Author Topic: Anyone have or owned a recent model Goldwing?  (Read 6911 times)

Offline NuckaMan

Anyone have or owned a recent model Goldwing?
« on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:16 PM »
Ok, first off, I'm not even 40 yet so I'm a little leery of even considering one but....

I just came back from a 3-day weekend trip around California on a borrowed 2012 Goldwing. While I've driven a few in the past, only at a few mile paces around the block, and never extended ride like on a 1200 mile weekender. I handed the bike and keys back to the owner last night, it's been 25 hours now and still cannot get the bike out of my mind.

Right now, there are 3 three things preventing me from going out and getting one right now.....cost, $28K for the version with ABS, holy-crap!!!!! space.....I would need to make the ultra-painful and difficult decision to sell one of my two current bikes, Connie-14 or BMW GSA, to make room in the garage for the behemoth. Time.....I do not get enough time off per year to really enjoy a luxo-tourer like a Goldwing.

Anyways, this one goes out to current or former Goldwing owners, what are your thoughts on the old mighty Goldwing, especially if you have experience with a bike like the Connie.

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Anyone have or owned a recent model Goldwing?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 09:56:18 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:35 AM »
I had an 06 ABS before I bought my 09 C14... put over 32k on it in the little over 2 years I had it.  I'll end up with another one, I'm sure.  I loved the bike, but I was dragging parts all over the Rockies in the real twisty bits...  ;D

I lived in Houston when I bought the Wing... it was great for all the BBQ and Pie runs I was doing there... it is a great mile eater... I rode from Denver straight down to Houston to visit my dad... stayed a few days... then straight shot up to Washington DC to catch up w/ the family at my Sister In Laws.  Was there a week... then straight shot back to Denver.

I had EdSets... phone integration... my Zumo 550 w/ XM Radio... TorqMaster pipes... CB... it was setup for IBA ridding, which I liked to do, not so much anymore.
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 10:51:15 AM »
Although I have not done any trips on a Goldwing, I would suggest keeping the Connie. My two cents.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 11:07:59 AM »
Although I have not done any trips on a Goldwing, I would suggest keeping the Connie. My two cents.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 11:08:16 AM »

+1

I know I will... it's my go fast in the twisties machine...  there was a reason for the change.  8)

Rob

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 11:43:51 AM »
I rented one while at the COG National in Vermont.
Great mile eater going to and from the National.
Rode the twisties (with wife on back) following other COGgers on Connies.
It did better than I had expected in the twisties, but was a heavy beast to manuver in parking lots etc.
If you like riding miles cross country, can't be beat.
If you like the twisties,,,, keep Connie.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline TJ

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2013, 10:23:44 AM »
Used to love Wings. Bought an 05 in Kentucky and rode it back solo to Alaska in 7 days. But, they need about 25 more hp as well as a 6th gear. If I were buying a new tourer today I would go with the BMW 1600 GTL.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline JJFLASH

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2013, 07:20:27 AM »
Ok, first off, I'm not even 40 yet so I'm a little leery of even considering one but....

I just came back from a 3-day weekend trip around California on a borrowed 2012 Goldwing. While I've driven a few in the past, only at a few mile paces around the block, and never extended ride like on a 1200 mile weekender. I handed the bike and keys back to the owner last night, it's been 25 hours now and still cannot get the bike out of my mind.

Right now, there are 3 three things preventing me from going out and getting one right now.....cost, $28K for the version with ABS, holy-crap!!!!! space.....I would need to make the ultra-painful and difficult decision to sell one of my two current bikes, Connie-14 or BMW GSA, to make room in the garage for the behemoth. Time.....I do not get enough time off per year to really enjoy a luxo-tourer like a Goldwing.

Anyways, this one goes out to current or former Goldwing owners, what are your thoughts on the old mighty Goldwing, especially if you have experience with a bike like the Connie.

