Author Topic: Sealing spoked rims and going tubeless  (Read 14100 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Sealing spoked rims and going tubeless
« on: May 07, 2013, 02:48:36 PM »
Twice now I've had adventure rides spoiled by a flat tire. Once on my DR and once on my son's KLR. On the street bikes I just put a gummy worm in and ride on. Not so easy with a tube. Soooo...
I'm thinking of going tubeless on my Suzuki DR650 by using this method: http://cyb.smugmug.com/gallery/7250813_ZxQA5#!i=465979444&k=BjwM3St

Has anyone done this? If so did you get tubeless specific tires? Will it work with my tube type Bridgestone Trail Wings?

Offline Cholla

• Arena
Re: Sealing spoked rims and going tubeless
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 02:56:35 PM »
If your tire is marked as a tube type you must run tubes. Tube type tires have a different type bead than tubeless.
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »
If your tire is marked as a tube type you must run tubes. Tube type tires have a different type bead than tubeless.

Is this from experience or from reading?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 03:13:40 PM »
Why?  Going tubeless means you can't air down near as much for the times you need a wider traction patch.  Get a set of the Motion Pro Bead Breaker irons, watch a few Youtube vids, practice at home.  Once you have the hang of it things are fairly easy on the trail.  Carry a patch kit and spare front tube (will work in the rear if needed).  I carry a manual tire pump to conserve space.  Also, strongly consider rim locks to help prevent sheared tube stems and if needed you can still ride it out without air.  At a minimum a rear rim lock.

If you should bash a rim it may become unsealable if tubless, therefore, tubes are king.  If you wanna go a safe route, look at Moose Racing for their system. 

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:20:38 PM »
Why?  Going tubeless means you can't air down near as much for the times you need a wider traction patch.  Get a set of the Motion Pro Bead Breaker irons, watch a few Youtube vids, practice at home.  Once you have the hang of it things are fairly easy on the trail.  Carry a patch kit and spare front tube (will work in the rear if needed).  I carry a manual tire pump to conserve space.  Also, strongly consider rim locks to help prevent sheared tube stems and if needed you can still ride it out without air.  At a minimum a rear rim lock.

If you should bash a rim it may become unsealable if tubless, therefore, tubes are king.  If you wanna go a safe route, look at Moose Racing for their system.

Far easier to install a gummy worm then pull the wheel and patch in the field. Without a center stand, it is a PITA to remove the wheel. That's the why.

I have never aired down. When off pavement I am mostly on fire roads and easy trails. I don't do single tracks. The main reason I ride the DR is to be able to do unpaved passes here in Colorado. And to be able to find camp sites off the main roads. Should I try airing down? That would be a good reason to stay with the tubes.

Second I can still carry a tube if all else fails. Simply remove the valve stem and install tube.
My 36hp DR650 (less at high altitude) had never spun a tire so I didn't think I needed rim locks.

Just wondering if anyone else on the forum has done it.

PS: Moose racing system sez not for the street.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 09:50:16 PM »
http://permasealtire.com/applications.html

Based on a couple of Canadians who are bonafide world travelers on 2 wheels this stuff is the cats meow. 
What I do know is it is far easier to fix a flat tube than it is to straighten out a taco'ed rim, although I hear rocks are plentifull 'round yer parts ;)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:21:19 PM »
That is actually a pretty darn cool idea, especially if it works.  8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 08:43:43 AM »
http://permasealtire.com/applications.html

Based on a couple of Canadians who are bonafide world travelers on 2 wheels this stuff is the cats meow. 
What I do know is it is far easier to fix a flat tube than it is to straighten out a taco'ed rim, although I hear rocks are plentifull 'round yer parts ;)

Interesting. I wonder how it compares to Ride-On or Slime. Can't find anything on their site about tubes. Ride-on sez they are less effective in a tube due to the tube tearing. This is what happened on my son's KLR. A nail went in, tire went flat and the nail tore the inside of the tube. But tubeless and this stuff might be the way to go.

