Author Topic: Anyone here ever own a Voyager 1200?  (Read 12527 times)

Offline h2smokin

Anyone here ever own a Voyager 1200?
« on: May 19, 2013, 09:42:52 AM »
I'm looking to get another bike to keep in california at my great aunt's house for when I visit there. Want something with a radio and such to keep the wife happy. My friend has a mint 1200 with all the bells and whistles of the day. Only 16k on the clock and nothing wrong with the bike at all. He's wanting $3500 which is a little more than I want to pay but it has new tires, carbs completely gone through , everything works and not a scratch on it. Any thoughts?

Offline h2smokin

Re: Anyone here ever own a Voyager 1200?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »
Forgot it's a 1997

Offline TJ

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
Almost bought one of these on several occasions. Although I never owned one did a lot of research and they are built on a pretty much bullet proof platform. It was Kawasaki's attempt to keep up with the Gold Wing but at a reduced price.

New tires? Look at the sides of the tire and determine what year they were made. Take it for a test ride and offer him $3,000 cash and see what happens. You can always pony up the other $500 if he says no.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 10:07:00 AM »
He had the tires put on 2 years ago. I've known him for 30yrs+ and he's always taken care of his stuff. I've sold him a couple of bikes as well over the years. I just don't know much about these bikes. My only worry will be the bike sitting a lot and only ridden every 6 weeks or so

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 12:12:39 PM »
I owned a '94.  It was a good bike but I outgrew it...mentally not physically.  I don't remember anything endemic to the '97s.  At least it looks like a Voyager XII.  Not like that abomination they have now.  And no, I don't have an opinion on it.  The AVA has a good site http://www.amervoyassoc.org/  Lots of real good people, just like here.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2013, 12:53:32 PM »
I had a mint '99 for several years.  The bike was Kawasaki's answer to Honda's Gold Wing.  Suzuki also answered with the Calvalcade and Yamaha with the Venture.

Here's text from a post I made back in 2009:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Voyager is nothing like a GL 1200.  It is listed at only 735 lb. compared to Concours 649. 

The Voyager's stock suspension is pretty marginal, until you take some steps to set it up right, ie: Progressive springs, proper fork oil etc.

The Voyager's in line 1200cc 4 is torquey, and I kid you not, is about dead even with a Concours in real world acceleration.  Drag strip numbers no.  Voyager is torquier down low, and the Concours will pull away in the upper rev ranges, but not by much, and then only after it catches up to the Voyager due to its initial low rpm range torque advantage.  The Voyager is also extremely smooth, no vibes.  It has hydraulic lifters, ie: no valve adjustments.  The Voyager gets better mpg than Concours.

Handling, when suspension is setup right, and it is ridden right, is surprisingly quick for the apparent visual bulk of the Voyager.  It will stay right with a Concours in most cornering situations, until things start getting pretty aggressive.  Then the Concours has the edge in cornering clearance and capability, and on being more nimble.   

Surprisingly, the measurement from tip of one mirror, to tip of the other is identical, each about 36".  The Voyager's fairing and windshield are wider however.  Also surprising is that the Concours has better weather protection.  Its the better cool and cold weather choice.  This may seem contradictory, but the Voyager MUST have some air wings IMO, to tame the heat on hot days, even moreso than the Concours.

The width on the rear, from outer bag edge to outer bag edge, is 36" on the Concours and only 32" on the Voyager.  There is significantly more storage room on the Voyager in both the bags and the cavernous trunk.  I don't know its litre capacity, but that Voyager trunk will hold more than any Givi I've ever heard of.

There is no comparison of any of the Honda GL's up through the 1500 models, to the Voyager in any performance area.  The Voyager is not boring to ride or sluggish in any way.

Which to choose?  I chose both.  Concours came first, Voyager second for 2 up comfort.  My wife and I take long trips.  The Voyager provides a lot of room for both of us, unlike the Concours.  I am not a 150 lb, 5' 9" rider.  If so, 2 up might work for me on the Concours.  Being 6' 1" and 230 lb, it just didn't work for us.  Hence, the Voyager. 

There's so much room on the Voyager, especially once I installed a $40 trunk mount extender kit, that I have to reach back to touch my wife's leg to know if she's still back there!  We're not spooned together on the Voyager like we are on the Concours.  Not that there's anything wrong with that, but after a couple of hours into a long multi day trip, that gets pretty old when you can't move much due to being crammed together on the bike.