I traded in a 2002 GL1800 for the 2011 Concours.  In a nutshell, if you ride 2 up the GL1800 is the way to go.  It has the best passenger accommodations of any MC out there.  If you ride solo the C14 is a good option.  The GL1800 is extremely well optioned, the linked brakes and ABS are light years ahead of Kawi's attempt.  The GL1800 is bullet proof and can be ridden extremely aggressively.  A good rider on a GL1800 will embarrass an average rider on a C14 in the twisties but will lose in a drag race.  The GL1800 is heavier than the C14 but like the C14 seems to drop the weight once it starts rolling.  Comparatively, the GL1800 has a lower center of gravity and excellent tip-over protection.  It doesn't need canyon cages or tip over blocks.

So why did I trade it in???  The GL1800 is heavy, long and a lot of bike to drag around for a solo rider.  I bought this to tour with my wife.  She rides her own now and I don't need the it anymore.  At 10 years old some of the switches started to fail.  Replacing or repairing switches can be expensive.  The GL1800 holds it value.  I traded an 11 year old GL with 56K  miles straight up for the 2011 zero miles (new) Concours.  I paid $15.500 in 2002. I don't see the Concours holding it value.

Both bikes need suspension upgrades out of the box.  In my opinion both bikes are under sprung and under damped.

The GL1800 had some early problems and recalls but Honda handled them well and covered them under warranty.  I think the later models are pretty well sorted out now.

I bought mine when I was 42.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2014, 09:35:28 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2014, 10:52:09 PM »

I hope I never get old enough to buy a Gold Wing. Plus anyone who pays 28k + tax is a little nutty with all the other less expensive bikes available- that happens to be 3X what I paid for a 3 year old C-14 with 2,000 miles on it and not even one scratch. I've been smilin' ever since.

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2014, 07:12:04 AM »

I hope I never get old enough to buy a Gold Wing. Plus anyone who pays 28k + tax is a little nutty with all the other less expensive bikes available- that happens to be 3X what I paid for a 3 year old C-14 with 2,000 miles on it and not even one scratch. I've been smilin' ever since.

Equating a C14 to a Wing is a little nutty... different modes of 2 wheel transportation.  ;)
Rob

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2014, 11:27:21 AM »

I think he needs to get his head and shoulders a little more inside and stand that thing back up a little.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 01:21:46 PM »

You are grossly misinformed or under the wrong impression, it is not an "old mans bike".
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 01:51:58 PM »
I think he needs to get his head and shoulders a little more inside and stand that thing back up a little.  8)
No doubt. Looks borderline on recovery. A bit of decreasing radius and it's all over. Anyone know the license plate?

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2014, 05:50:13 PM »

You are grossly misinformed or under the wrong impression, it is not an "old mans bike".

I'm neither- I'm just not ready to ride a double-butted couch down the road.

Offline ManofManyGTs

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2014, 06:29:33 PM »
What about selling both bikes and getting the BMW K1600GTL?  From what I hear, the 1600 is super fast, has all the luxury and touring ability of the wing, and has all the sporty twisty goodness of the Connie.
2012 C14: Bar raisers, bag protection, magnetic tank bra, PCA rack and back rest, V&H slip-on, BMC race filter, and Guhl tune

Offline Shoe

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2014, 12:22:53 PM »
I am a 2010 Gold Wing Owner and I ride a 08 C14. I like em both. I understand your painful decision. I don't have room for a third bike.
If I had the money, space and time I would have a fleet of bikes. There are so many to ride and so little time.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline TJ

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2014, 11:21:47 PM »

I bought my first Wing when I was 31 or 32. Don't worry grass hopper some day you will be giving some serious thought to buying one:)
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 11:44:04 AM »
I bought my first Wing when I was 31 or 32. Don't worry grass hopper some day you will be giving some serious thought to buying one:)

I bought a brand new 1987 Aspencade (Wineberry) when I was about 29. It was a great bike for hauling the wife on trips. If I remember correctly (and that's a sketchy prospect), it cost me about $7,800. (I also had a 1985 Honda Magna 700 for my other running around.)

If I had the room, and the money, I might buy one now. They have their purpose.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold