Author Topic: lugging the motor  (Read 8712 times)

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
Re: bike shutting off
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2011, 01:32:41 PM »
Back on topic....

I would have never known that my bike would do this had the op not asked someone to try it.  Other than that my bike runs well.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 04:55:40 PM by Tactical_Mik »
T.S.R.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2011, 02:19:23 PM »
Can someone please steer this thread back on topic or lock it?

I don't lock threads for going off topic.  If I did, most of them would be locked.  We don't want that do we?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2011, 02:20:20 PM »
I'll be taking mine out to warm up for an oil change here shortly and will let you know if mine does it.

Update:  Using fourth and shifting at 60/70/80 to 5th.....no issues.  Tach needle dropped at a moderate speed to the idle setting although I must say I'm not used to that much time waiting before the next shift.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 03:25:35 PM by vajim »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »
When I get off of work tomorrow, I'll bump up my idle to 1150 or 1200 rpm and try it again just to see.  Right now I'm set at or just below 1100 rpm.
T.S.R.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2011, 05:14:23 PM »
My idle is sitting at about 1200 give a take a few rpms...

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2011, 05:29:53 PM »
Sorry my PC blocker was off. The concours ecu shuts fuel down during off throttle times. My understanding was that it was for EPA standards. Most riders shift without going from Wfo to no throttle. If that's the way your riding your doing it wrong. I hope most understand this and while my post was blunt it was probably accurate. Going from Wfo to no throttle is not the most normal way to shift.

I will go try it right now though just to be sure I'm being fair with my comments.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2011, 06:41:10 PM »
Sorry my PC blocker was off. The concours ecu shuts fuel down during off throttle times. My understanding was that it was for EPA standards. Most riders shift without going from Wfo to no throttle. If that's the way your riding your doing it wrong. I hope most understand this and while my post was blunt it was probably accurate. Going from Wfo to no throttle is not the most normal way to shift.

I will go try it right now though just to be sure I'm being fair with my comments.

Its not operator error. I think after over 100k miles of riding I have figured out how to shift gears.

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:06 PM »
Well not to be a dick (im refering to myself vajim) but I have over 45K miles on two different c14s and I have never seen this (issue).  Now on to the scientific data I was able to replicate the same thing in 5th gear from 40 to 70 wfo grab the clutch and completely letting go of the throttle the bike died.  It never happened in 4th.  Now to my previous observations I have never encountered this while using a normal (to me) shifting technique.  This particular bike has just over 15K miles on it.  My 2008 had over 30K on it when I sold it and I have never seen this behavior from either bike.  I would never go from wfo to no throttle during a shift that slow for any reason I can think of (I hated lugging my bike like that by the way).  I doubt I will ever see this during normal riding.  It was however fun to test your theory and I can validate it.  If you ride like that all the time, well we have very different riding styles and I'm in no way a pro.  I really still think this is just a feature of the on/off throttle transition made by the ecu.  Happy riding!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »
I tested my C14 and mine doesn't have this issue.

I also had my HONDA out tonight and repeated this scenario, no issue to report
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2011, 05:16:23 AM »
It doesn't cut off from 5th to 6th either at any speed.  I wonder if the TB sync is off.....?

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2011, 11:30:17 AM »
I feel a little better since others have the same issue. Its not practical to shift gears like that and I dont know why I did at the time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:39:29 AM by S.Ga.Rider »

Offline Corpssgt

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2011, 11:41:52 AM »
I'm also suspicious of my tb sync. My bike has a lope to it during idle. I haven't forked out the cash for a carbtune tool yet. I guess now I have an excuse.

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2011, 03:34:30 PM »
Because I finally thought to do it, I bumped my idle up to 1200 - 1250 rpm and tried this little experiment again and the bike did not stall.  Instead of the rpms dropping to 8 or 9 hundred they dropped to about 1100 and recovered.  Not sure what it means since I would have never known my bike would do this save the request of the OP. 
T.S.R.

Offline S.Ga.Rider

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2011, 06:50:25 AM »
I havent worried with taking it to the dealer. I have put 1500 miles on it since and it  rides perfect under normal driving.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:40:03 AM by S.Ga.Rider »

Offline wpbweb

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 01:02:59 PM »
I have a 2011 c14. When I first got it, it had the same problem. I would accelerate pull in clutch go up a couple gears up and engine would die. Electrical was ok, engine would just die. Now I have about 2,000 miles on it and thankfully it went away, just like that! Now it runs perfectly. After the break in period I was able to air it out and that  may have worked the bugs out. Do the electronics on these bikes adjust themselves? I don't know. Here is what I found on the net.

OCTOBER 2010 -- Kawasaki is recalling certain model year 2009-2010 Vulcan motorcycles. The engine may stall if the rider is coasting with the clutch pulled in due to an improper setting of the engine control unit (ECU). Engine stalling could create a potential for a crash resulting in injury or death. Dealers will replace the ECU with one containing revised settings to address the engine stalling. The safety recall began on November 1, 2010.   10V-507

Recall Date
OCT 19, 2010
Motorcycle Affected
2010 KAWASAKI VULCAN
Summary
KAWASAKI IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2009-2010 VULCAN MOTORCYCLES. THE ENGINE MAY STALL IF THE RIDER IS COASTING WITH THE CLUTCH PULLED IN DUE TO AN IMPROPER SETTING OF THE ENGINE CONTROL UNIT (ECU).
Consequence
ENGINE STALLING COULD CREATE A POTENTIAL FOR A CRASH RESULTING IN INJURY OR DEATH.
Remedy
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ECU WITH ONE CONTAINING REVISED SETTINGS TO ADDRESS THE ENGINE STALLING. THE SAFETY RECALL BEGAN ON NOVEMBER 1, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT KAWASAKI CONSUMER SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT 1-866-802-9381

Read more: http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/motorcycle_recalls/49/2010/kawasaki/vulcan/77078.html#ixzz1NxR5L2Ku

Offline speed545

« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2011, 07:19:38 AM »
Mine has done it 2 to 3 times and each time it would happen while shifting with throttle open to completly close. I know it s not the usual way to shif but i was riding the bike in a...........very relax way  ;D

It would start right away. If i remeber correctly, i was in the low gears meaning 2nd or 3th

Another ?: i was pretty sure that to adjust idle you need to get to computer parameters. On my car, i had to plug a handheld computer to OBDII and set up new idle conditions. How do you do that on the C14?
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline Tactical_Mik

• Lamh laidir an Uachtar
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2011, 08:08:23 AM »
There is a silver colored nut on the end of a cable on the left side of the bike.  You know where all those vent hoses stick out.  Turn this to adjust idle speed.  Really nice having that instead of tearing the bike apart to reach an adjustment place under all that plastic.

T.S.R.

Offline speed545

« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2011, 09:10:55 AM »
Thank you so much ;)
08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept