Author Topic: Kids and Their Cars  (Read 11022 times)

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Kids and Their Cars
« on: February 10, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
Just had to share.

Was at the lights yesterday, little lady on the back, and I hear a car revving its engine beside me.  I have a look and here are two young'uns in a Ford Falcon checking us out and revving the guts out of the car - also noticed a P plate on the bonnet (means a Provisional license, they're not Learners, but don't have a full license).  Now in my opinion you don't need to know that this bike is a 160hp beast, it just plain looks like a weapon, but OK, I'll play your little game. The bike is in DEFCON 5 mode with the windshield fully up, so I lower it down and we're at DEFCON 3.

The lights go green and I start off without much effort, don't need to completly embaress him, and from the corner of my eye I can see this guy is hunched over the wheel giving his V8 all its got. I do a lazy shift up to 2nd, I hear him change gears with a squeal of his tyres.  Hmmm, don't like this, the kid isn't properly in control of his car, so I flip up the visor, give him a long hard look, and just roll on the throttle.  We're now at DEFCON 1 and naturally the GTR walks away from him like he's going backwards.

He catches up to us when we were stopped at the next set of lights and says out the window, "Holy f#^k that thing is fast!"  Gave him a little knowing nod and rolled off into the sunset with the bike back at DEFCON 5 - mission accomplished.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Kids and Their Cars
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
Yeah, I am *always* amazed when people in cars think they are "fast" :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline MidlifeCrisis

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 10:26:40 PM »
Just about any bike 600cc and up is faster than all but the sportiest of sports cars.  It's like those silly F-16 vs. Busa comparos the mags like to entertain us with from time to time.  Very different animals.
'09 Concours ABS, Candy Diamond Red
'08 Aprilia RSV1000R Factory, Red Lion
'05 GSXR600 (track bike)
'08 Suzuki S83 (selling)

Offline connie1

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 11:00:16 PM »
Buddy on Harley- "this bike has tons of power-ya wanna race?"
Me on c14- "well ok...you start...I'll go get my coat."

These things are just sick!
Man do I love this bike! Red '09

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 11:35:07 PM »
People around here seem to understand about bikes, nobody ever even tries me. Or maybe it just seems like they aren't trying???
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2012, 06:43:00 AM »
That's good clean fun right there.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2012, 07:03:00 AM »
I was talking to my daughter on the phone awhile back and she told me her boyfriend just bought a Harley, suppose to be a really beefed up motor on it. I told him to ask him if he wanted to race for pink slips, after she told him what I rode, he said "NO THANK YOU"  ;)

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline Tarheelbob

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2012, 09:03:23 AM »
I was talking to my daughter on the phone awhile back and she told me her boyfriend just bought a Harley, suppose to be a really beefed up motor on it. I told him to ask him if he wanted to race for pink slips, after she told him what I rode, he said "NO THANK YOU"  ;)

Smart young man. I think he'll be OK, even if he does have a Harley.  :chugbeer:
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2012, 11:33:11 AM »
People around here seem to understand about bikes, nobody ever even tries me. Or maybe it just seems like they aren't trying???

Very well could be lol.  I get a lot of random cars time to time racing me, never once has it worked out for them.  Often times i just roll on the throttle a bit and they give up so that could be it LOL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2012, 12:04:33 PM »
Very well could be lol.  I get a lot of random cars time to time racing me, never once has it worked out for them.  Often times i just roll on the throttle a bit and they give up so that could be it LOL

I find it particularly amusing when some car drivers think I am trying to race (because I accelerate so much faster than they are used to ever seeing, I suppose),  but it is just my normal, laid-back acceleration- at something like 1/3 throttle, rarely going over 6K RPM.  I have no interest in "racing" other vehicles.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
I was heading back north from the Hill Country, just minding my own business and cruising along at about 70 mph. This BMW sedan is gaining on me pretty quickly and as he approaches he seems to have this look on his face like I'm slowing him down. So, I ease over to the R/H side of the lane so that he can pass more easily. He kinda gives me this "I'm badass" look as he goes by.

After he gets about 75-100 yards ahead, I speed up to match his pace of about 90 mph. I'm really just using him as my personal radar catcher, knowing that I can slow quickly if I see his brake lights come on.

He sees that I'm trailing him, so he begins to speed up, 95, 100, and climbing, so I ease up closer behind him. I know we're coming up on a long straight stretch were the road is visible for miles, so get a little closer as he gets to about 105-110 or so. He's watching me in his mirror as I ease over next to the center line right and make a show that I'm going to pass. As I pull out, he hits the pedal (why, I don't know).

I just drop down a couple of gears and open up the throttle and blow by him. Once he sees that he has no chance, he backs off. Since I was watching the road ahead and also keeping an eyer on him, I didn't really pay attention to how fast I was going before I started to slow down.

When I got home, I checked the "max speed" on my Garmin to see just how fast I'd been. It was ... let's just say ... FAST.  ;)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2012, 01:35:10 PM »
I find it particularly amusing when some car drivers think I am trying to race (because I accelerate so much faster than they are used to ever seeing, I suppose),  but it is just my normal, laid-back acceleration- at something like 1/3 throttle, rarely going over 6K RPM.  I have no interest in "racing" other vehicles.

