Author Topic: Can-Am adult conversation  (Read 14213 times)

Offline connie_rider

Re: Can-Am adult conversation
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2013, 11:48:02 AM »
My Buddy (who can no longer ride a bike) has one. We went down a fast twisty road together and the Spyder did well.
I'm not saying to buy it to go thru the twisties at breakneck speeds. Just saying it clearly handled well in the twisties.
If I get to the point that I can't handle a bike, I would consider one.

I haven't rode his bike. Here is the little that I know.
As far as handling on the road, you turn it like a car, left to go left and right to go right. So it will steer differently than a bike.
Also, you shift it, but No clutch lever.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »
They are not motorcycles, but they are kind of cool none the less.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline txfatboy

« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2013, 01:39:53 PM »
The comment made before about comparing the ride to a 4wheeler is spot on. There is NO lean in the corners. Some things to think about, IIRC unless it has changed, the only source for tires is the Can-Am dealer. I don't know if the wear rate has changed, but I think initially it wasn't any better than a regular motorcycle,...... and you had to buy 3 tires. Early Spyders had power steering and electrical issues so I would do some research to see if those issues were addressed. BTW, I would consider one also if I could not ride a 2 wheel bike.
Woody
2014 V-Max
1991 Connie, 17 inch wheels,  ZRX1200 forks with racetech valves and brakes, zx9/ zzr1200 hybrid rear shock, 2 min mod and exhaust cam sprocket from SISF, tubular handle bars, hywy pegs, HID headlight and LED running lights.

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2013, 04:24:34 AM »
I did some research on them before deciding they were just too pricey for me.  On the tire issue - with some fender trimming, there are car tires that will fir and work well, so that wasn't much of an issue.  For me, ther seating position of the standard model was ok, but a bit sport bike.  There are ways to fix that, but I'd like the option built into a different model.  The full dress version is nice, and somewhat cheaper than a GW trike.  But they do have a little less carrying capacity, and for my taste. they should have gone with a bigger engine.  Still, I'd own one today if it wasn't for the price.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:14 PM »
Mazda Miata

Better in every way.  Just my opinion. 

And anybody who knows how do drive even a little should know that any high performance car will out corner any high performance MC.  IT is the straight line performance where the MC is better. 

Fact, not opinion!
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2013, 04:13:51 PM »
Mazda Miata

Better in every way.  Just my opinion. 

And anybody who knows how do drive even a little should know that any high performance car will out corner any high performance MC.  IT is the straight line performance where the MC is better. 

Fact, not opinion!

Now ya went and did it. I hafta disagree on BOTH comments!!!

Ya sed:  any high performance car will out corner any high performance MC.  IT is the straight line performance where the MC is better.

What about a "Drag type" of   " high performance car "?
 Won't out corner, and it "may" out-accererate a bike!  <sly grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2013, 04:25:49 PM »
He's got ya there.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2013, 05:36:33 PM »
dang...somebody labeled this thread "adult conversation"...and I totally fell for it.

Is everybody a lawyer in here but me?

Context, you guys...dang again...

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2013, 06:08:45 PM »
ha, caughtcha lookin

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »
I don't think I would like a trike or a can am.  I like to lean.  If I can't or don't want to ride anymore I will probably get a convertible.

I think you have to get the touring model to get the power steering.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Son of Pappy

« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2013, 10:17:34 PM »
This "Adult conversation" has been going on long enough, it's time for some T&A (Truth and Answers) by gawd ;)

Offline OCK913

• Arena
    • The Orlando Riders Club
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2013, 03:09:53 AM »
There is a guy in our riding group that has the touring version and he loves it. He rides 2 up the majority of the time and they are in their late 60's early 70's. He had some issues early on and had to get it towed in twice. The issues were all related to the computer and once they replaced that, he has been problem free ever since. And here is one ..... because of his troubles, the dealer went to bat for him with Can-am and they gave him a $500 certificate for free accessories. I just like the fact that they acknowledged his troubles and tried to do what they could to apologize. Some companies would just fix it and move on to the next.
I would buy one ......... some day.
            2009 Kawasaki C14 - Black

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2013, 03:50:44 PM »
They are not motorcycles, but they are kind of cool none the less.

Tell that to the bmv...
They wear motorcycle tags, and are considered as a 3 wheel mc here in Ohio..to be clear.
Yesterday on the way to work on my C14 I rolled up alongside of one decked out to the max, and the rider was a 30 yr old woman.... I got a chance to look it and her, over pretty well before rolling on. Not a bad ride.
My tendency is more towards T-Rex tho when I have to give up on 2 wheels... I am currently going thru negotiations with a fellow ADV Rider for a complete C14 engine,electronics and running gear to begin fabbing into my own t-rex version nekid trike. Been wanting to do this since the 14 came out...
As for performance, I was PASSED by a Rex on Wolfpen Gap rd in Georgia while riding 2 up and loaded down for the RWTW and I'll tell you he was moving out fast and stable... I could not stay up with him thru the turns, but could read his plate in the straightaways...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2013, 04:32:10 PM »
My wife and I test drove a CanAm last year in Texas. It is a different feeling going down the road... kinda feels like you oscillate from side to side at first. It was different and interesting to say the least. The funny thing about it was getting back on my C14 and almost forgetting to put my feet down at a stop light right after riding the CanAm. Good luck.
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline ARS

« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2013, 12:14:08 PM »
Yes they do handle much like a snowmobile and for me that's a negative.  Bad history with snowmobiles.  I test rode one on a hot day and was disappointed in the lack of airflow. 

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:51 AM »
You test rode a snowmobile on a hot day?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2013, 11:28:45 AM »
You test rode a snowmobile on a hot day?

Good question Mr. VJ !! Gave me a good laugh !  :rotflmao:
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline ARS

« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
Maybe it was my snowmobile suit  ;D