If I go tubeless, assuming Cholla is correct and I need to get tubeless specific tires, I'm looking at theses: http://www.bikebandit.com/kenda-k761-dual-sport-tire

Offline Leo

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 08:42:39 PM »
Not trying to be a wise guy, but you do not have to remove a wheel from the bike to patch a tube. 
The tube type tires are not as hard to break the beads.  With no air in it, ride the bike a short distance and the bead is loose.  Pull one side of the bead loose, reach in with your fingers and liberate the tube.  You do not even have to unscrew the valves stem from the rim.   Glue up the patch, carefully reinsert the tube.  Air it up 1/2 way with the bead still loose, and check for twists and pinches.  deflate and reset the tire bead.  Air it up and go.  As long as the tire does not rotate on the rim, you do not even have to re-balance.   

Good Luck
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2013, 09:17:39 PM »
Balance a knobby? ;)  FWIW, even w/o a centerstand I'd take the wheel off, prop the bike on something or lay her on the side.  Speaking for me, I have gotten good at picking the pig up ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 07:26:32 AM »
Well I went and did the tubeectomy. Used this exact method to seal the rim: http://cyb.smugmug.com/gallery/7250813_ZxQA5#!i=465979444&k=BjwM3S  and mounted Kenda K761 Tubeless tires. Only been 24 hours and about 10 miles test ride but so far so good. Will be camping and some back country riding the first week of June. We'll see how they do then.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 07:59:19 AM »
Good luck!!  I headed to do the COBDR the 7th of June, sure hope the snow is gone ;D

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:16:35 AM »
Good luck!!  I headed to do the COBDR the 7th of June, sure hope the snow is gone ;D

Excellent! I've done some of that route. COBDR includes CRKK14 (page 68 of the Colorado Gazetteer). I've done that route all the way between North Pass and Lake City. In fact I will be camping just south of 114 the week of June 7 between Saguache and North Pass (Hat Springs on page 69) about 10 miles east of that route. I'll be out and about in that area. If you see a yellow DR650 with a white IMS tank be sure to wave or stop and say hi.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:17:59 AM »
Nice.....looking forward to hopefully good feedback.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 10:52:28 AM »
Excellent! I've done some of that route. COBDR includes CRKK14 (page 68 of the Colorado Gazetteer). I've done that route all the way between North Pass and Lake City. In fact I will be camping just south of 114 the week of June 7 between Saguache and North Pass (Hat Springs on page 69) about 10 miles east of that route. I'll be out and about in that area. If you see a yellow DR650 with a white IMS tank be sure to wave or stop and say hi.
We will be on a 1200GSA, 2 F800GSs, white and gold, and a KTM990.  Go do some scouting for us, see if the trails are clear ;D  Are plan is maximum of 4 days to do the route.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 11:23:13 AM »
We will be on a 1200GSA, 2 F800GSs, white and gold, and a KTM990.  Go do some scouting for us, see if the trails are clear ;D  Are plan is maximum of 4 days to do the route.

I will be getting to camp on the 3rd or 4th and do expect to do CR KK14 from 114 to at least Cathedral. I've never done Cathedral to Powderhorn and want to give that a try. Would be happy to send you a text or email from the smart phone. There's no connection at the camp but out on 114 there is. I had no problem on KK14 and I am a severe amateur so I expect you will not find that part of the route challenging.

Offline GeeBeav

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2013, 01:10:22 PM »
.....looking forward to hopefully good feedback.  :thumbs:

Me too. I'm working on getting a KTM LC4 SuperMoto road-ready. Haven't gotten to tires yet, but since it has spoked wheels, I'm assuming it has inner tubes. Rather not mess around with tubes if I don't have to.

Keep us posted. Thanks
In the days of my youth, I was told what it means to be a man.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2013, 02:23:53 PM »
Rode some more this morning. Now have about 50 miles on the new tubeless tires and air pressure is holding steady. Nothing to do with tubeless but the Kenda tires are way more rounded then the half worn Bridgestone Trail Wings and the bike wants to fall into the turns. I have to noticeably push on the opposite bar to get the bike back upright. I expect this to diminish a bit as the Kenda's get a flat spot worn in.

Look for some off road feed back and pics around June 11.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 07:46:59 AM »
Now you can balance your tire with dyna-beads  8)
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 07:56:21 AM »
Now you can balance your tire with dyna-beads  8)

No need. Marc Parnes balancer works fine.