Author Topic: Aircraft we like..  (Read 243721 times)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
Re: Aircraft we like..
« Reply #460 on: December 21, 2014, 06:34:12 PM »
Feels like a Tornado to me...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #461 on: December 21, 2014, 08:01:43 PM »
 :censored: :battle: Absolutely correct!  What led you to the correct conclusion?  I couldn't figure it out until I saw the front of the aircraft.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #462 on: December 21, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
The hemispherical wing roots led me to believe that it might be a variable sweep wing aircraft.  So I compared it to the F-111, and the F-111 has a completely different landing gear and intake configuration.

I then compared it to the F-14, but again the landing gear and inlets didn't look quite right.

The angled engine inlets next led me to the F-15 (very similar inlets to the one in the pic), but again the landing gear didn't look right.

I briefly considered the Flanker, but I didn't dig very far in that direction.  Again very similar inlets, although the wing roots are different.

So that led me back to variable sweep wings, and the only other aircraft I could find with similar inlets on short notice (note how the angled inlets bend to 'vertical' at the bottom' was the Tornado.  I couldn't find a 'clear' view of the rear landing gear, but the wing and tail roots were in about the right place, and also the landing gear bay looked about right, hence my guess that it was a Tornado.

Gotta luv google for aircraft pics!

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #463 on: December 22, 2014, 03:30:19 AM »
:censored: :battle: Absolutely correct!  What led you to the correct conclusion?  I couldn't figure it out until I saw the front of the aircraft.

Jim's clues are the first 3 pictures the rest are FYI

Offline Charlie747

« Reply #464 on: December 22, 2014, 03:33:49 AM »
The hemispherical wing roots led me to believe that it might be a variable sweep wing aircraft.  So I compared it to the F-111, and the F-111 has a completely different landing gear and intake configuration.

I then compared it to the F-14, but again the landing gear and inlets didn't look quite right.

The angled engine inlets next led me to the F-15 (very similar inlets to the one in the pic), but again the landing gear didn't look right.

I briefly considered the Flanker, but I didn't dig very far in that direction.  Again very similar inlets, although the wing roots are different.

So that led me back to variable sweep wings, and the only other aircraft I could find with similar inlets on short notice (note how the angled inlets bend to 'vertical' at the bottom' was the Tornado.  I couldn't find a 'clear' view of the rear landing gear, but the wing and tail roots were in about the right place, and also the landing gear bay looked about right, hence my guess that it was a Tornado.

Gotta luv google for aircraft pics!

Love that thought process on this one and a winner on 1st picture  :chugbeer: :chugbeer: :goodpost:

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #465 on: December 22, 2014, 04:13:15 AM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #466 on: December 22, 2014, 12:59:26 PM »
Identify this aircraft...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #467 on: December 22, 2014, 01:52:20 PM »
 Lightning XS894

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #468 on: December 22, 2014, 02:29:23 PM »
Too  :censored: easy!  :yikes:   Of course I realized this searching the image with Google image and it came up with a BAZILLION hits....well....maybe two pages.  I've got to make this more difficult.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #469 on: December 22, 2014, 02:33:10 PM »
 :)

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #470 on: December 22, 2014, 07:03:09 PM »
OK, in the spirit of 'guess the jet'... what is this?

(note - I removed/blurred the aircraft ID numbers and such, but the photo is otherwise unmodified by me - didn't want to make it too easy).

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #471 on: December 22, 2014, 07:21:18 PM »
I love it!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #472 on: December 22, 2014, 07:41:04 PM »
Going to have to dig deeper to get past google image search.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #473 on: December 22, 2014, 08:02:39 PM »
This is the daily double...got one in the background as well.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #474 on: December 22, 2014, 08:10:35 PM »
This is the daily double...got one in the background as well.

Yeah, I have no clue what the one in the background is.  It just kinda piggybacked...

That being said, I like your suggestion to ID it as well!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #475 on: December 23, 2014, 04:18:30 AM »
As Gary mentioned...in this game Google is not your friend in that if it's an image hosted on the 'Net, it can be fairly easy to find the answer.  In this case...

EWR VJ (nice touch) 101

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EWR_VJ_101

Maybe I should require an essay on the aircraft....not starting with me.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #476 on: December 23, 2014, 04:32:54 AM »
The prop airliner in the background may be a Convair-440 Metropolitan or at the very least one of the CV-240 family of aircraft.  As the other aircraft was a VSTOL made in Germany, it could very well be a CV-440.  These aircraft were used by Lufthansa and were around until about the mid-60s.  It was a DC-3 replacement.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #477 on: December 23, 2014, 04:54:41 AM »
From.... http://www.airliners.net/photo/Dornier-VJ-101-X1/1230006/M/

More: Untitled
More: Dornier VJ 101-X1 D-9517 Jump jet
More: Hanover (- Langenhagen) (HAJ / EDDV)
More: Germany, April 25, 1964
Remark   Photographer
More: Ralf Manteufel

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #478 on: December 23, 2014, 08:51:47 AM »
The prop airliner in the background may be a Convair-440 Metropolitan or at the very least one of the CV-240 family of aircraft.  As the other aircraft was a VSTOL made in Germany, it could very well be a CV-440.  These aircraft were used by Lufthansa and were around until about the mid-60s.  It was a DC-3 replacement.

In the Civil Air Patrol in the 70's, at Cannon AFB, I got a ride in an Air Force transport that I know was a 2 engine Convair of some sort. Sure looked like that.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #479 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:39 AM »
In the Civil Air Patrol in the 70's, at Cannon AFB, I got a ride in an Air Force transport that I know was a 2 engine Convair of some sort. Sure looked like that.
Clovis,NM. A little bit of paradise.  ::)