Author Topic: 10 & 11 loss of center storage compartment...  (Read 26631 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: 10 & 11 loss of center storage compartment...
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2011, 12:55:41 PM »
im sorry but that is ugly........

No.....it is fugly.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2011, 01:05:49 PM »
Fugly or not...I've got it in the C14 Farkle Wiki.  Still need to work on it a bit but by and large it's there....

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1872.0
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2011, 01:44:46 PM »
So I was up at my local shop the other day and they now have silver 11 on the floor, first off I will admit that the new 11 silver color does look alot better than the 08 silverdammit IMO...

:)  Told ya

Still slower than black though.  ;)

Still in denial.  Tsk tsk ;)   We will give you more time to come around

Here's my question:  When Kawi deleted the center storage compartment why did they leave that black plastic piece there, seems really odd and looks kinda bad IMO. Does it serve a purpose or was somebody really just that lazy at Kawi to not redesign that section on the top of the tank?? I don't get it...

Keep in mind that the "refresh" for 2010 was not a new bike.  Everything they had to change would be a huge cost in retooling.  They moved stuff around, using that space for additional electronics or something, I believe... so it was easier/cheaper to just cap it with something the same size/shape.

I always thought the center storage was a bit strange, anyway, since it was so incredibly tiny.  Of course the new left storage box isn't exactly huge either, but at least it is keyless lockable.  I can fit the Zumo in it- something impossible with the center storage area.  I wish they had one on the right also, but that space was reserved for the CA charcoal canister.  Damn CA!

Anyway, I don't think it looks bad.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 02:16:34 PM »

How to: I added 08-09 top glove box to my '10
« on: March 04, 2010, 04:39:30 pm »
Before I even got my 2010, I wanted to know if I could add the earlier tank top glove box to my new bike.  I ride without my saddlebags and I wanted all the storage I could get.

Forum member "CarlDeBar" was at my house one day on his 09, and we did some experimenting.  While we didn't try to really mount his, we did pull his off and looked at the brackets enough to see that it looked pretty doable.

I was in the process of checking to see what the parts would cost from the mother ship (Kawasaki dealer) when "Krautburner" decided to buy his wrecked bike and part it out.  We came to a quick agreement on a deal and it showed up last week.

When I pulled off the stock plastic cover and the bracket that had to be changed out, I quickly discovered some things I did not anticipate.  Unfazed, I proceeded with the install.  First up I had to pull off the bracket on my '10 and bolt on the bracket from the donor bike.  This has to be done because the spacing to bolt down the plastic bin are different than the plastic cover on the '10.  If you look at the picture below you can see the differences.  Where the blue tabs bolt down to the bracket the threaded insert is in the wrong place....

At first I just assumed I'd drill some holes and thread them or use some sort of self tapping screw.  But if you look, the bracket has a nasty bend right about where it needed to be drilled.  So I decided to proceed and worry about bolting it down later.  You'll see in a later picture what I wound up doing. 

The second problem was that the plastic tray actually hit the blue tabs and pushed down the blue body work too far.  I had to either grind the blue tabs off, or grind away the tray.  I decided I didn't want to grind on the tabs as it could cause me to not have a way to keep that part of the body work solid - so I ground away the plastic until the tray actually held down the blue tabs just enough.  Then, I put some foam under the blue tabs and just used the tray to hold that piece down.  The first picture below shows where I ground away plastic on the underside of the tray, and the next picture shows how it holds the tabs down without them being screwed down any more....

Next up on the list of problems....If you look at the picture below, you'll see that under the tray there are three brake lines heading toward the steering stem.  Apparently the two on the right side were on the earlier models, but the one on the left was not.  The plastic tray has an indentation to clear the ones on the right, but not the one on the left. As a result, the tray does not sit down all the way.

The fix for this was to put a 1/2" spacer under the front mounting point up by the steering stem.  See this picture - there is a white nylon spacer installed to hold the front of the box a little higher...

Because it was being raised, and there is only one bolt in the middle of the front, I was concerned that the front of the box may wiggle around a little with the spacer installed. So I put some foam under the tray to firm it up.  In the following picture you can see where I put the foam.  BTW, there is a cable in a "loom" going across - that cable is for the radar detector that I installed.  I could have rerouted those wires, but with the foam in place it was not a problem to leave them there.

The final result works great.  If you really look you can see a bit of a gap between it and the tank.  But you really don't notice it. If anything, the flash from the camera and the angle makes the gap look worse in the picture than it really is....

While it sounds like some work - the truth is that even though I had to figure it all out as I went, it only took me maybe an hour and a half to do all the work and have it ready to ride.

Hope this helps.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 02:25:35 PM »
Jim,
You can delete the above post if you want, I will leave that up to you.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2011, 04:25:46 PM »
Nope, it can stay.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline shotgun

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2011, 04:54:41 PM »
For me,on my '08,the glove box was a POS.
Strictly an over engineered,useless POS,wouldn't un-latch or latch when you were done.
Wouldn't hold more than a pack of smokes and left my tankbag at an odd attitude.
In a fit of ire I bashed the thing off the tank top one day. Made my own cover.
Maybe PaPaKaw does lurk and listen?(not claiming any responsibility here....)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2011, 06:09:38 PM »
Never had any problems with mine.  I like it for what it is and nothing more.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2011, 08:02:30 PM »
Cool, I'm glad you guys found this (or maybe not).  I was thinking about installing the older compartment on my 2010, since it seems you can never have too much storage space, but completely forgot about it over the winter.  Now that I've been reminded, I had to go and look up all the parts and pricing.  I searched FleaBay, but didn't find any used ones.

It's not clear from the parts fiche if you get everything you need with these part numbers, but anything missing would be small.  Hopefully the word ASSEMBLY means the little stuff is included.

16146-0081  $15.89  COVER-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
53044-0028  $19.08  TRIM for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
16146-0084  $53.73  COVER-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
32099-0039  $42.98  CASE  (JKBZGNA1 8A009239 - ) for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
46043-0005  $19.08  KNOB-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)

Total = $150.76 shipped.

In case anyone is interested, I pulled the part numbers and pricing from http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/.  I've bought from them before, and they have great prices, excellent service, and free shipping.

Now I just need to take a good look at one on a bike, to see if the functionality and durability is worth the effort and expense.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2011, 08:24:50 PM »
Never had any problems with mine.  I like it for what it is and nothing more.

+1... I like the center compartment on my 09 and I do use it...

But back to my original statement of this thread, the black "blank" on the 10/11 just looks goofy to me and appears to have no purpose, Kawi should have deleted that piece on the tank all together IMO if it wasn't gonna have the compartment there...  :nuts:

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »

+1... I like the center compartment on my 09 and I do use it...

But back to my original statement of this thread, the black "blank" on the 10/11 just looks goofy to me and appears to have no purpose, Kawi should have deleted that piece on the tank all together IMO if it wasn't gonna have the compartment there...  :nuts:

Or just have both compartments.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2011, 09:27:07 PM »
But back to my original statement of this thread, the black "blank" on the 10/11 just looks goofy to me and appears to have no purpose, Kawi should have deleted that piece on the tank all together IMO if it wasn't gonna have the compartment there... 

But like I just said- that would require retooling and creating a whole new gas tank.  That would probably have been far, far more expensive than to just make a new piece of plastic, like they did.

I am more in agreement with mikeboileau, they should have just left it alone AND added the new left-side, auto-locking box.  But perhaps there were people complaining about it interfering with tank bags (I wouldn't know, never had one, probably never will).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Cool, I'm glad you guys found this (or maybe not).  I was thinking about installing the older compartment on my 2010, since it seems you can never have too much storage space, but completely forgot about it over the winter.  Now that I've been reminded, I had to go and look up all the parts and pricing.  I searched FleaBay, but didn't find any used ones.

It's not clear from the parts fiche if you get everything you need with these part numbers, but anything missing would be small.  Hopefully the word ASSEMBLY means the little stuff is included.

16146-0081  $15.89  COVER-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
53044-0028  $19.08  TRIM for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
16146-0084  $53.73  COVER-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
32099-0039  $42.98  CASE  (JKBZGNA1 8A009239 - ) for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)
46043-0005  $19.08  KNOB-ASSY for 2009 KAWASAKI Concours 14 ABS (ZG1400-A9F)

Total = $150.76 shipped.

In case anyone is interested, I pulled the part numbers and pricing from http://www.riderschoiceracing.com/.  I've bought from them before, and they have great prices, excellent service, and free shipping.

Now I just need to take a good look at one on a bike, to see if the functionality and durability is worth the effort and expense.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10-Kawasaki-Concours-1400-ZG14-Tank-Cover-Dash-Box-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2564eef161QQitemZ160607170913QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2011, 11:25:02 AM »
But like I just said- that would require retooling and creating a whole new gas tank.  That would probably have been far, far more expensive than to just make a new piece of plastic, like they did.

I am more in agreement with mikeboileau, they should have just left it alone AND added the new left-side, auto-locking box.  But perhaps there were people complaining about it interfering with tank bags (I wouldn't know, never had one, probably never will).

Yes, but the subsequently larger capacity fuel tank would address one one of MY complaints....

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2011, 08:06:15 PM »
Yes, but the subsequently larger capacity fuel tank would address one one of MY complaints....

You do have a valid point...

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2011, 08:59:14 PM »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/08-10-Kawasaki-Concours-1400-ZG14-Tank-Cover-Dash-Box-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2564eef161QQitemZ160607170913QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Wow, they're proud of that one.  For $25 more, I think I would just buy a new one, so I know all the plastic is not discolored or scratched up (looks like some large scratches in the lid).  I typically expect used stuff to be closer to half of new, unless it looks just like new, but maybe that's just me.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline C1xRider

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2011, 09:00:05 PM »

+2...

+3.  You can always use a little more fuel (especially since I ran out 4 block from the station I was headed to the other night :-X).