »
Well, yes, behind the plate and it worked great.  We ended up 2nd in the over 40 amateur class.  Was it fun?  Only if you think 20+ miles in axle deep mud/clay is fun  Think lots of obstacles like steep hils with short run up, long, cliff like downhills (think axle deep mud again) with a small drainage type ditch at the bottom into a small trail alongside a pond.  I managed one lap and I was toast, and no, I have no shame, I did an entire lap without quitting.  One of our instructors competed in the Iron Woman class, she managed 4 laps and took first.  My boss?  He gutted out 7 laps, yes over 140 miles in the axle deep mud on a WR450.  He finished 7th.  The winner?  17, yes, 17 laps.  What an animal.
What did I learn?  LOCATION ;D  I'll be back next year, much better conditioned and hoping for dry conditions, one of the bikes got weighed a day later, 98 pounds of semi dried mud.  Try picking up a mud slick bike with no footing, on a steep hillside packing an extra 98 pounds.  I sure wish one of ya who rides dirt locally will consider joining the team, we have a cook, warming hut, great group of riders, and a fair amount of equipment.  Next year we will have 2 55 gallons dri=ums filled with water and a small pressure washer to help lighten the bikes load before heading out for another lap.  We only had 2 mechanical issue, both on the same bike, an older Rekluse clutch went out before loop one was completed, got towed in, than he promptly went out a punched a hole in his case with the brake lever.
Great event, hopefull I can drop another 20 pounds and regain my endurance.  If your not interested in riding you could always help out in the pits or be one of the course marshalls, simpel 10$ entrance fee for non riders and I believe marshalls are free, just be prepared for some fun riding ;D
And Yes, I'm nuts.  This coming January we will training 160 of our finest, we will be pulling doubles each day.  I can only hope for an early Spring.
Wanna see some of the pics?  checkout the PSSOR Face book page.  Give us some likes :)  Tell us what you think.