Author Topic: Loctite thread tape  (Read 4269 times)

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
Loctite thread tape
« on: June 02, 2011, 06:10:57 AM »
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
Re: Loctite thread tape
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 06:21:34 AM »
Never used and I use plenty of Loctite. I'm unclear what the advantages are of a tape vs the liquid. My guess is the tape is aimed more at industrial piping or construction situations, rather than on vehicles.

BTW, most people use thread lock compounds completely wrong . . . but that's a topic for another day.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:47 AM »
New product; looks interesting.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CrashKLRtoConnie

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:07:41 AM »
Your listed product also looks interesting .... will have to look closer at it.

I had problems with Blue Loctite leaking / drying out so bought and tried this product.
Easy to carry on the bike and easy to apply without dripping.
Been using it since 2008 when I owned a new KLR650 single.

Permatex ThreadLocker Gelpen Threadlock Blue Gel

http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Permatex-ThreadLocker-Gelpen-Threadlock/dp/B002NHKMHY/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1307081169&sr=1-1

2008 C14 GTR1400 AKA "Connie"

Bergmenized

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:07:51 AM »
Never used and I use plenty of Loctite. I'm unclear what the advantages are of a tape vs the liquid. My guess is the tape is aimed more at industrial piping or construction situations, rather than on vehicles.

BTW, most people use thread lock compounds completely wrong . . . but that's a topic for another day.

You can add it to this one, I'm interested.

Dan

Offline bob14

• go forth and meet the shadowy future without fear
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 10:13:14 AM »
just seems easier to apply and the blue should indicate strength (?)
I'll check Lowes this weekend if not get some online
2008 C14
COG 8211
AMA 848986
Some people try to turn back their odometers. Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way. I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 10:44:34 AM »

:popcorn:
Tony P. Crochet

Offline JetJock

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 12:16:57 PM »
:popcorn:

Alright, crap, not getting any work done today anyhow. Here goes:

1. Never use it on a metal fastener that threads into a metal insert in a plastic part. If you do, you may end up stripping the metal insert OUT of the plastic if you try to remove it. Seriously not good if that happens.
2. Thread locking compounds typically take 24 hours to cure, thus making it worthless to apply a few minutes before going riding . . . which then leads to . . .
3. Repeatedly applying more Loctite to a threaded fastener without FIRST removing all traces of the old will give you a false torque reading and you're actually making the fastener MORE likely to loosen
4. Use the correct type. There are many and they have specific applications and torque ranges. You gotta match them up.
5. More is NOT better. A few drops is better than slathering it on.
6. Don't use on shock bolts that thread directly into the frame or actually any suspension bolt.
7. If you mistakenly use RED Loctite it will take an act of God/Thor/Zeus to loosen it. And maybe not then. A butane torch may work, but there are lots of places you don't want to be using a torch on a bike.
8. Check the Service Manual. If the factory didn't spec a thread locking compound, then don't use it unless you're having a problem keeping that fastener tight. Don't just use it as "insurance" because it makes repairs and maintenance, especially the kind by the side of the road/raining/night much more exciting than it needs to be.
9. You must use Loctite primer on stainless, plated or anodized steel threads for the Loctite to work.
10. Putting Loctite on a fastener with dirty/corroded/dull threads can actually lead to stripping the threads out of whatever part you install it on when you later go to loosen it. 

Them's the facts. Note that "facts" are generally the opposite of "opinions." No I don't work for Loctite, but I WILL graciously accept a cash contribution to my Farkle Fund if anyone from 3M reads this.  ;D

Offline Boomer343

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
So now I'm confused....do I put the anti sieze on before or after the Red Loctite.....there really is a market for a combination anti sieze thread locker.....

Just kidding.....

Haven't used the tape....like the gel ....folks do need to use these properly for them to be effective......but the biggest issue for the home wrench....

Using the stuff before it expires.....after opening it has a shelf life ( 6 months?) and the gels have a best before date printed on them.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 10:15:55 PM »
So now I'm confused....do I put the anti sieze on before or after the Red Loctite.....there really is a market for a combination anti sieze thread locker.....

Just kidding.....

Haven't used the tape....like the gel ....folks do need to use these properly for them to be effective......but the biggest issue for the home wrench....

Using the stuff before it expires.....after opening it has a shelf life ( 6 months?) and the gels have a best before date printed on them.

NEVER mix Loctite and anti-sieze.  Youll start a chain reaction that your containment fields can't control, and you'll suffer a warp-core breach that will send your motorcycle hurtling into a chronosynchlastic infindibulum, which will squirt you out through an unstable worm-hole into the Delta Quadrant......and you know what happens there............

However, putting your can of anti-sieze in the microwave prior to using it, will cause a space-time distortion that will send your hardware through a temporal rift, unstripping stripped threads, ungalling gall stones and reversing the polarity of your nuts, causing every threaded fastener on your Connie to become left-handed Whitworth.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 12:47:39 AM »

BTW, most people use thread lock compounds completely wrong . . .

Most? Based on . . . ?
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 03:29:20 AM »
Most? Based on . . . ?

Must be based on personnel experiance.....  ::)
Tony P. Crochet

Offline JetJock

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 07:13:34 AM »
NEVER mix Loctite and anti-sieze.  Youll start a chain reaction that your containment fields can't control, and you'll suffer a warp-core breach that will send your motorcycle hurtling into a chronosynchlastic infindibulum, which will squirt you out through an unstable worm-hole into the Delta Quadrant......and you know what happens there............

However, putting your can of anti-sieze in the microwave prior to using it, will cause a space-time distortion that will send your hardware through a temporal rift, unstripping stripped threads, ungalling gall stones and reversing the polarity of your nuts, causing every threaded fastener on your Connie to become left-handed Whitworth.

Finally, an understandable plot summary of the TV show "Fringe"!

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 07:35:03 AM »
Finally, an understandable plot summary of the TV show "Fringe"!

I thought he was talking about LOST....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 07:37:07 PM »
All I can tell you about Loctite's products is what I have learned from using it for many many years...

Here is my BEST suggestion of what NOT to do...

Don't use "Press-Fit-Assist" on any bearing you might want to get off later and reuse.....

Don't ask me how I know this....   But heat will cure it and Loctite Red ain't got nothing on PFA ...

nuff said...

"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2011, 07:55:22 PM »
I love Fringe!!!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey