Author Topic: Lost my keyfob.  (Read 9460 times)

Offline chile62

Re: Lost my keyfob.
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2018, 08:33:23 AM »
If there should be any guilt to speak of, it should be on the head of the previous owner that had the callous disregard as to trade in a C14 at a HD dealer!!!.
Making that poor girl sit there with all that chrome and leather fringe. Shivers!
The most constructive thing I can offer is for you to get a good photo of a credit card passive fob and go back to the Harley dealer with it and see if they can find it. It could be sitting
in the sales manager's junk drawer with them having no idea what it is. If you offer a $100.00 reward, (yeah, I know you shouldn't have to, but...) you know they'll look for it.
I'd look all over the bike to see if perhaps the previous owner secretly hid the credit card fob on the bike somewhere, as some do that. I'd also ask the dealer if they'd contact the previous owner to see if he still has the credit card fob. If he says "No, I gave it to you with the bike" then maybe they'll redouble their efforts to find it.

If you can find the credit card fob, then you are getting off the hook considerably cheaper. I lost my active fob but I still had the passive credit card one and now I have an active FOB, a second passive fob, all programed in by the dealer for less than $350.00 total. If you find it, be sure to check back here to get advice about programming your replacements, as not all dealers know how to do it properly. I had to coach mine a bit.

Best wishes.

Thanks, i tried that as well.  they are a Harley Davidson dealer,  they buy bikes at auction (that is where mine came from) and they dont seem to be to interested in helping a "metric" bike owner.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2018, 08:42:02 AM »
Thanks, i tried that as well.  they are a Harley Davidson dealer,  they buy bikes at auction (that is where mine came from) and they dont seem to be to interested in helping a "metric" bike owner.

Did you offer the $100 reward? Nothing motivates like a monetary incentive.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2018, 09:16:06 AM »
One possible way to help locate the previous owner may be to look up the warranty information on the Kawasaki web site. It should list the last registered warranty owner. If the bike was somewhat "local" before being auctioned you may be able to find him in the white pages. Might be a slim chance, but a chance none the less.

Offline PH14

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »
Thanks for the heads up.  My research shows my 2012 requires 2010 thru 2014 ECM.

Yeah, I posted without looking at the year the ECM came from.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2018, 04:14:52 PM »
Thanks, i tried that as well.  they are a Harley Davidson dealer[...]they dont seem to be to interested in helping a "metric" bike owner.

Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2018, 04:18:26 PM »
Did you offer the $100 reward? Nothing motivates like a monetary incentive.

And if you [original poster] do, please use an accurate description of the passive fob- it is nothing like a credit card.  It is much smaller and much, much thicker.  (Can you tell, I hate the term?)

Also a good idea about the warranty registration; although both are probably a long-shot.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2018, 05:08:19 PM »
One can't be tooo careful with one's wording can one? 

There, all us ones are working toward a good outcome for the unfortunate other one.  :banana   
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2018, 05:33:38 PM »
One can't be tooo careful with one's wording can one?

Well since there doesn't appear to be anything else we can do to help, perhaps we can find a term that meets max' s sensibilities?

I'll start us off...it's larger than a thumb drive but smaller and thicker than a credit card.

..next?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2018, 06:06:47 PM »
Well, if 3 times the size and 7 times the thinness with a different aspect ratio and different materials is a suitably comparable item for a description, let's try the other direction- an item 1/3 the size and 7 times the thickness.... Hmmm...  Let's call it a "double sugar cube fob"!  :)

(My point is: if the objective is to describe, in words, a lost item to someone, like it was in this thread, comparing it something that it doesn't look like is going to hurt the chances of success, not help.)

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2018, 07:13:58 PM »
The fobs pictured. The "passive" fob is 2 1/8" long, 1 1/8" wide & 1/4" thick.

Offline Freddy

« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2018, 07:16:38 PM »
Ah - the magic key-holder thingy.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2018, 07:30:05 PM »
The fobs pictured. The "passive" fob is 2 1/8" long, 1 1/8" wide & 1/4" thick.

What’s the saying?  A picture is worth a thousand words...
'02 C-10

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2018, 11:11:46 PM »
My point is: if the objective is to describe, in words, a lost item to someone, like it was in this thread, comparing it something that it doesn't look like is going to hurt the chances of success, not help.

Point taken, and agreed with. So let's see if we can do better.

Dot-less tournament domino sized passive fob? (not right, but a lot closer than a credit card, I'm still searching.) 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2018, 05:28:37 AM »
Point taken, and agreed with. So let's see if we can do better.

Dot-less tournament domino sized passive fob? (not right, but a lot closer than a credit card, I'm still searching.)

Hey- that's a good one.  A domino fob.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2018, 06:26:29 AM »
Tell me my friends, how long have you been obsessed with the size of your fobs?

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2018, 07:36:56 AM »
Tell me my friends, how long have you been obsessed with the size of your fobs?
  ;D

Since we found out that size matters, however now we are just trying to give it an accurate descriptive name.
A name that my mother would have liked despite her fob envy problem, and one that would ensure the approval of my father,
but most of all...
....a name that will help max' become comfortable with his passive fob.  ;)

Offline PH14

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
I think Kawasaki should come up with some way to start the bike, with something small that could be placed on something, maybe like some sort of ring that could be placed in your pocket, then taken out of the pocket and put in some sort of receptacle on the bike. You could maybe turn the small thing, then hit the start button. It would be secure since you couldn't start the bike without it. I think Kawasaki could truly be a leader if they developed something like that.

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2018, 12:59:50 PM »
  ;D

Since we found out that size matters, however now we are just trying to give it an accurate descriptive name.
A name that my mother would have liked despite her fob envy problem, and one that would ensure the approval of my father,
but most of all...
....a name that will help max' become comfortable with his passive fob.  ;)

"21 1/4 (Twenty-one & a quarter) passive fob", indicating its size but more importantly that it's old enough to drink legally.  Probably helpful with this bunch.    ;D 8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2018, 01:06:57 PM »
"21 1/4 (Twenty-one & a quarter) passive fob", indicating its size but more importantly that it's old enough to drink legally.  Probably helpful with this bunch.    ;D 8)
ding ding ding  We have a winner.  :rotflmao:

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=3378.msg39041#msg39041

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 01:21:40 PM »
I'm not sure little 21 1/4 is mature enough for some of that...

No DUIs but uhmmm... anything else happen  ;D

But then again, it will probably fit right in with the rest of this group!     :chugbeer: :banana ;D