Author Topic: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?  (Read 13339 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: Do you sit on your bike when filling with gas?
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2015, 06:36:07 AM »
I kinda like the blue fuzzy sweater  :P

Those soft fuzzy sweaters, so magical to touch...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2015, 06:38:09 AM »
New Jersey is like that. The attendants have to pump your gas. Even there I won't let them near the bike. They just hand me the nozzle and let me fill it.

Did the SEIU organize the pump jockeys in NJ?

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2015, 07:55:40 AM »
Did the SEIU organize the pump jockeys in NJ?

LOL... Not that I know of. This is more a political thing I think. IDK for sure I live in NY. We can pump our own here!

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2015, 08:09:37 AM »
Already the law in NJ and I believe, Oregon. Only attendants can fill a vehicle with fuel, which by default makes them 'full service' I guess.

The whole thing kinda' falls down regarding motorcycles though as the attendant will not attempt to fuel a motorcycle but rather just turns the pump on and hands the nozzle to the rider (Easy Boys! Not that nozzle.... at least as far as I know, usually). And the attendants in New Jersey will happily hand you the nozzle while you sit on the bike....

Brian

Sounds like the Government needs to pass another law to protect us.  Maybe they should require full service fuel stations across the country.  Then we can take our break and get a snack while they fill our tanks for us.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2015, 07:16:44 PM »

I was a machinist in a previous life, worked on automatic screw machines (Easy Boys) called Carlton Screw machine Products (Easy Boys), located on Bush Lake Road (Easy Boys). I was told a story about an insurance sales droid mentioning that building/content insurance would be cheaper (easy boys) if the building was sprinklered (easy boys). Owner relayed a story about a machine shop (easy boys) that did have sprinklers... Fire started, sprinklers went off, building (easy boys) burned to the ground. Back in the day (easy boys), oil was used as a coolant and cutting fluid. Like 100 gallons in an open sump. Do the math (easy boys).

Static discharge when fueling is a real issue, though pretty well mitigated now. Tires are (were) the insulator, they now have carbon black (a modest conductor) in them. The fuel hoses (easy boys) have a metal spiral insert that does double/triple duty. This is all well and good for dissipating static charges prior to fueling.

But think about this. The motion of fuel through a hose generates a static charge. Not a big deal (mostly), as the hose is grounded, so is the car/motorcycle. But what about the air gap between the falling fuel and the metal tank? *Even if* the tank is grounded.

I bring this up as some of you know I'm building a plane. A fiberglass plane, with fiberglass fuel tanks in fiberglass wings. Fiberglass is an insulator, so is fuel. Pumping fuel into the tanks generates a static charge. How do I ground my air frame?

Rick (Easy boys)

If your plane is a kit, there should be instructions regarding that placement of grounding/bonding straps where needed.  If not, suggest contacting the EAA is some fashion, there are a lot of people in that organization with knowledge that far exceeds what you'll find here.  The FAA may have some guidelines, but I think even they lag behind what you might find at the EAA.  Most of what I worked on in general aviation was aluminum structure, typical factory-built stuff (except for the wood/fabric dinosaurs).  The last company I worked for was just starting to get some fiberglass/carbon fiber aircraft for their flight school when I left the game, so I never really worked on them much.  Fiberglass/composite cowlings, fairings, wingtips, etc., normally have some sort of bonding strap that will conduct away lightning so as to prevent the otherwise high resistance from stating a fire, and to help conduct away also the static charges that occur just by moving rapidly through the air.  Many airplanes, even down to small Cessnas and Pipers, etc,. have static wicks mounted on the wings, stabilizers, and control surfaces to help discharge it in flight.  Bigger ones have bigger and more numerous wicks.  A big aircraft like commercial airliners can build up humongous static charges that could literally blow a hole in the structure and fry a lot of electronics if allowed to build up until it sparked off.  It needs to bleed away slowly, which is what the static wicks do.  Metal fuel lines are normally bonded/grounded to the metal structure with small ground wires, even in metal airplanes, again, for lightning protection.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2015, 10:02:12 AM »
Already the law in NJ and I believe, Oregon. Only attendants can fill a vehicle with fuel, which by default makes them 'full service' I guess.

