Author Topic: My long and winding road to a C-14  (Read 1665 times)

Offline KretonsLC

My long and winding road to a C-14
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:05:29 PM »
Hi all,

Last Saturday I bought a nice 2012 Candy Arabian beauty which, once I figured out the KIPASS system, I've really been enjoying.  I came from a 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit, so not a radical change, but there were still a lot of zigs and zags to getting a Connie.  Several years back, knowing that a new bike would likely be beyond my budget, I started thinking that when I was ready I'd probably get either a Connie or FJR that was maybe 5-6 years old.  Even though I hadn't ridden either, after a while I settled on an FJR, mainly because the Connie took premium.  And since the FJR had a bit longer wheelbase I thought it'd let me stretch out a bit more than the Connie.

Then a couple of years ago as I was approaching 60 I started thinking maybe I'd like to just slow down and stretch out, so I started looking at Kawi baggers and fell for the Vaquero.  But I kept looking looking at it's beefier brother, the Voyager, with it's big top case all lit up in the back and driving lights in the front, and thought "Why not just go full Old Fart and get one of those?"  But soon I was seduced by the bright, shiny, unconventional anti-Harley full-dresser - the Indian Roadmaster.  And after riding one, as well as a Chieftain and Springfield, I decided even though it would likely strain my budget I was determined to get one.  Then I started reading about some engine knocking and finish issues that put me off on such an expensive bike, and that led me back to the Voyager.  So I test road one and really loved it, although like with the Roadmaster, I kept thinking about dealing with all that weight in stop and go commuting in the summer, as well as maneuvering it around in my parking garage at work and not being able to back one up even on a slight incline.  So then I was reminded that Goldwings have a reverse, and started looking at those.  But I had to go back about 10 years to find one that would fit my budget, and even those were scarce.  Plus once I saw that changing the air filter was an all day job, that and worrying about all the fancy electronic bells and whistles going south on an older bike gradually cooled my jets on a 'Wing.

Which last month brought me back to the Connie vs. FJR debate, spiced up by briefly considering an ST1300 and K1300GT as well.  But the ST, with it's higher MSRP than the Connie, still lacked heated grips and even a 12v adapter, so that soured me on it.  And while the Beemer had more bells and whistles, its low gearing didn't appeal to me either.  And after looking at Connie vs. FJR ergos, I decided the Connie would be the way to go.  But what really convinced me is the Connie just looks the most bad-ass of the sport-tourers.  I really love the aggressive profile with the fairing vents flowing with the saddle bag ridges and tying it all together.  And one brief test ride on the interstate in a 20 mph crosswind sealed the deal!

Glad I'm here and looking forward to learning from you all!

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
Re: My long and winding road to a C-14
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:55:05 PM »
 Not to mention all the awesome people you’re going to meet on this forum!
Welcome!!!
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:34:05 AM »
And from an Indian Roadmaster owner.....Welcome!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
Hi all,

Last Saturday I bought a nice 2012 Candy Arabian beauty which, once I figured out the KIPASS system, I've really been enjoying.  I came from a 2007 Suzuki GSF1250S Bandit, so not a radical change, but there were still a lot of zigs and zags to getting a Connie.  Several years back, knowing that a new bike would likely be beyond my budget, I started thinking that when I was ready I'd probably get either a Connie or FJR that was maybe 5-6 years old.  Even though I hadn't ridden either, after a while I settled on an FJR, mainly because the Connie took premium.  And since the FJR had a bit longer wheelbase I thought it'd let me stretch out a bit more than the Connie.

Then a couple of years ago as I was approaching 60 I started thinking maybe I'd like to just slow down and stretch out, so I started looking at Kawi baggers and fell for the Vaquero.  But I kept looking looking at it's beefier brother, the Voyager, with it's big top case all lit up in the back and driving lights in the front, and thought "Why not just go full Old Fart and get one of those?"  But soon I was seduced by the bright, shiny, unconventional anti-Harley full-dresser - the Indian Roadmaster.  And after riding one, as well as a Chieftain and Springfield, I decided even though it would likely strain my budget I was determined to get one.  Then I started reading about some engine knocking and finish issues that put me off on such an expensive bike, and that led me back to the Voyager.  So I test road one and really loved it, although like with the Roadmaster, I kept thinking about dealing with all that weight in stop and go commuting in the summer, as well as maneuvering it around in my parking garage at work and not being able to back one up even on a slight incline.  So then I was reminded that Goldwings have a reverse, and started looking at those.  But I had to go back about 10 years to find one that would fit my budget, and even those were scarce.  Plus once I saw that changing the air filter was an all day job, that and worrying about all the fancy electronic bells and whistles going south on an older bike gradually cooled my jets on a 'Wing.

Which last month brought me back to the Connie vs. FJR debate, spiced up by briefly considering an ST1300 and K1300GT as well.  But the ST, with it's higher MSRP than the Connie, still lacked heated grips and even a 12v adapter, so that soured me on it.  And while the Beemer had more bells and whistles, its low gearing didn't appeal to me either.  And after looking at Connie vs. FJR ergos, I decided the Connie would be the way to go.  But what really convinced me is the Connie just looks the most bad-ass of the sport-tourers.  I really love the aggressive profile with the fairing vents flowing with the saddle bag ridges and tying it all together.  And one brief test ride on the interstate in a 20 mph crosswind sealed the deal!

Glad I'm here and looking forward to learning from you all!

My favorite color of all time-hopefully it doesn't have that huge black bazooka defacing this badass cruise missile.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:59:33 PM »
And from an Indian Roadmaster owner.....Welcome!

Thanks VirginiaJim!  I still hope to have a Roadie in my garage down the line.  I just got a little nervous when I read some guys with early production '15s were having issues, but they are freakin' awesome bikes.  Hopefully around retirement time I'll be able to get a '16 or '17.

Offline KretonsLC

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:08:33 PM »
My favorite color of all time-hopefully it doesn't have that huge black bazooka defacing this badass cruise missile.

By huge black bazooka, would that be the stock muffler you're referring to?  If so, rest assured it's not.  It came with a stainless steel Muzzys.  Maybe not my first choice if I were to have replaced the stocker myself, but it's nice and pretty quiet, even though it lacks a db killer.  Sounds tough, but not obnoxious when I get on the throttle.

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:49:50 PM »
By huge black bazooka, would that be the stock muffler you're referring to?  If so, rest assured it's not.  It came with a stainless steel Muzzys.  Maybe not my first choice if I were to have replaced the stocker myself, but it's nice and pretty quiet, even though it lacks a db killer.  Sounds tough, but not obnoxious when I get on the throttle.

I'd say you are good to go, 20 lbs. lighter and lookin' like a proper sport tourer. Welcome.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 12:00:02 PM »
Thanks VirginiaJim!  I still hope to have a Roadie in my garage down the line.  I just got a little nervous when I read some guys with early production '15s were having issues, but they are freakin' awesome bikes.  Hopefully around retirement time I'll be able to get a '16 or '17.

There's issues with all bikes.  My 16 has been relatively trouble free.  Best bike I've ever rode, however the C14 is just as amazing in own right.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 03:28:20 PM »

There's issues with all bikes.  My 16 has been relatively trouble free.  Best bike I've ever rode, however the C14 is just as amazing in own right.
Maybe it's you, Jim.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 04:19:17 PM »
Could very well be.  My wife seems to think so.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »
A wise woman indeed.