Author Topic: USB port in dash  (Read 2362 times)

Offline SmokinRZ

USB port in dash
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:50:59 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good quality USB port for the left socket in the dash?  This is to charge my phone and I don't want to kill my phone with some cheap USB port.  Thanks 
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: USB port in dash
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 10:04:05 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good quality USB port for the left socket in the dash?  This is to charge my phone and I don't want to kill my phone with some cheap USB port.  Thanks

Yes.  I use this one and love it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00M6QODH2
AUKEY Car Charger, Flush Fit Dual Port 24W/4.8A $10

It is almost absolutely flush, fits tightly and snug, looks factory, and supports fast charge.  It is not waterproof, though.  But I keep my bike covered.  So far, using it for over two years on bike with no problems.  I bought several more- for car, for friends, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SmokinRZ

2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2019, 10:31:54 PM »
I bought one similar to what you linked, but it's lit up in red to match the color of my dash. Useful in low light when I want to connect my phone or charge other electronics. These come in blue, green and now also has a voltmeter.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=B01HPSYBKE

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2019, 12:19:06 AM »
I need one of those for my truck.  But I was thinking something along these lines [stand-alone/drill hole] so I don't have to add a power socket.

That would work, if you are willing to drill a new hole and run more wires (plus it would be more water resistant (presumably as long as it is vertical mounted).  I like the illuminated one with voltmeter for just $2 more.

But you already have a power socket on the Concours 14.  Are you using it for something else?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2019, 05:28:41 AM »
The previous owner took out the left plug in the dash and had a cheap socket in there that I removed.  Now I have a hole that I need to fill and my phone batteries don't seem to last a whole day.  The wiring is switched so I could go the LED route.   
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2019, 05:39:54 AM »
The previous owner took out the left plug in the dash and had a cheap socket in there that I removed.  Now I have a hole that I need to fill and my phone batteries don't seem to last a whole day.  The wiring is switched so I could go the LED route.   

Ah- that 'splains it!

Here is the other thing I recommend: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J3JSEG6
USB Meter, DROK Digital Multimeter USB 2.0, Multifunctional Electrical Tester, Capacity Voltage, Current Power Meter Detector Reader with Dual USB Ports, LED Display, 7 Modes $10

Or something similar (that one is a bit old now and doesn't support fast charge 3 and it is a bit confusing between when to use port 1 and port 2).  A USB tester is great to test your cables and chargers.  Yep- poor or damaged USB cables can actually radically lower the charge rate, too.  I found several bad cables using testers (and many poor chargers, and even damaged connectors on devices).

Offline SmokinRZ

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2019, 05:42:28 AM »
I think I will go with the simple non LED port.  Should look factory installed.   
2008 Concours
2005 Concours (gone)
1992 Concours (gone)
1998 R1100GS

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2019, 04:33:25 PM »
I think I will go with the simple non LED port.  Should look factory installed.

I like that it has a correct rubber boot/cap.  I do like what I have, though, since I can still use a 12V accessory too, if needed (by popping out the usb charger insert).  Of course, on the 2nd Gen the thing has SUPER tiny wires and only a 5A fuse, so one has to be careful if trying to use anything "large" (like a compressor).  That said, I have never used it for anything EXCEPT usb charging...

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2019, 05:32:59 PM »
I recently bought this one.
Don't have a clue if it's any good, but liked the extra option.
Will wire it to non keyed power so the GPS doesn't kick off every time I do a short stop..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/362482524493

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2019, 05:42:09 PM »
remote fuse box.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2019, 05:45:10 PM »
oh, and I'm currently charging my battery, thru that under seat box... also.. nice.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline chap

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
I found some of the USB plug in adaptors would keep sliding out of the socket (with all the vibration). If you get one that is a tight fit you may be OK. I just added a USB on the left side. Works great, and still have the right side big plug available.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2019, 04:14:58 PM »
I found some of the USB plug in adaptors would keep sliding out of the socket (with all the vibration).

I have not found that to be the case with the one I recommended, above.  Sometimes I think it might actually be TOO tight (but it really is designed to be left in-place).  Although I have had that  problem with a different (inferior) model I was using, prior.

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2019, 04:57:33 PM »
I use the one in the Garmin Zumo wiring harness. It has a big rubber boot that seals around the USB that you plug into it. Best part is that it not only charges the phone, but it also pulls traffic and weather data from your phone if you have the garmin app installed on your phone. You can also Bluetooth the garmin to your helmet. If you like music while you ride, the Garmin will play the music on your phone to your helmet.

If you don’t want all of the connectivity, you can just charge your phone with it.
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike