Author Topic: My other toy... You asked for it Steve!  (Read 2325 times)

Offline r2t2

My other toy... You asked for it Steve!
« on: February 06, 2012, 05:07:49 PM »
Ok Steve... You asked for it. A little history first. Prior to the back surgery the back was getting so painful that I could no longer drive the Miata... Which was a fun little car after I supercharged it...  8) So I happened upon a  '02 Subaru WRX on Craigslist (it almost been a year!) that was being sold by the used car dealer. I drove the Miata over and knew that it wasn't coming back home with me... The dealer drove the Miata and took the Subie out for a test drive... What a hoot getting this little AWD car sideways on some little used roads out behind Gowan Field (BOI). We worked a deal. Good thing too... There were three other guys behind me waiting to test drive the car. And as with the my bikes... I couldn't leave the Subie alone...

Here's the what it looked like when I picked it up.

This is after scoring some JDM Prodrive wheels (very light weight forged) and getting the some tint on the glass.

And after scoring some EDM HID headlights and JDM STI scoop  and oversized intercooler.

The short list of mods...
Tokico D-Spec struts
RCE Black (everyman) springs
Front Whiteline Com-C tophats
Rear 04 STI tophats
Steering box bushings
TiC font/rear shifter bushings
Front/rear 24mm Whiteline adjustable swaybars
STI rear swaybar mounts
Kartboy front endlinks
TiC Trailing arm bushings (front/rear)
TiC lateral link bushings
Anti-lift kit (comfort)
Prodrive GC-06D 17x7.5 wheels
Forced Performance HTA68 Turbocharger
GrimmSpeed 3 port EBCS
565 cc '08 fuel injectors
PRE Racing tune
Invidia catted TBE
Invidia Q300 CBE
Amsoil AE74 air filter
TurboXS TMIC,
JDM STi hood scoop and splitter
CX Racing 2" aluminum radiator
Mishimoto silicon radiator hoses
Timing belt, pulleys, water pump and cam/crank seals (83k miles)
H6 rear brake upgrade
EDM HID headlight, Lightwerks harness/ballasts
JVC NT3-HDT
Hertz speakers

The little monster handles like a dream and the turbo/injectors/tune netted me between 273 and just under 300 hp depneding on the temperature. So if I can't ride (yet), I can still have some fun!

Here's a link to the online album for more pics if anyone is interested.
https://picasaweb.google.com/rtkerr153/WRX?authuser=0&feat=embedwebsite
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: My other toy... You asked for it Steve!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2012, 07:55:04 PM »

OH MY THAT IS SWEET!!!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:17:55 PM »

I like Subi's and all high horsey handlers....bought my R to replace the thrill of riding a bike and I swear it does a great job of that. For those old enough to not have booster seats or do  have late high school kids heading to college- a high HP torque small cheapish car is really amazing. Watch yourself though my car does about 170 mph and I got 2 tickets in two weeks-two years after I bought it??? Bad luck ya -new premiums ya.
    By the way i have "only"done 140 in the car and can't imagine going faster and my tickets were for much less MPh. Never got tickets on my bikes.
   Fun Cars.
        Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »
Very nice car with tasteful mods!

I love scoobies.  I was very close to buying an STi Wagon clone that basically had everything from the Cobb catalog installed.  It had a couple problems (clutch wouldn't hold under anything more that 14 lbs of boost) that the owner wouldn't adjust the price for so we parted ways.  But that test drive sure was fun.

I love high powered AWD cars, my buddy had an R32 Skyline with the RB26 motor and it was built with forged internals and a Garrett T67 turbo.  480 hp and 440 lb ft to the wheels with a conservative 17-19 lbs of boost.   I had the opportunity to drive that car and an E92 M3 around the Nordschleife. Talk about a life altering experience.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 05:21:19 PM »
I approve!!!!!! Love my scoobie too.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline enumclaw

• The universe has a plan
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 05:59:21 PM »
I've got the same style and color in an '05.  Safe to say not nearly the mods you have, but a damn fun car to drive.

Good to see you back; are you going to make the Bun Cooler this year?

Rob

DL650: KLR250: C10

Offline r2t2

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »
Thanks for the compliments guys... The thing (about me) that cracks me up is that I "limited" myself to "only" getting it tunes to 300 HP... Way more than enough to get me in trouble. Much more on the WRX drivetrain and you're replacing gear sets, diffs and just about everything in the drivetrain. High HP AWD little cars are just about as much fun as riding bikes. Some of the local mountain roads are actually more fun in the Subie. You can really throw it into the curves and four (larger) contact patches make for a lot of fun. I find myself driving the car like I ride the bike... Have fun in the curves and just kinda poke along on the straights...

I AM planning on making the Bun Cooler. That's been the carrot.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i