Your decision will have to be based on which one provides the most advantages for what you want most out of your bike.  IMO, the fun factor is large on either one, so its not a bad choice either way.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm curious, are you saying the GL1200 is slower or faster than the Voyager?? I have an 85' LTD and have considered getting
a later model bike. The 01-03 Voyagers are out there in decent numbers and the prices are pretty good. I'd like some more input if you don't mind since this is a comparison thread and it makes sense to highlight the GL1200 and Voyager differences since they look very much alike.

I can say this for a fact, MY GL1200 and Concours are in no way shape or form comparable. The Connie excels at just about every area. I've gone out on a 4000 mile trip with the Connie and it performed flawlessly and was compfortable and efficient. The Goldwing is very good as well. Goldwing quality is tough to beat but, for one up riding and overall a blast, I'd give the Connie the edge every time.

To clarify, IMO the Voyager is superior to the GL's up to 1500 model in any performance area.  The ride of the Voyager may not be as plush as a GL, but that's what allows it to be much more in cornering than you expect by looking at it.

I also agree with the post that describes the Voyager doing things a Concours does, just not 'willingly'.  You have to ride it right and work it more in the handling department, including some body english, to make it do what the Concours does in most normal situations, but it can be done and is a lot of fun. 

In the Voy / Conc comparo, to the advantage of the Voyager the engine has a lot of grunt in the mid rpm range that provides a lot of push without having to be in the exact gear for the situation.  You have to be above a two and a half grand but from there on up to 5 or 6 grand, you get a nice wallop of torque delivered from a very smooth and quite engine, all without having to wring out the engine to its rpm limits.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Tele130

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 12:17:40 PM »
I was about to pull the trigger on this beauty the same day I found the the Connie.

Good thing I didn't since I'm thinking about Downsizing from the Connie. ::)

They are FANTASTIC bikes.  Just remember what that bike was designed to do..............Touring.  Not a hot rod or a corner carver.  Keep that in mind and you'll be very happy.  Best of luck.
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 01:22:17 PM »
We certainly enjoyed ours...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 05:31:38 PM »
I put 50,000 miles on an '01 Voyager.  It is a sporty touring bike that is a great machine with progressive springs up front and Progressive shocks out back. I sold it in 2010 and bought the new more roomy Voyager.

There is a lot of support for the XII at the AVA and a local chapter in California. 

If you don't buy it let me know where it is.  At that price and mileage I am interested.

Here is mine.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 05:37:20 PM »
Here is mine carving corners.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Tele130

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 05:39:45 PM »
Ok. Make a liar out of me.  :rotflmao:

Doug Colton

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 05:45:29 PM »
Didn't <real> Voyagers have six cylinders?

[duckin', runnin' and grinnin']

Brian

I'm looking to get another bike to keep in california at my great aunt's house for when I visit there. Want something with a radio and such to keep the wife happy. My friend has a mint 1200 with all the bells and whistles of the day. Only 16k on the clock and nothing wrong with the bike at all. He's wanting $3500 which is a little more than I want to pay but it has new tires, carbs completely gone through , everything works and not a scratch on it. Any thoughts?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Tele130

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
Didn't <real> Voyagers have six cylinders?

[duckin', runnin' and grinnin']

Brian

Alright. Here I go again shooting my mouth off.  ;D. I think the only 6 banger Voyager was the 1986 model. The first year?  Kawasaki took it from the KZ1300.

Doug Colton

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2013, 05:25:36 AM »
Alright. Here I go again shooting my mouth off.  ;D. I think the only 6 banger Voyager was the 1986 model. The first year?  Kawasaki took it from the KZ1300.

The 1300 Voyager was introduced in '83-'84 and overlapped the 1200 Voyager. It may have run until '88.  The first 1200 (XII) Voyager came out in '86.  In '87 they added cruise control and rear speakers.  In the following years up until '03 there were minor changes and improvements.

The Voyager 1300 was a beast of a bike.  Way ahead of it's time and not well received.
My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »

Did you buy the bike?  Did you also know that it has hydraulic valves so no valve adjustments.  Just fluid changes, some minor adjustments and service and ride, ride, ride.
My Concours Travels:

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2013, 09:07:07 PM »
No I have'nt bought the bike. Still debating after all this time. He needs the money but I hate to take his bike. He does have a couple of others so he would not be without. Think friendship and guilt getting in the way. It looks like the one two wheel addict had. I have to talk to him some more about it. We'll see. Thanks for input folks