Author Topic: Solicitation  (Read 10044 times)

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: Solicitation
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 04:43:11 AM »
I apologize.  Very bad hair night.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 05:07:00 AM »
I'm assuming this will get locked and/or moved to the Arena before I see a response, but I am curious as to where/whether/if there is any scriptural basis for praying to saints and/or burying statues/graven images/idols rightside up or upside down in order to get a house sold.  I didn't seem to find it in my Bible.   Thanks for your cooperation.

I'm no Biblical scholar, not by a long shot. I am not sure there is any scriptual basis for praying to Saints, as saints mostly appeared in history after the Bible was written. I believe it is more a Catholic belief/practice/dogma, as the Catholic Church is the body responsible for naming/cannonizing saints. As I am Catholic, I was raised on belief in and prayer to the saints for intervention on items that specific saints are supposed to be patrons of, i.e., St. Anthony for help in finding lost items. Statues, images, "idols" etc. seems to be, as far as I can find, tradition not based in the Catholic church but in personal belief and stories. This is another reason I chose not to partake in the burial "ritual". I do have the statue to remind me to remain vigilant in my prayer and belief that St. Joseph will intervene on my behalf with his stepson.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »
Thats bull **** and you know it.  Its your beliefs in life that determine your actions. Sorry MODS right now I dont give a flying f&*k about anything.

If I believe that recycling is important but send my newspaper to the local dump, it's my actions that define me.  If I believe that traffic laws are important, but drive through stop signs, it's my actions that define me.  If I believe that all men are equal then treat anybody as something other than my equal, it's my actions that define me.  I don't think it's bullpucky.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2012, 07:16:11 AM »
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2012, 07:19:51 AM »
If I believe that recycling is important but send my newspaper to the local dump, it's my actions that define me.  If I believe that traffic laws are important, but drive through stop signs, it's my actions that define me.  If I believe that all men are equal then treat anybody as something other than me equal, it's my actions that define me.  It's seems to me that you have it backwards.
It seems like you two are like the blind men and the elephant.  Both are correct, but seem to see only part of the equation.  Emerson's whole quote, which I take to be a pretty accurate observation of life, is: " Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2012, 07:28:24 AM »
It seems like you two are like the blind men and the elephant.  Both are correct, but seem to see only part of the equation.  Emerson's whole quote, which I take to be a pretty accurate observation of life, is: " Sow a thought and you reap an action; sow an act and you reap a habit; sow a habit and you reap a character; sow a character and you reap a destiny."

You might be right, or course.  However, I've found that I usually act my way into good thinking rather than think my way into good acting.  I've never been able to think my way out of a problem.  I consider my options and then take an action.

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2012, 10:25:20 AM »
There is a lot of truth being spoken in the philosophical discussion taking place here, and I'll weigh in. I agree that actions are what defines a person. I can't speak for all, but my actions are largely based upon my beliefs. I believe there is power in positive thinking, prayer if you choose, and that power can effect the outcome of a given situation. As my beliefs change, as will happen as an individual continues to grow and mature, my actions have changed to reflect my beliefs. If you believe something is right or wrong but don't reflect that in your actions, you don't seem convicted to your beliefs. And, perhaps, that is the term that has not entered the conversation yet that may clarify things, conviction. I believe in a lot of things that don't guide who I am or how I act (I believe baby squirrels exist, even though I've never seen one), but the beliefs I am convicted to, do.
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2012, 10:46:03 AM »
Baby squirrels? Seriously? They are a myth; isnt that like believing in Saint Nick 8)
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2012, 10:49:29 AM »
There's no St. Nick?  :yikes:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 17, 2012, 12:30:25 PM »
There's no St. Nick?  :yikes:
There actually is one.  Unfortunately he is buried face down in my front yard.  I guess its supposed to help people buy me bigger, better, faster, more expensive presents.
2002 Conc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2012, 12:50:32 PM »
There actually is one.  Unfortunately he is buried face down in my front yard.  I guess its supposed to help people buy me bigger, better, faster, more expensive presents.

:rotflmao:

How's that workin out for ya?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 12:53:15 PM »
It would be my guess......not well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Taff

« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 01:15:57 PM »
Lighten up girls, life is too short believe me!

"All in the best possible way" ala Kenny Everett great British zany comic!  ;D ;D

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:08 PM »

I dont know, but I'm willing to guess that Santa's helpers are bringing more than just coal to your blanket party...

COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: May 18, 2012, 04:10:55 AM »
Lighten up girls, life is too short believe me!

"All in the best possible way" ala Kenny Everett great British zany comic!  ;D ;D

I don't know, I think of the Little Britain sketches.  That makes me laugh.

That's a fairly good technique when you are feeling down.  Think of things that make you laugh.  I think about some of the members here and start chuckling all the time.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: May 18, 2012, 05:22:56 AM »

Ummmm thats sorta creepy.  Somebody has way to much time on their hands
2002 Conc

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #36 on: May 18, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
No joy on the sale, the potential buyer went with the other house. We are not out of the game yet, though. The other house is a complicate sale involving the divorce of it's current owners. We, along with our agent, are offering a "sellers offer" to try to entice the buyer back our way. Offering a price below our current asking price (with room to negotiate) as well as some of the power equipment in the shed. Snowblowers, generator and the lawn tractor along with it's attachments will either not be needed in NC or will get replaced. Our sale is also a "no drama" sale; they pay, we move. Done. We still have hope to get our foot in the door with this buyer. Keep those thoughts and prayers headed our way!
COG 9331

Offline Conrad

« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2012, 10:38:51 AM »
No joy on the sale, the potential buyer went with the other house. We are not out of the game yet, though. The other house is a complicate sale involving the divorce of it's current owners. We, along with our agent, are offering a "sellers offer" to try to entice the buyer back our way. Offering a price below our current asking price (with room to negotiate) as well as some of the power equipment in the shed. Snowblowers, generator and the lawn tractor along with it's attachments will either not be needed in NC or will get replaced. Our sale is also a "no drama" sale; they pay, we move. Done. We still have hope to get our foot in the door with this buyer. Keep those thoughts and prayers headed our way!

Do you have the address of the other potential house? If so, burry this in the yard.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #38 on: May 18, 2012, 10:41:09 AM »
Actually, we do....
COG 9331

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:55 PM »
wow, this is the first time I have heard of burying idols being condoned by the catholic church...I find it a bit intriguing they would suggest extortion  upon a saint, pretty funny.

I suppose you could bury this in the yard,

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..