Author Topic: speed limiter question  (Read 5731 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: speed limiter question
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2020, 09:56:59 AM »
Glad your doing it.
      But, it's not in my play-book anymore.

fyi; As I got older: My testicles didn't decrease in size.
                            My brain became larger.  :thumbs:
                            And I lost my "Get Out of Jail Free Card".
                                           :rotflmao:

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2020, 07:31:46 PM »
Jeez, y'all pretty....sensitive over the reference to gonads😅 I'm not getting any younger either, fellas. Mid 40s.
And if we're being perfectly honest, old IS the goal. Hopefully my extremities hold up as well and as long as many of yours have, although my hips are already problematic at times and sholders are worse yet already. Life of hard labor and good fun.

If I can catch you, I CAN ride with you🏍

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2020, 05:43:37 AM »
Mid 40s....damn near a spring chicken around here... ::)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2020, 12:42:00 PM »
Hardly out of Kindergarten..
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2020, 02:59:22 AM »
And I thought I was the youngster in these here parts at a mere 57 years old next month.  :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
Aches and pains come with age, but ya can't let them dominate your life.
I did 80 miles on the C14 and 110 miles on the C10 this weekend and yes it made me ache a little, but so does sitting on the sofa.
I just take painkillers when I have to and get on with life.  :banana
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2020, 08:07:39 PM »
165 on the speedo, no bags.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #46 on: September 04, 2020, 05:26:45 AM »
I think the best way to explain this is to explain the difference between analogue and digital instruments.
If you had both a digital and analogue speedometer you would see 2 different values.

The digital will show the exact value that the speed sensor is outputting as it is digital data.
The analogue will show an approximation of what the speed sensor is outputting because that digital data is converted to a voltage that is applied to the coil in the analogue speedometer and that voltage causes the needle to move against the force of the spring that is pulling it back down again.
Because of the non-linear nature of the spring your analogue speedometer will only at best be 100% accurate at one speed, relative to the input from the speed sensor.

So your sensor is outputting 72.1Mph, the digital speedometer reads 72.1Mph, the analogue speedometer reads 75Mph (or is it 76? It depends on your angle of view) and your REAL speed as measured by GPS or a calibrated laser/radar system is 68.9Mph.

All EU/UK speedos have to measure equal to or higher than the real speed. IIRC the tolerance is 0% to +10% since some point in the mid Noughties.
So, if your real speed (GPS, radar, etc) is 68.9Mph, that could be displayed as up to 75.8Mph and still be deemed acceptable but it is not allowed to display under the real speed. Manufacturers build in a tolerance to compensate for tyre wear and other variables that can affect the value that their speed sensor puts out. They do this so that you can't sue them for indicating a speed UNDER what you were actually doing, so your speedometer mostly reads between +5% and +10% even if it is digital.

In the USA commercial vehicles speedometers are required to be calibrated to +/- 5Mph at 50Mph so in theory can show 45 to 55Mph for a real speed of 50Mph. To my knowledge there are no US rules for cars or motorcycles, so they mostly follow the rest of the world with the 0% to +10% rule.

If you hit the speed limiter, you'd know about it as she would stop accelerating and probably even slow down slightly.
Chances are the bike is only capable of 153 in stock form anyways so the 2010- 155Mph limiter is a sop to certain countries who insisted on a 250Kph limiter.
The 08/09 was limited to 186Mph (300Kph) because that was what all the Japanese manufacturers agreed on after the Busa/ZX14 wars started to get silly.
That agreement now seems to have died since the H2 is way faster than that, as are some of the litre sportsbikes.
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2020, 06:12:55 PM »
If you notice, every time I post a speed I make sure to add the device I got the number from. So far, that has only been the stock speedometer. I never have claimed my miserable carcass has attained warp speed.

Here, let me repeat the original question in a different way....

Where will my speedometer needle be when I hit the factory speed limiter? What will my indicated speed be when the computer limits the engine's output to the rear wheel?

I never asked about "theoretical top speed" or "speedometer vs actual (GPS,radar,laser) speed".

The whole point of the opening post was "hey, I thought the 2012 had a speed limiter (155mph) that a flash eliminates among a gang of other benefits. There doesn't appear to be a limiter on mine."

With all the mathematical mental gymnastics performed in this thread I will feel truly assured that if I ever have the opportunity to hold-er open till it just won't go no more, I'm really truly doing 155😅

Offline PH14

« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2020, 08:48:02 PM »
Well, if your speedo reads 8% high, then your limiter will go off around 168 MPH. 8 percent is not an uncommon amount of error on a motorcycle speedo. That is what my RC51 was when I checked it to set the Speedo Healer.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #49 on: September 06, 2020, 07:56:41 AM »
Very well then. 170 on the clock. Need to stiffen up my rear damping to try that. I felt it was still pulling decent when I backed off at 165, but hard to tell with the wind at that speed. I have an old go pro that needs a battery and I'm planning on getting a new cell soon to get a good GPS number.

Pics or it didn't happen, right? Problem is, it's difficult to plan for a rare opportunity.
 Usually I'm commuting to/from work when the sun shines upon a wide, smooth, empty ribbon of asphalt begging to be swallowed up by the cruise missile as rapidly as possible. Drop the windshield, kick down to 3rd, open throttle, tuck and watch the plains on either side disappear into a blur. Rear starts wandering a bit around 150 on the clock, hence the comment about damping. It's just hard on the back/bike to ride that stiff all the time.

My latest number was acquired on a run to my parents house to grab a tablet that one of my kids forgot there, think it was a Saturday morning. Small backpack, no bags, 180 mile round trip.

Offline zrx mitch

« Reply #50 on: September 06, 2020, 08:23:32 AM »
On other Kawasaki models the speed limiter cut is handled by killing some of the ignition coils, you definitely feel/hear it and know what is happening.
IBA #18591

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2020, 08:46:10 AM »
  Pics or it didn't happen, right? Usually I'm commuting to/from work when the sun shines upon a wide, smooth, empty ribbon of asphalt begging to be swallowed up by the cruise missile as rapidly as possible. Drop the windshield, kick down to 3rd, open throttle, tuck and watch the plains on either side disappear into a blur.

Well Jethro you be careful out there doing this research!

Please don't pass anyone at those speeds on two lane roads.
They'll either turn left without a signal or someone will pull out onto the left lane from a side road, and those people only look left before they pull out...they
never check to see if someone is passing in their lane until they are at least half way in it. Don't force the issue just because of a camera. Personally I'll take your word for
it so don't take pics for me...and I'll bet that is how most feel here...probably your kids feel the same way.

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »
I frequent a 4-6 lane stretch of rural divided highway somewhere between Indianapolis and Chicago, 10 miles between exits, straight and flat.
Every now and then there's not a vehicle for as far as one can see. Eventually, cars appear in the distance and are quickly reeled in. Wind resistance at high speed will bring velocity back to acceptable levels well before final approach just by rolling off the throttle and sitting up a bit.
I don't care if someone has doubts, I'm just having fun. Would make a neat YouTube video if I can capture it. It is still risky. It is my vice. This thread certainly sparked more debate than I had anticipated.

"Speed limiter question" is not nearly as cut and dried as I had expected it to be.

Thank you for the love too. Seriously.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #53 on: September 06, 2020, 10:55:10 AM »
Yeah, that sometimes happens on the 'Net. One of the problems is that without direct interaction, no one can tell what mood or condition anyone else may be in when he / she posts. So 'prickly' responses are much more common than they are in person, at least generally. All of that said, this is a pretty calm forum and even at its peak, the vicious posts are just not all that viscous. :-)

The other thing could well be just a somewhat more serious question without any mean intent at all, again without personal interaction it is tough to gauge anything 'said' in normal conversation of forums. The gentleman who did respond to your post(s) is really OK and has been around here for a long time, as have I, and still I cannot really interpret the posts as to whether or not there was any negative intent- I am going to assume not though based on past experience.

These last few months have been tough for a lot of people, both directly as well as creating concern about the future. Some people are doing fine but some are having a hard time in one or more ways and that seems to be adding a bit of 'cranky' to the forum lately.

Funny thing about arguing on the 'Net though is that even if you prove your case, you can never really prove your case once the argument starts. At least that is my experience. So by all means, do whatever you want to do regarding your bike and speed but as Marty said, do not be goaded into doing anything to 'prove' anything because beyond being dangerous, in the end it almost certainly will not work anyway.

Nice bike though, isn't it?  ;)

Brian

<snip>

I don't care if someone has doubts, I'm just having fun. Would make a neat YouTube video if I can capture it. It is still risky. It is my vice. This thread certainly sparked more debate than I had anticipated.

"Speed limiter question" is not nearly as cut and dried as I had expected it to be.

Thank you for the love too. Seriously.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #54 on: September 06, 2020, 05:14:38 PM »
I frequent a 4-6 lane stretch of rural divided highway [...]10 miles between exits, straight and flat.
Every now and then there's not a vehicle for as far as one can see.

There is one similar spot here- flat, remote, 2 lane each way divided, perfect visibility, perfect pavement, remote, very low travel, etc.  There "might" be times I go really fast in such a condition.  In such a "theoretical" place, I wouldn't dream of ever doing it very long or around ANY other vehicles.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Jethrobolas

« Reply #55 on: September 06, 2020, 05:20:30 PM »
The "thank you" statement is an honest thank you. No sarcasm.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #56 on: September 06, 2020, 07:42:20 PM »
Yeah, I think we got that and I know I did. ??

I was trying to respond positively and non- sarcastically myself.

Put another way, its all good.

Brian

The "thank you" statement is an honest thank you. No sarcasm.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com