Author Topic: Starting to acquire camping gear  (Read 9158 times)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
Starting to acquire camping gear
« on: June 09, 2012, 12:32:54 PM »
My plan is to do a long (1-2 month) ride either to Alaska and back or possibly a four corners ride once I get out of the Army.  I would like to do a smaller ride this fall and have started buying gear.  My first big purchase was a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent with DAC aluminum poles.  I am set as far as sleeping bags go since I have several of differing weights.  I also bought some REI stuff sacks orgnanize my clothing and other small items. 

Here is the list of stuff that I know I will need to acquire, if you have a suggestion of where to pick one up at a reasonable rate go ahead and post up.  If you see that I have omitted anything go ahead and post that up too. 

1. tent stakes
2. tent footprint/tarp
3. alcohol stove (probably the smaller less expensive version)
4. chair (anything better than a Kermit chair?)
5. mattress or pad (I might just use a PT mat)
6. LED lantern
7. hatchet
8. mallet (or should I not waste the space and just use the hatchet or E-tool for hammer duties?)
9. small supply of field stripped MRE's (I will eat as much fresh food as possible)
10. 1-2 gallon water container

Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
Re: Starting to acquire camping gear
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 12:58:28 PM »
I have found the following checklists to be helpful for trip planning:

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
Jeremy, I've camped a lot with scouts and tried to do it cheap. But: some places you can skimp, some you can't. Buy good aluminum tent pegs. The cheap ones from WalMart will bend in your hands. I'd also carry maybe 4 of those long nail looking stakes with the plastic ends for rocky ground.

A cheap mallet is okay, you might find a $3 rubber mallet at Big Lots or somewhere. Or just use the hatchet. Spend the $10 or so for a tent pole repair kit and take some duct tape around your water bottle. Or get a six inch piece of tubing that will slide over the tent pole to stablize a kink or break. Tape it with the duct tape. A small tube of seam seal or goop and some duct tape will fix a hole in your tent. Put the tape on inside and outside of the hole and cover it with goop.

For a ground cloth, set your tent on a big piece of 6 mil plastic and draw around the tent edge with a sharpie. If you use black plastic, just cut round the tent. Cut out the plastic with scissors. If you know someone who builds houses, see if you can score a big piece of Tyvek house wrap. It's tough and light. Cut it the same way. Try your tent in the rain or under a sprinkler and make sure it doesn't leak. Cut a little piece the size of your vestibule so you have a place to put  your boots outside.

Tarps: Depending on how much weight you want or want to spend, pick up a cheapie at Lowe's.  UV rays ruin tarps (along with high winds).  Cut some 3/4" wide cross sections out of an old inner tube to make big rubber bands and tie them between the ropes and the grommets for shock absorbers. Bungee cords will work,too.

Carry a collapsible 1-2 gallon jug and one Nalgene bottle. The jug is floppy but guess what? It collapses! I have an MSR vinyl bladder with a piece of cord that I hang up for a hand washing station, dish rinsing station, and for a drinking bladder.
2014 C-14 Red

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 09:38:50 PM »
Jeremy, I'll see about laying my kit out and snapping some pics, along with desrciptions.  It's all been selected with the idea of packing on the bike and being somewhere in the middle of nowhere.  Something to consider is dual use, such as a multi fuel stove, the gas not used ofr cooking can be used in the bike if needed.  I started with this, but have since upgraded to the jet boil setup, I also have an LP lantern, small, very bright, and a source of heat for the tent, really nice after a day of riding in the rain.  A must have piece of gear, a good lod fashioned poncho, with liner if space allows.  Roadside repairs, setting up camp, extra coverage, just hard to beat.  I'll also see about setting up the Redverdz tent and parking the 14 or KLR inside.  It is an awesome bit of kit, big, but o so worth it.  Something that is an almost must item, light weight shoes.  A small chair would be a bonus, but is down at the bottom of the list.  Use a dry bag partially emptied, propped against whatever is handy.  Top of the list is something for fixing tires, a coupla small C)2 type cylinders and the plugs of your choosing.  E Tools are awesome, but heavy, Gerber makes a really nice compact shoevl that also has an area for driving pegs.  This is also an almost must have, this and a small saw will feed the fire and also be on hand to make trenches should the rain turn your tent into a swimming pool.  You already know how important socks are, bring more then you think you'll need.  At least one extra (read third pair) of gloves.  Don't forget a good compact first aid kit, I always have one pack of clotting agent, I'm sure you can get your hands on at least one pack.  Another idea, get a good water filter from REI, much smaller then packing a coupla gallons of water (beyond the requisite camal back).  Also consider a small cooler, cloth sided.  A last bit of advice, seemless shorts.  Some scars just aint sexy 8)

Offline koval68

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 09:46:06 PM »
I am a big fan of tent hammocks, they pack small, are very light and offer a great level of comfort and support!
Check out other ultralight gear on their website.

http://hennessyhammock.com/
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline jimmymac

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 06:55:55 AM »
Ever check out Roadrunner magazine? They've had quite a few articles on camping on the go. Lots of good tips there. 8)
The grass isn't always greener.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 07:29:15 AM »
Lots of great tips here. 

