Author Topic: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east  (Read 33676 times)

Offline andreaF

Re: Another stab at a Coast to Coast in 50 hours, this time heading east
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2012, 12:44:34 PM »
I believe he should be dropping down to I-29S in Sioux Falls, then hopping on I-80E for most of the remainder, which is what he'll be on thru Chicago.

Unless something comes up that would cause him to detour...at this moment he's not anticipating any problems with that plan.

Andrea

What route will he be taking near Chicago?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline andreaF

« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »
He should have a solid BBG!  1590 miles in 23.5 hours!!!  ;D

Still stuck in lots of heavy contruction really slowing him down and it's VERY windy...could barely hear him, so the conversation was cut very short... :( so until next time.

Andrea

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 03:25:11 PM »
He will hit some road construction on Interstate 80 west of Interstate 35 for about 10-12 miles my brother said. 1 lane in both directions @ 55mph or so. Good luck with the rest of the trip.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 04:04:31 PM »
Grats on the BBG!  While I question the motivation, I admire the effort, planning and determination.  Hope you get your 2nd CC50, Brian.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline andreaF

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2012, 04:54:42 PM »
He's at the 1780 mile mark;   he's been at it for 26.5 hours and he's avg 67.5 mph  booya!!  ;D

It's proven quite tedious at times between the construction & the wind.....apologies to the few folks who have called and he just couldn't answer......   There's been a few of our calls where I just get the stats from him & that's it....it has not be pleasant for him chit chatting for some time now....  and I imagine it will get somewhat worse as he tires.  We shall see!

I've passed along all you're well wishes, thanks to you all!!! 

Now the hard part begins the 2nd 24 hours......

Andrea

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »
nice!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline andreaF

« Reply #47 on: June 26, 2012, 07:49:02 PM »
1948 miles; 29hrs 7mins; avg speed 67mph!!  :-*

aside from construction everywhere....his biggest issue lately has been his fuel stops....closed stations & such; not much available on the highway.... that should change as he comes further east and they become much more plentiful.  However, with that said, he has had 75mins of "stop time" with 10 stops....so he's avg'd 7.5 min per stop.  Some of those stops he's gone inside to stock up on water & such.   So he's making great time as far as that goes, imo.

the temps are finally dropping, it's cooler, dry and the winds are gone.  Now as the sun is setting, his eye's will be peeled for Bambi (the forrest rat).

Andrea

Son of Pappy

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »
Well, I'm all packed up for the fam vac, leaving tomorow AM early so I will follow as I can.  Andrea, your'e an awesome lady married to a really good guy.  I sure look forward to seeing the end results.  Make sure you have lots of soap and hot water handy, he's gonna stink worse then a young pup in from a cow pasture ;D  You may want to explain the cat joke, not sure how many have seen his version ;)  He also has this really good little Johhny joke, but we'll save that for the campfire ;D

Offline andreaF

« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2012, 02:58:23 AM »
Thanks that's sweet of you to say  :-[ & we hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation!! 
I hadn't thought about the smelly part, since I didn't have the luxury of meeting him at the end last year's ride.....  :o
I just spoke to him and he does sound great!

he's at 2424; 36.hrs 42mins; 66.2avg speed
according to zoomo he's got 667miles to go to the gas station in Rye....

Andrea

Well, I'm all packed up for the fam vac, leaving tomorow AM early so I will follow as I can.  Andrea, your'e an awesome lady married to a really good guy.  I sure look forward to seeing the end results.  Make sure you have lots of soap and hot water handy, he's gonna stink worse then a young pup in from a cow pasture ;D  You may want to explain the cat joke, not sure how many have seen his version ;)  He also has this really good little Johhny joke, but we'll save that for the campfire ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2012, 04:07:07 AM »
I'll give him a shout in a coupla hours, gotta see how the hoof is holding out ;D

Offline andreaF

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2012, 05:11:10 AM »
Mornin all!  He's coming in on the home stretch! 
@6:47 this morning he was 53 miles out of cleveland, OH

he was at 2562miles; about 39.5hours; avg speed 66.0

zoomo says there's 535miles left to go!!!

Andrea

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »
I really enjoy getting up and sprinting to the computer to see how th0e night went.  Do you suppose we can talk him into doing another in a week or two?   

Offline andreaF

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2012, 06:38:17 AM »
I really enjoy getting up and sprinting to the computer to see how th0e night went.  Do you suppose we can talk him into doing another in a week or two?

Gee let me think.... :nuts:  NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andrea

Offline andreaF

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2012, 08:16:49 AM »
OK folks....getting down to the wire....  he has 327 miles to go AND he may be able to make it on his current tank, meaning no more stops!  That would bring him into RYE at about 2:48 barring any traffic jams, or other delays.

He's got 2770 miles under his belt; been at it for about 44hours; ave speed is 65.7   8)

If anyone is able to meet him...please take pics!!!!

Andrea

Offline andreaF

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:08 AM »
You may have seen the spot stop....I just got off the phone with Brian and here's the deal....he's ok at the moment, but was not feeling well, lightheaded and just felt "funny" as he put it, so he's pulled off the road and is resting.

He's waiting to get checked out by medics at the moment, and has no desire to get back on the bike.  I'm sure a combination of heat, no sleep & a small amount of dehydration thrown in there is what was talking to him.

I'll let you all know when I hear from him again.......
so close........

Andrea

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2012, 10:53:19 AM »
Our prayers are with him he is alright & our fingers are crossed he can finish it.
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2012, 11:04:55 AM »
All thinking of him and wishing him well. Hope he can continue, but not if he has to risk his life to do so. What is he, about 250 miles short?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline andreaF

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2012, 11:13:06 AM »
All thinking of him and wishing him well. Hope he can continue, but not if he has to risk his life to do so. What is he, about 250 miles short?

thanks for the well wishes and yes, just about 250 left to go..... But is he is a very cautious person and wouldn't push himself unnecessarily.

I don't imagine he'll be finishing the ride....I could imagine a possiblity of a ride to the local hospital & a bike tow...then he'll deal with coming home another day.... But this is me guessing, as I'm still waiting to hear what the medic's say......

Andrea

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2012, 11:17:27 AM »
thanks for the well wishes and yes, just about 250 left to go..... But is he is a very cautious person and wouldn't push himself unnecessarily.

I don't imagine he'll be finishing the ride....I could imagine a possiblity of a ride to the local hospital & a bike tow...then he'll deal with coming home another day.... But this is me guessing, as I'm still waiting to hear what the medic's say......

Andrea

What time is his official 50 hour mark?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold