Author Topic: First drop- stopped, stupid, and unnecessary  (Read 5027 times)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
First drop- stopped, stupid, and unnecessary
« on: January 20, 2013, 09:15:37 AM »
OK, it is my turn now.  I knew it was just a matter of time.  After almost two years, I dropped the C-14 for the first time.  And not for any good reason either :(

Cross posting of:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=11871.msg150497#msg150497

This was going to be my coldest ride ever on a bike- 100 miles to visit mom and 100 back, I so pulled out ALL the stuff I have- acrylic long underwear, acrylic/wool socks, thick winter gloves, heated underjacket, helmet chin, heavy leather chaps, etc.  (Man it is hard to move with all that stuff on).  I made a CRITICAL mistake- I completely forgot to check traffic maps.

Sure enough, I was stopped by one of the typical, stupid, never-ending accidents at/near the tunnel.  The first several minutes were OK... then I realized I had a big problem- overheating.  All the electric stuff was off, opened shield, unzipped main jacket, etc.  But after 20..... 30.... 40 minutes, I was very uncomfortable and also wet.  I was zoned out a bit and was trying to adjust jacket or something and the bike tipped just a tiny bit too much and me with my short legs simply could not stop it and it fell, slowly, but without much breaking from me, on the right side.

I was unhurt but quite upset...  there had never been so much as a scratch anywhere on the bike.  Traffic was still stopped on the interstate, anyway.  I then tried  do to the "face away from the bike and try to use legs to stand it up" thing- yeah right... not at chance.   Before I could put too much effort into it, two guys jumped out of a truck and came over to help.  One guy said "what happened?"  I said "I honestly don't know, I just tipped over a bit too much" the other guy said "don't worry about it, I ride a Harley, this stuff happens."  It was quickly righted.  I was so wet and upset I knew the bike trip was out of the question, I used my emergency flashers and drove on the shoulder the 1.5 miles to the next exit and went home.  Waited a while then took the car.

Today I got a better look at the damage.  It is no surprise where it touched the two bars (see photos in sister cross-posting).  But I am concerned that it did apparently touch the edge of the lower fairing- I don't think anyone has mentioned that before.  Of course, if I didn't have the bars, the damage would have been far worse.

Now I have to deal with my stupid decision of getting chrome bars instead of painted.  Maybe I can put a bit of clear paint or silver paint on the scuffed section to prevent any rust.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: First drop- stopped, stupid, and unnecessary
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 09:20:13 AM »
Oh, I will add- as predicted, resulting bike/seat lowering and boot raising was not enough.    http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=260.15  Had it been more, this could have been prevented.  But there are limits to anything.  Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:38 AM »
You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Once they get to that tipping point, you don't realize how heavy it's going to get.
Joel from Maine.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2013, 10:16:25 AM »
You aren't the first and you won't be the last. Once they get to that tipping point, you don't realize how heavy it's going to get.

It gets really freaking heavy, really freaking fast.

I wouldn't feel so bad it if were due to a foot slip, something on the road, a panic stop, or SOMETHING.  But to just be sitting in traffic for a long time, stopped, and just fall over..... embarrassing.  Especially after nearly two years of no drops during near-collisions, major sand, oil slicks, missteps, really tight U-turns, etc.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
I was working my tail off all day long setting 300lb. precast 30-40 pieces on a Friday. Temps were right next to 100 degrees. I got on my bike that was parked on the sidewalk. All was good. I started to ride off the sidewalk down a wheelchair slope and stopped for traffic. Right then I got major rubber legs and couldn't hold it up. I was way more beat from the day than I thought. Down it went. I picked it back up and gave it a few minutes. Then headed home Bumming.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:03 AM »
I wouldn't beat yourself up over this Max. Plenty of 'taller' guys have dropped their bikes before and will again.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2013, 02:02:25 PM »
Yep, mine fell on me whilst parking it on the garage....  Forgot to put the side stand down.  Luckily for me I broke it's fall.  Very minor scuffing.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2013, 02:17:12 PM »
Yep, mine fell on me whilst parking it on the garage....  Forgot to put the side stand down.  Luckily for me I broke it's fall.  Very minor scuffing.

Well even THAT is more reason than mine to be dropped!  I got out of the way, I wasn't interested in being what would break the fall.... the word "break" plus "leg" comes into mind...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2013, 02:48:08 PM »
 :D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline booger

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2013, 05:41:30 PM »
I never saw a first stop that wasn't stupid and unnecessary.
The neat thing is that almost always, in looking in retrospect, they are kind of humorous.

Get out the 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and the compound and get after it.

Your perfect bike will now be "near perfect".  And in a month, you really won't care because it's still a great ride.