+1. Even tho my bikes can go pretty fast, I'm happiest between 0 and the speed limit. Once I get to the speed limit, I back off. I like the feeling of the acceleration, and that's better than flat out speed for me (not that I haven't done THAT from time to time).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »
+1. Even tho my bikes can go pretty fast, I'm happiest between 0 and the speed limit. Once I get to the speed limit, I back off. I like the feeling of the acceleration, and that's better than flat out speed for me (not that I haven't done THAT from time to time).

My problem is 0 to the speed limit happens so dang fast that by the time I react to slow down I'm double the speed limit...   ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2012, 01:59:11 PM »

I was riding with a friend once (I was on my ZRX-1100, he was on his RF-900) and we accelerated pretty quickly and a cop came and harassed us.  But we had not gone over the speed limit, and didn't lose control of either bike, so the cop really just gave him a lecture (friend was in the lead), but couldn't do anything.  As far as I am aware, there are no regulations about acceleration, as long as you are in control of the vehicle and don't spin the tires.

I suppose some cops could just fabricate something, however; most will at least use it as an excuse to run your plates, check your insurance and tags, inspect helmet, etc.  That leads me to another story- I was on route 5, was on a straight area and it was beautiful.  I really wasn't paying much attention to my speed, but was speeding... perhaps 68 in a 55.  A state trooper was opposite and freaked.  He acted like I was going to run away from him!  Of course I did not.  He pulled me over and asked me for my license and registration.  He was kinda surprised when I took off my helmet and was NOT some 20's/30's something guy.  He went back to his car, then came back, looked at all my proper safety equipment and tags and said "did you know how fast you were going?".  I honestly said "No I don't, officer.  I try to be near the speed limit, but my speed varies much more than on a car because the speedometer graduation is much harder to see and they make bikes so damn powerful now".  He said "Yeah, I know, I have one too.  Did you know you have a perfect driving record?"  I said "Yeah, this is unfortunate."   HE LET ME GO WITH A WARNING!  I was shocked.  But I was doing nothing really wrong, was polite and respectful, had a good record.   I think they were much more interested in sticking it to head-strong, young, racer-type punks who have lots of things wrong.  I was very thankful.

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2012, 02:07:58 PM »
I was riding with a friend once (I was on my ZRX-1100, he was on his RF-900) and we accelerated pretty quickly and a cop came and harassed us.  But we had not gone over the speed limit, and didn't lose control of either bike, so the cop really just gave him a lecture (friend was in the lead), but couldn't do anything.  As far as I am aware, there are no regulations about acceleration, as long as you are in control of the vehicle and don't spin the tires.  I suppose some cops could just fabricate something, however.

Yeah, I won't do it if I can see LEO...

I like the times when I accelerate off a light and the person next to me thinks that I'm trying to race, and as I approach the speed limit, they go flying by and have to hit the brakes or something... I just chuckle to myself and enjoy my seat time (and secretly hope there's an LEO watching them whiz by).
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Joncon11

« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2012, 02:24:13 PM »
On this bike (or any I have had for that matter) we are perfectly capable of imposing our will on almost any vehicle on the road. The key is to wield this power responsibly   ;).

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2012, 04:59:57 PM »
On this bike (or any I have had for that matter) we are perfectly capable of imposing our will on almost any vehicle on the road. The key is to wield this power responsibly   ;).
The dark side of the force, however, is strong.  8)

Thanks for your stories, everyone.  :D
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2012, 05:20:57 PM »
I was heading back north from the Hill Country, just minding my own business and cruising along at about 70 mph. This BMW sedan is gaining on me pretty quickly and as he approaches he seems to have this look on his face like I'm slowing him down. So, I ease over to the R/H side of the lane so that he can pass more easily. He kinda gives me this "I'm badass" look as he goes by.

After he gets about 75-100 yards ahead, I speed up to match his pace of about 90 mph. I'm really just using him as my personal radar catcher, knowing that I can slow quickly if I see his brake lights come on.

He sees that I'm trailing him, so he begins to speed up, 95, 100, and climbing, so I ease up closer behind him. I know we're coming up on a long straight stretch were the road is visible for miles, so get a little closer as he gets to about 105-110 or so. He's watching me in his mirror as I ease over next to the center line right and make a show that I'm going to pass. As I pull out, he hits the pedal (why, I don't know).

I just drop down a couple of gears and open up the throttle and blow by him. Once he sees that he has no chance, he backs off. Since I was watching the road ahead and also keeping an eyer on him, I didn't really pay attention to how fast I was going before I started to slow down.

When I got home, I checked the "max speed" on my Garmin to see just how fast I'd been. It was ... let's just say ... FAST.  ;)
I had a "race" with a BMW driver many years ago in Nevada on US 50. As I came up from behind on my Ninja 900 he sped up. I did as well and he responded until we both settled in at about 115mph. I followed him for about 20 miles at that speed. I was not about to pass him since it was night time. All of a sudden  he slowed drastically and I did too. He pulled of and as I eased on by I could see smoke billowing from his hood.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2012, 05:27:17 PM »
My TBSS will carry me down the 1320 quicker than my Connie. Close though. 11.0@122mph to 11.23@124
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2012, 07:26:21 PM »
My TBSS will carry me down the 1320 quicker than my Connie. Close though. 11.0@122mph to 11.23@124

Have no idea what a "TBSS" is, but Concours stats I have show 2010-2012 with 1/4mi 10.76sec @ 126MPH.  Of course, those are what I read.  I would never attempt to do it, myself :)

Also:  0-60 2.9sec  0-100 6.8sec

No, I don't remember the sources.  But I did seek confirmation from several places before making my "official" notes.