Author Topic: Life Expectancy Pads/Rotors  (Read 1313 times)

Offline j_wahl91

Life Expectancy Pads/Rotors
« on: April 09, 2020, 05:48:06 PM »
Hey all, I was wondering what you guys have experienced as far as length of life for your pads. I've got about 4500 miles in and I primarily engine break and use light to medium pressure when braking, barring any dipstick that decides to cut me off. Same with rotors, I was curious about when to look into replacing them, even if it's really kind of a rough estimate.

TIA

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
Re: Life Expectancy Pads/Rotors
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 06:42:40 PM »
My Connie had 40,000 before any pads were replaced. Rotors were always fine.
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 12:27:49 AM »
I replaced my front pads at 35,000 miles.  They weren't completely worn out, though.  I am guessing they could have gone a few thousand miles.  Have no idea about rotors.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2020, 04:58:46 AM »
I just replaced my front pads at 27.5K and they were down to minimum specs.  I had swapped them from left side to right side at 21K to even them out some due to the linked brakes.  I'll look at swapping them side to side next time closer to 14K.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2020, 05:45:41 AM »
Of course, it does also depend on which pads were used....  in my case they were OEM.  (Also, I don't use/activate the rear brake, so my fronts were worn evenly).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
My OEM front pads lasted about 25k miles and the front rotors about 42k miles.
I replaced the rotors with Chinese wave rotors and have 32k on those and still plenty of meat left in them.
Since the OEM pads I used EBC HH (good), Ferodo HH (crap), EBC HH again, and currently have SBS HH (very good) pads on there.
Rear is still on the OEM rotor and pads at 74k miles. No, I don't use the rear much.  ;D
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2020, 08:10:41 AM »
Pad life and rotors depend on the pads themselves and how the brakes are used.  I'm always easy on brakes until I need them.  The best thing to do is keep a check on them, which is quite easy, but if you are in the slightest doubt replace them.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2020, 08:53:47 AM »
I do a little practice threshold braking at least one a month and regularly trail brake. Habits I picked up with 45 track days over the years.
I have averaged 22,000 miles for pads over  275,000 on 3 C14s. On my first C14 that lasted 175,000 I replaced OEM rotors at 124,000 miles at 3.5mm
with EBC rotors . I have always rreplaced OEM pads with EBC HH.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline j_wahl91

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 06:59:35 PM »
Cheers for y'alls feedback. Also, I noticed that this topic was moved, my apologies for posting in the wrong location. :)

Btw, I don't think I'm familiar with SBS pads, are those strictly available across the pond? We carry EBC HH pads at my dealer and our techs like to use them.

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2020, 03:27:33 AM »
SBS are a Danish company.
The pads I have fitted are these
https://www.sbs.dk/products-1/brake-pads/838hs

Details on their US distributors are here
https://www.sbs.dk/where-to-buy

George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2020, 05:13:33 PM »
63k miles on 2012 rotors and still good.

Offline robertv

• 2008 C14 Silver
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2020, 05:59:39 PM »
I've replaced the front pads twice-- once around ~45k, second time at ~66k. First time for rear at ~66K.  Rotors measured last at ~71k and at/near limit so expect to replace roughly around ~80k, maybe. Rides before 66k were weekend trips and occasional commutes and seldom 2-ups. But definitely spirited rides when possible so that definitely attributed to the pad wear sooner. YMMV in addition to the type of rides you do.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 09:56:45 AM »
Just changed mine. unknown mileage on rear but at least 30,000. Front EBC pads had 26000. Fronts could have went close to double that. One was a lot thinner than the rest. I replaced all and will save the front ones for spares.  I am going to start pulling the pins and polishing them up every now and then.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline fc1reed

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 05:18:34 PM »
I have 49K on mine and just ordered from Murphs'. I have not hit rotor yet but very thin. Reason for that is I do more long riding than every day stop and go.