Author Topic: Will this winter EVER end???  (Read 42237 times)

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
Re: Will this winter EVER end???
« Reply #120 on: March 19, 2014, 10:07:30 AM »
Buckeye spring "barometer"... (i.e. how close to "real" spring are we....?)

Monday morn I saw a dead Opossum on the side of the road...
Tuesday morn, I saw the same one, and another one about a mile further down the road....

today, I saw parts of the first one, the second one, and another on the farside of the road about a quarter mile before....

that right there is the clear sign spring is within 10 days,
and if by chance you see a combo like that, AND a dead raccoon it's a sure sign of less than a week.....heheheheheh

as soon as the coon appears, I'll be buying my license plate sticker... :rotflmao: :thumbs: :thumbs:

What about skunks?  I've been seeing a few dead on the shoulder in the last few days.  Raccoon too, but no Opossum.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Riverszzr

• Lloyd's Motorcycle Performance Center
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2014, 10:55:55 AM »
 Speaking of burning wood, I have gone through more this season than any other year I have lived here.
 Steel liner on my wood burning stove, usually spotless but since most of the wood i have been burning in the past month was only cut and split (dead standing most of it) in October and November it was a bit wetter than I planned to burn so I can now see the sooty drippings on the exterior of the chimney stack cap and some on the roof under it. A few days ago I removed the cap and ran a 6" chimney brush down it for about 20 minutes and it looks much better but not really clean.
 Now I need to find next seasons wood that is really dry and enough for the following year so it can be split and dry by then as I will be completely out in another week or two depending on what the weather does. I still have to heat for atleast another 4-6 weeks but average high is now 40, so it does not require quite as much wood as when it was only getting to zero or single digits.
 I hate being behind on the supply it makes for a bit too much urgency and haste

Since December 1st we have only had 6 days at or above "normal" temps, everything else been below normal and lots of high temps for the day have been less than the normal overnight lows
Something like 20 days where the temperature never got above zero degrees, I am sure looking forward to warth and riding winter has blown.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:51 PM »
I live in Northern VA in an all electric 70s house.  We have went thru 3 cords plus this winter.  I've now stooped to buying wood packs for $4.99 from the grocery store for two reasons.  One, i'm hoping its finally over next week.  Two, the price of wood for any decent size load of wood is insane right now.  I cord dumped (of good wood) is going for $250 to $275.  Kiln dried is $300 if you pick up - $75 more for delivery.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2014, 05:56:47 PM »
I can usually tell spring coming by the number of dead skunks in the road....so far pretty sparse pickings.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: March 20, 2014, 05:25:56 AM »
That's funny.  Yesterday morning as I left the neighborhood I smelled one the entire half mile over to Route 1.  Haven't smelled one all winter.  Never thought of that.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #125 on: March 20, 2014, 10:46:48 AM »
I saw 1 Skunk last night on the way home...
Momma said she saw 2 Opossums, + 1 skunk, + 2 baby Racoons..... + 1 Baby Groundhog.... :shoot: :deadhorse:

I guess it's the first day of spring.....

hehehe, now we need the temps to go up a smidge...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #126 on: March 20, 2014, 11:00:17 AM »
Saw two dead groundhogs over the weekend hit from cars. Warming, but still got days strung together at 30F. Great lakes really affect the weather especially at springtime with almost 90% of all the lakes frozen over. Great time to take down the winter decorations, order stuff from Murph, pick up the yard.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #127 on: March 20, 2014, 11:24:45 AM »
31 degree commute into work this morning, blue sky and sunny with dry roads, supposed to be sunny and nice all day with a high in the low 50's this afternoon. I love riding this time of year!  :) 8) :thumbs:

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #128 on: March 20, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »
I agree ZG, now and September. It takes a few GOOD rains though to wash off the salt from the roads, and we used VAST amounts this year.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline JoeRau

• Arena
« Reply #129 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:25 PM »
I agree ZG, now and September. It takes a few GOOD rains though to wash off the salt from the roads, and we used VAST amounts this year.
Here too! I swept out the garage stall where my wife parks her SUV.  First time since last fall... Had to weigh the sand - 18 LBS!  From just a 12'x20' area.  The street looks more like a dirt road than a city street.  The pavement that is dry, is white with salt yet too.  Another few weeks of storage for my bike. 
I did take the time to hook up the battery tender & get the registration sticker on the plate today.  Wishful thinking....  Weather shows rain & freezing rain for tomorrow.
2012 C14.  Black
COG member 10990

Offline Conrad

« Reply #130 on: March 21, 2014, 04:29:29 AM »
Saw two dead groundhogs over the weekend hit from cars. Warming, but still got days strung together at 30F. Great lakes really affect the weather especially at springtime with almost 90% of all the lakes frozen over. Great time to take down the winter decorations, order stuff from Murph, pick up the yard.

I REALLY hate seeing road kill, it makes me sad. But this year it makes me even more sad because I think about what those animals had to endure to survive the brutal winter that we just went through. Only the very toughest animals would have made it through the record cold temps that we had only to get creamed by a car.  :(
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Classvino

• Longtime Kawi Rider
« Reply #131 on: March 21, 2014, 08:50:03 AM »
...get the registration sticker on the plate today...

Oh, crap.  I knew I'd forgotten something...

Thanks
Jamie
2013 C14 - First "new" bike
1983 CB1100F, 1977 GS850, 1974 KH750 H2, 1974 KH500 H1, 1975 KH400 S3, 1979 RD 400 Daytona......

Offline Cuda

« Reply #132 on: March 22, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »
Now tell us about the pot hole's :stirpot: 
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Pilgrim

• '12 Black
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2014, 03:17:13 AM »

...and don't forget the frost heaves.

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »
More teasing- forecasting 5" to 8" next Wed., followed by 1" to 3" on Thurs. but I am not falling for it this time. Nope, not gonna' snow. Just a big tease....

Brian

Well looks like you are getting your wish.  Weather guessers are all saying you get 8" to 18" Tuesday into Wednesday.  Should give the newly improved snow caster a complete shake down.

If you still require more testing you could do my driveway as well :finger_fing11:
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline Conrad

« Reply #135 on: March 23, 2014, 06:42:30 AM »
...and don't forget the frost heaves.

If that I could forget these...    :o

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #136 on: March 23, 2014, 06:59:35 AM »
...but not as bad as heat buckling.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #137 on: March 23, 2014, 07:03:26 AM »
...but not as bad as heat buckling.

What's wrong with a couple of sweet jumps from time to time?    ;)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #138 on: March 23, 2014, 07:16:30 AM »
What's wrong with a couple of sweet jumps from time to time?    ;)
http://youtu.be/Nf0l3NO-35U

Offline Conrad

« Reply #139 on: March 23, 2014, 07:27:25 AM »
See? Nothing wrong with that at all.    :o