The whole thing kinda' falls down regarding motorcycles though as the attendant will not attempt to fuel a motorcycle but rather just turns the pump on and hands the nozzle to the rider (Easy Boys! Not that nozzle.... at least as far as I know, usually). And the attendants in New Jersey will happily hand you the nozzle while you sit on the bike....

Brian

I was in Oregon last year and found this out by surprise when they wouldn't let me fill my rental car. Really? I do not believe these laws have anything to do with safety but is in fact a "works" program.

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2015, 08:15:18 PM »
Back in 1995 I was roaring through Stage Gulch, Oregon at about 2 or 3 in the morning, heading home to my Olympic Peninsula.  I stopped for fuel at a truck stop, got out, and, without thinking, started pumping my own gas into my Toyota truck.  Some kid in a plaid shirt and jeans runs up and grabs the nozzle, jerks it out of my hand (and out of the filler neck) and gas flies all over me and the ground.  I yelled, "What the F$%$!"  The kid says, "Oh, sorry, man, but you can't do that in Oregon.  It's too dangerous, we have to do it for you."  I said, "Well, it wasn't dangerous until you sprayed gas all over hell!"  We went back and forth, and I let him finishing filling it, while the gas evaporated from my pants, leaving just enough stink to keep me awake (had to keep the windows open) for the next 300 miles home.

He did not get a tip for full service.

A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2015, 06:55:15 AM »
Back in 1995 I was roaring through Stage Gulch, Oregon at about 2 or 3 in the morning, heading home to my Olympic Peninsula.  I stopped for fuel at a truck stop, got out, and, without thinking, started pumping my own gas into my Toyota truck.  Some kid in a plaid shirt and jeans runs up and grabs the nozzle, jerks it out of my hand (and out of the filler neck) and gas flies all over me and the ground.  I yelled, "What the F$%$!"  The kid says, "Oh, sorry, man, but you can't do that in Oregon.  It's too dangerous, we have to do it for you."  I said, "Well, it wasn't dangerous until you sprayed gas all over hell!"  We went back and forth, and I let him finishing filling it, while the gas evaporated from my pants, leaving just enough stink to keep me awake (had to keep the windows open) for the next 300 miles home.

He did not get a tip for full service.

My point exactly. It's not about safety, it's about creating minimum wage jobs.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
Here we go- a perfect example of a gas pump fire that happened while a guy was fueling his motorcycle and sitting on it! Well, not exactly his motorcycle but rather his car. And perhaps he was not exactly sitting on it but he was standing right next to it. And for absolutely no reason that I can see, the fuel suddenly burst into flames as he used his cigarette lighter to try and burn a pesky spider off of his car. Who would have even seen this coming?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/28/man-ignites-gas-pump-kill-spider-video/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl40|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1261585028

But the most critical part of the story is not addressed: what happened to the spider?

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #49 on: October 03, 2015, 01:01:44 PM »

But the most critical part of the story is not addressed: what happened to the spider?

Brian
http://youtu.be/QK-g8YKyOkk

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #50 on: October 03, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :chugbeer: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #51 on: October 03, 2015, 04:05:37 PM »
Good one,Rich.  :thumbs:

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #52 on: October 03, 2015, 04:23:18 PM »
I stumbled upon a much funnier one years ago, but can't find it, I'll keep looking.... ;)

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Conrad

« Reply #53 on: October 04, 2015, 06:18:53 AM »
http://youtu.be/QK-g8YKyOkk

Don't become the crack spider's bitch!  (smoke weed AND drink coffee)  :rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2015, 07:29:59 AM »
Here we go- a perfect example of a gas pump fire that happened while a guy was fueling his motorcycle and sitting on it! Well, not exactly his motorcycle but rather his car. And perhaps he was not exactly sitting on it but he was standing right next to it. And for absolutely no reason that I can see, the fuel suddenly burst into flames as he used his cigarette lighter to try and burn a pesky spider off of his car. Who would have even seen this coming?

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/09/28/man-ignites-gas-pump-kill-spider-video/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl40|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D-1261585028

Brian

A wise man once said "you can't fix stupid".

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2015, 07:33:05 AM »
Don't become the crack spider's bitch!  (smoke weed AND drink coffee)  :rotflmao:

"For more information on the crack spider's bitch, contact the Canadian Wildlife Service in Ottawa".  :rotflmao: I wonder if the Canadian Wildlife Service is getting phone calls about the crack spider's bitch?