Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 2983 times)

Offline ConnerNA

• Why do they clap for the daily double?
    • BBQ Basics
Hobbies
« on: June 28, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
Outside of Bike anyone into slow smoked BBQ?

I have been for many years have my own bbq blog (http://bbqbasics.blogspot.com/) and looking to get my first book published here real soon.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
Re: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 02:43:14 PM »
I really like to BBQ, but don't do it much as the only thing I have right now is one of those 55 gal. drum cookers. I have done it before but it takes a lot more work than any decent smoker. There is one that Academy has that I want. It has a smoker on one side and a griller on the other. Costs about $300. I don't see it on their website though.

One technique that I like that a lot of people have had luck with is they get a stainless steel basket (still having trouble actually finding one) to fit in the charcoal side of their smoker and nearly fill it to the top with charcoal. Then they get a separate batch of charcoal and get it lit real good then lay it on top of the charcoal in the basket. That way what happens is that it slowly burns the charcoal down and allows for much more even temperatures. I just can't recall the name of the technique. This as opposed to just stacking charcoal and lighting it and then adding charcoal as it burns down. That makes the temperature really fluctuate.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 04:48:41 PM »
Yep, I use cherry wood for most everything I smoke.  When I can find chunked, not chipped mesquite I will use that on london broil.  Been slacking lately, all my other hobbies have been getting in the way.  My favorite seasoning is Johhnies seasoning salt, and plenty of smoke.  The 4th is just around the corner-time fer ribs, brats, and yep-burgers!

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 04:52:25 PM »
You might just get some good replies if you have a more appropriate subject. Heck I came here to tell you about my barbie collection. (did I just type that outloud?) ;D
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
You might just get some good replies if you have a more appropriate subject. Heck I came here to tell you about my barbie collection. (did I just type that outloud?) ;D
Figures, fits in with yer Pepsi collection ;)  At least it isnt a Ken doll collection, although GI Joe wouldnt be innappropriate 8)

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 04:57:40 PM »
I used to be a home brewer... that got to be an expensive hobby when friends started to camp in front of my fridge  :o  Love to cook... grilling and BBQ'ing are two of my favorites.  When we move to CO from TX, my wife wouldn't let me moved my old Hondo smoker... it was 15 y/o... stuck in the ground... LOL!!!

I need to invest in a new smoker... ~$500 for a decent one up here... love to get a Spits-n-Pitts  8)  I think my neighbors would call the FD up here, they wouldn't know what to do with a proper smoker going on... LOL!!!  ::)

I hear the word BBQ here, means grilling... burgers and hot dogs.  I haven't had a good brisket in a while... could go for some cabrito ribs from Novosad's in Hallettsville  :thumbs:
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 07:48:24 PM »
Even as a Yankee, it irks me when my friends invite me to a "BBQ" and when I get there they're just grilling burgers and dogs. Where's my damn pulled pork?
"Always take the long way home."

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:06:52 PM »
LOL yeah BBQ gets put on everything...BBQ'n some burgers ha!

Yeah I dropped the trailer rig and went to a nice backyard unit, I was pretty amazed I was still able to fit 3 FULL SIZE (packer style, untrimmed) briskets, a HUGE tray of chicken 4 racks of beef ribs and still had room to spare....the other thing I like is it still takes full size logs with ease so I don't mess with chips or chunks, just full size logs.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 05:12:55 AM »
I was looking at your black label bbq sauce recipe and thought of trying it. I think you have a typo on there. It says 33 tsp salt, 33 tsp pepper, 11 tsp red pepper. That might be a little salty and hot. lol

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 05:15:43 AM »
Outside of Bike anyone into slow smoked BBQ?

Never tried smoking it but I do like eating it....  Hard to roll up in a small cylinder and then light it.

My hobby is the bike.  It leave me little money and time for anything else.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 04:05:40 PM »
I am not into grilling and smoking, but sure would like to eat what someone else cooks !  ;D

But other than that, I am into building computers, pushing the components and gaming. I call my computer 'wife's bane'. Other than this forum, I am a regular at www.overclock.net
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ConnerNA

• BBQ Basics
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2011, 01:26:29 PM »
I was looking at your black label bbq sauce recipe and thought of trying it. I think you have a typo on there. It says 33 tsp salt, 33 tsp pepper, 11 tsp red pepper. That might be a little salty and hot. lol

That is why I call it black label!  :rotflmao:

Thanks for pointing it out!

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
BBQ for sure isnt grilling.......and yes I do my fair share of slow cooked/smoked BBQ. I have had various smokers over the years, and find that I can smoke best with my good ole Webber charcoal grill. I can't smoke bunches of meat like I could with my smokers, but what I can fit it there comes out fabulous. :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey