Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243614 times)

Offline slolifepilot

Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #940 on: August 08, 2017, 01:16:11 PM »
We saw this on the ramp when we were on our way to Barstow on 58 in early June. At first I thought it was Spaceship One, but now I see it was the Stratolaunch aircraft.

Can't find any schedule for first flight. I would sure like to see that.

Dan
I had the good fortune to be in the air close to Mojave when one of the first test flights of Spaceship One launched.  Pretty amazing to watch the trail as it climbed away from the launch vehicle, we could see their respective contrails.  I've wanted to take a ride out to the Mojave Spaceport and look around, just have to wait for the temperature to drop a little below the surface of the sun! 8)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #942 on: August 08, 2017, 08:13:12 PM »
28th Bomb Wing - my dad's first AF assignment in the early 50's.....RB-36's back then (28th SRW, Heavy)   Ellsworth AFB  Named after General Ellsworth was killed in an RB from the 718th crashing into Canada in 1953, I think.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline tonedeaf1

« Reply #943 on: August 08, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
Yeah, it sure does make you wonder how it stays together. Especially when you consider it has to manage all the independent forces that are loaded to the middle wing from each of the two "airplanes". It would almost seem like the only way would be sensor based load management baked into the fly-by-wire electronics. (Gotta be fly-by-wire doesn't it?)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #944 on: August 09, 2017, 12:25:13 PM »
Century Fighters..

http://youtu.be/xXQhmHT3Ku8
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #945 on: August 09, 2017, 03:12:04 PM »
Yeah, it sure does make you wonder how it stays together. Especially when you consider it has to manage all the independent forces that are loaded to the middle wing from each of the two "airplanes". It would almost seem like the only way would be sensor based load management baked into the fly-by-wire electronics. (Gotta be fly-by-wire doesn't it?)

I was thinking the same thing. The electronics today could essentially fly the 2 airplanes in perfect formation. And I bet there are some maximum weather/turbulence standards on that airplane.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #946 on: January 06, 2018, 07:09:51 AM »
Interesting story on the A-10... https://youtu.be/HpCvySLGuOA

Offline O.C.

« Reply #947 on: January 06, 2018, 07:45:57 AM »
Interesting story on the A-10... https://youtu.be/HpCvySLGuOA

Amazing...thanks for sharing
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #948 on: January 06, 2018, 11:36:08 AM »
We saw this on the ramp when we were on our way to Barstow on 58 in early June. At first I thought it was Spaceship One, but now I see it was the Stratolaunch aircraft.

Can't find any schedule for first flight. I would sure like to see that.

Dan

Looks like two cockpits, probably two sets of controls, so....what if the pilot on the right wants to turn left and the pilot on the left wants to turn right? 
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #949 on: January 06, 2018, 12:16:57 PM »
Looks like two cockpits, probably two sets of controls, so....what if the pilot on the right wants to turn left and the pilot on the left wants to turn right? 
Nope.

Quote from: page 8 from the link in Rhino's post above {#932}
The port side cockpit, meanwhile, is designed to stay empty and unpressurized.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #950 on: January 11, 2018, 10:46:14 AM »
Just got back from Truk Lagoon and saw a number of Japanese aircraft including a Nakajima B6N "Jill", Kawanishi H8K "Emily" large flying boat, Mitsubishi G4M "Betty" bomber and still in a cargo ships hold 5 Zero's and an older Mitsubishi A5M "Claude". My Sony action cam died on the 4th dive  (funny how that happens when you take a 30 meter housing below 30 meters) and the only aircraft pics I got were of the Jill and the Emily.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #951 on: January 11, 2018, 11:14:09 AM »
Long way from home Rhino.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #952 on: January 11, 2018, 11:35:24 AM »
Excellent pictures!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #953 on: January 11, 2018, 12:00:44 PM »
Outstanding! Must have been great to visit pieces of history like that. Those aircraft are surprisingly preserved for being in such shallow, warm water.

I always wanted to visit Normandy but so far it has not happened.

Brian

Just got back from Truk Lagoon and saw a number of Japanese aircraft including a Nakajima B6N "Jill", Kawanishi H8K "Emily" large flying boat, Mitsubishi G4M "Betty" bomber and still in a cargo ships hold 5 Zero's and an older Mitsubishi A5M "Claude". My Sony action cam died on the 4th dive  (funny how that happens when you take a 30 meter housing below 30 meters) and the only aircraft pics I got were of the Jill and the Emily.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #954 on: January 11, 2018, 02:39:28 PM »
Outstanding! Must have been great to visit pieces of history like that. Those aircraft are surprisingly preserved for being in such shallow, warm water.

I always wanted to visit Normandy but so far it has not happened.

Brian

Everything made of aluminum held up well. Some of the ships are collapsing on their own as the steel rusts away. The Zero's inside the Fujikawa Maru were jumbled and one was upside down in about 120' of water. I was able to open one of the landing gear small doors and there was the tire seemingly well preserved. It had popped off the bead. Wondering if the 60 psi of water pressure did that as the air leaked out over the last 74 years. It went down exactly 74 years ago this coming February 17. There is enough explosives still down there to level a small city. Saw torpedo, depth charges, arial bombs, land mines, 1000's of cannon shells ranging from 6" to 14". One of the ships that I didn't dive had 18" shells that could only be for the Yamato or the Musashi battle ships.

This is the 10' wide hole made by a torpedo from an Avenger on the Heian Maru. Ripped open the 1 1/2" thick steel like a 44 mag through a beer can.

Offline O.C.

« Reply #955 on: January 12, 2018, 01:41:42 AM »
WOW !   fantastic pictures and thanks for sharing    :)   

I used to dive back in the mid 90s, and achieved 50 + Dives in the Maldives based at Kanifinolhu Island. At Male  there was a wreck of the cargo boat Victory which sank on Friday 13th in about 1980/1 I think, the story is that the captain was p*ssed and the boat hit the land reef, backed up and just sank, it now lies in about 30m water sitting perfectly upright on the sea bed, its quite big (over 30,000 tons I think) and is a great dive, we dived it about 5 times

I don't dive any more these days, but used to love it
CARPE DIEM

KAWASAKI VERSYS 650

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #956 on: June 27, 2018, 05:56:41 PM »
The Strike Eagles were flying so low over the Welsh countryside that aircraft enthusiasts watching from the hills could peer directly into the cockpits. (Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images)

Military aircraft enthusiasts watch as a United States Air Force F-15E fighter jet travels at low altitude through the 'Mach Loop' series of valleys near Dolgellau in northern Wales on June 26. (Oli Scarff/AFP/Getty Images)

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2018/06/27/air-force-pilots-graze-welsh-countryside-in-spectacular-training-runs/

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #957 on: June 28, 2018, 04:35:55 AM »
Great picture!

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #958 on: June 28, 2018, 09:32:36 AM »
When we made our spring trip to Tombstone AZ, we passed through Death Valley. To my amazement, I learned about the Jedi Transition firsthand.  This is probably one of the best places to watch F18s, F15s, etc. pass in the valley below you.  I’ve seen the Blue Angels about ten times, but it doesn’t compare to this.  Check out the video I took (on my phone).  If you have an ipad or computer monitor, it’s much better.  (I wish I would’ve kept my trap shut, I hate the sound of my own voice!).  The word “awesome” is so overused by kids today, but this experience truly meets the definition.

https://youtu.be/IiZSZAJfwxk
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #959 on: June 28, 2018, 01:26:34 PM »
Awesome! Gives me goosebumps!