@RonDawg:  I am probably gonna buy the footprint made for my tent unless I can get my hands on one and see that a regular tarp can do just as good of a job protecting my tent.  The MSR water bladders had already caught my eye.  I picked out some aluminum MSR ground hog stakes that are supposed to be the cat's meow.  $2.50 a pop but I know how much of a pain it is to deal with garbage stakes (been in the Army for 12 years).

@SOP:  Here is what I have been looking at for an inexpensive cooking setup.

http://www.rei.com/product/769473/optimus-crux-lite-cooking-system 

First aid kit is always on my bike and I have a couple packs of quikclot along with a couple tourniquets. That is an area where I hope to never be caught short.  Gloves, socks, underwear, and shirts are always abundant in my bags.  Should I carry the CO2 cartridges instead of my normal compressor?  I always have my plug/patch kit and compressor, they don't take up much room and I like having the light that is built into the compressor.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 09:49:18 AM »
http://www.rei.com/product/784354/primus-easylight-lantern-with-piezo
Here's the lantern I got, used my points at the end of the year from REI.  Works great, really bright and puts out a fair amount of heat, also uses the same canisters as the stove.  I pack 3 of the fuel cylinders, 2 of the large and one small.  I have a small compressor, takes up way more space then the CO2 does, I may even get a coupla more.  I got the large ones, 'cuz we all know, size does matter ;) http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/monster_air_chuck_co2_tire_inflation_and_repair_kit/web1002921
Space and weight become premium and cheaper won't always work when ya needit.  I would not use the CO2 kit on a car or truck, I'd use the compressor, I'd also use the compressor on short trips, but long trips?  Also, unless your'e travelling during the cold seasons do you really NEED a sleeping pad?  This is another thing the dry bag could come in handy, all I ever need is a slim layer at the hips and shoulders, a sweatshirt in the shoulder area, and folded jeans at the hips, jacket liner works great for a pillow.  And this brings up why a bigger tent is so so handy, a place to hang wet gear to dry out and room for you to avoid the wet gear, this is also where the heat comes in.  Pack only what you need, should you have extra space, fill it with socks ;D

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 06:42:59 PM »
 A multi fuel stove is nice if it also burns gasoline.  Check out the "Sterilite" pen (think it's spelled right) which uses ultraviolet light to purify water. Also, when I backpack in the summer, I'll use a 3/4 length thermarest and an inflatable pillow. I put my clothes  under my legs and I'm good to go. Have fun.
2014 C-14 Red

Taff

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
My plan is to do a long (1-2 month) ride either to Alaska and back or possibly a four corners ride once I get out of the Army.  I would like to do a smaller ride this fall and have started buying gear.  My first big purchase was a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 tent with DAC aluminum poles.  I am set as far as sleeping bags go since I have several of differing weights.  I also bought some REI stuff sacks orgnanize my clothing and other small items. 

Here is the list of stuff that I know I will need to acquire, if you have a suggestion of where to pick one up at a reasonable rate go ahead and post up.  If you see that I have omitted anything go ahead and post that up too. 

1. tent stakes
2. tent footprint/tarp
6. LED lantern
7. hatchet
8. mallet (or should I not waste the space and just use the hatchet or E-tool for hammer duties?)
9. small supply of field stripped MRE's (I will eat as much fresh food as possible)

Jeremy don't forget to pack one of those adjustable LED flashlights that you can wear on your head  ;D ;D

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2012, 11:05:55 AM »
1. tent stakes
2. tent footprint/tarp
6. LED lantern
7. hatchet

Easton makes some aluminum stakes look similar to arrow shafts, lightweight, durable, and work anywhere except solid rock. I purchased mine in 1990. still work very well.

Chair, if you want a chair nothing comes close to the Kermit. I've been using mine for about 14 years still going strong, and very comfy.

Mattress ,pad, The EXPED Downmat is the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. Has it's own built in pump.

LED lantern, you may find that a LED headlight will give you all the light you need. Bright lights ruin your night vision, there is a lot to see when your camped at night, amazing star shows, critters etc. Things you will not see if sitting near a bright light.

I use a Gerber hatchet, works well for many things including driving tent pegs.

Enjoy
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
I prefer the jetboil system and some Mountain House Meals.  Eat lunch in a Wendy's or KFC and snag some plastic wrapped utensils for a couple nights meals.  Nothing to clean up.

http://www.jetboil.com/
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
Lots of good comments so far.  +1 on the water filter and multi-fuel stove.  White gas, kerosene, diesel, unleaded auto gas will likely be easier to come by where you are going than alcohol, and they have more BTU's.  MSR makes a great multi-fuel unit.  My favorite backpacking stove is the tiny Snow Peak unit that takes the iso-butane/propane cartridges, but those may not be readily available, and don't work as well as liquid fuels when it's below freeaing.  Water should be plentiful up to and including Alaska, good to carry some, but also be able to make as much as you need in some circumstances.  If your bike cooling system springs a leak, you may have to use your drinking water to get along. You'll need to make more.  When I back-pack, I always put a Space Blanket in the tent, silver side up.  It reflects a lot of heat and keeps my tent several degrees warmer as well as making a great vapor barrier, and survival wrap if need be.  Get a good hatchet and forgo the mallet, save weight and space.  I try to make as much of my stuff "multi-use" as possible.  I like the curved, "nesting" type of aluminum tent pegs, with the lightening holes in them.  In snow, the holes let the snow go through and refreeze, which helps to hold them in.  LED head lamps are the greatest invention ever.  I have five, keep one in each truck, one for shop use, one in my "bug-out" bag, one for backpacking.  I HATE trying to hold a tiny flashlight (or worse yet a 3-D-cell Maglite) in my teeth when trying to repair something in the freezing rain at midnight.  A good full-size Leatherman tool can be useful, but won't be a substitute for a full toolkit.  I have a Wave, and a Sidekick.  Another BIG +1 is a comfortable sleeping arrangement, pad, air mattress or whatever you prefer.  I love my Thermarest, but they are spendy.  Whatever you decide on, use it for a week or so at home, and make SURE it's what  you want.  Lack of good sleep is a very bad thing, makes the whole trip more tiring, aggravating and dangerously fatiguing.  Good earplugs.  If you don't use them now, suggest you find some you like and get used to them.  Noise is fatiguing and a looooong day in the saddle can make you really wacky as well as the hearing damage (but that's a whole 'nuther thread).

http://www.sunnysports.com/Prod/MSRWI.html?&&

http://www.rei.com/gear/feature/search/Google/snowpeak%20stoves?s_kwcid=TC|13029|snowpeak%20stoves||S|e|15196216565&gclid=CL-brpGynbMCFYF7Qgod1X0AWw
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Sgt Mac

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 06:57:58 PM »
Another BIG +1 is a comfortable sleeping arrangement, pad, air mattress or whatever you prefer.  I love my Thermarest, but they are spendy.  Whatever you decide on, use it for a week or so at home, and make SURE it's what  you want.  Lack of good sleep is a very bad thing, makes the whole trip more tiring, aggravating and dangerously fatiguing.

Definitely. IMO a good sleeping pad is worth every penny. A PT pad is going to take up twice as much room as most good commercial pads...and be nowhere near as comfortable. The test drive period is a great idea as well, may save you quite a bit of grief in the long run. 

There's a lot of good advice in this thread, glad I clicked on it.

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2012, 11:57:24 AM »
I like your stove choice as I have the older version of that and It has never failed me.   It has been all over the country and even in high elevations in AK it worked good. Gas canisters are about at every outdoor shop and Wally World too.

I would add to your list a head lamp...(which has been mentioned)....very very useful and more so than a flashlight as it is hands free and so much easier to use.

here is something to think about with battery powered items...C123 batteries are harder to find and more expensive, AA and AAA are cheaper and easier to find if needed.   Try and get all your batery stuff the same battery useage.   I prefer the C123 size, but I buy them in bulk so I always have extras..
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline sherob

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2012, 12:06:16 PM »
Checkout www.motocampers.com  tons of great info for motorcycle campers.  8)
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline Miss Silvera

• "Listen With Your Eyes"
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:09:12 PM »
I wanna add one more thing....WATERPROOF BAGS!  Lke you use in the kayak and the boat.   They are easy to strap on, easy to use, you can stuff em full and use them as a pillow at night ...

You can get colored ones and clear ones  all different sizes....I don't and wouldn't leave on a trip with out my stuff packed in them.....as you can strap them on the bike, the cargo basket, the kayak, where ever.   
"Listen With Your Eyes" 
Identify, Acquire, Press, Press, Move
Wit, Grit, Courage,and Determination .....
win gunfights

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 05:42:36 PM »
I like your stove choice as I have the older version of that and It has never failed me.   It has been all over the country and even in high elevations in AK it worked good. Gas canisters are about at every outdoor shop and Wally World too.

I would add to your list a head lamp...(which has been mentioned)....very very useful and more so than a flashlight as it is hands free and so much easier to use.

here is something to think about with battery powered items...C123 batteries are harder to find and more expensive, AA and AAA are cheaper and easier to find if needed.   Try and get all your batery stuff the same battery useage.   I prefer the C123 size, but I buy them in bulk so I always have extras..

I was in the market for a camp stove a coupla years ago, One of the things that swayed me away from Jetboil or similar was that my local Wally had an empty shelf where the canisters were supposed to be, more often than not.

So I went old school with one of these:

The propane, while not as light as the canisters, is available at every super market, WallyWhirl, hardware store, everywhere. They last about a week to ten days, using for evening meal, morning coffee, and occasional hot water for personal hygiene when stealth camping. The stove can also use the long propane cylinders designed for a hand held torch. I like it. Simple, clean, frugal, instant start, and performs perfectly from simmer to blast. The weight penalty of propane really doesn't come into play with motorcycle camping.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 10:20:13 PM »
  I prefer something like Thermarest pad. A leaky air matress is a real bitch in the dark.
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline packers

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:47 AM »
I don't have one, but these look good for MC Camping

http://www.luxurylite.com/