Author Topic: STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS  (Read 6854 times)

Offline Thunderlizard

Re: STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2020, 06:12:36 PM »
I didn't want to go the aftermarket route because I felt the more affordable cans looked like something that was slapped on, an afterthought,  (unless I spent $900+ on a high end can), so I went to Lowes and bought 2 long drill extensions and a 1 1/8" hole saw and drilled the snot out of it through the back end.  Believe it or not, it gave me just enough extra growl at cruise to feel good about having a 1400 cc engine, and when I get on it, it actually sounds pretty good! Not loud, but present, if you know what I mean? Instead of the previous stock "wooosh" now I get a nice "GrrrrrRRRRR" Only downside is a few blips and pops on decel. It "feels" like there's more power, but that's probably more the Shoudaben tune.  Funny, before drilling, there was a spot in the 1200-1500 rpm range that would fluctuate and surge. After drilling, it's barely noticable...go figure... :o

So, in the end, I figured, not hard, inexpensive, and if it didn't work, I could either buy a nice aftermarket or pick up one of the OEM's everyone has taken off...how could I lose!

BTW - Love the "Engineering vs YouTube vids" comment, MOB. Spot on. For that matter, I've been turning wrenches for over 40 years, and 25-30 year olds still think they know more 'cause they "Googled it"...hillarious... ::)
I never ride alone...my Lord and Savior is always with me.

2016 GTR1400 Silver, Shoodaben Hammer Flash! Puig Windshield, AVT PullBack Risers, Grabon Covers, AVT Peg Lowers, Wireless Phone Ram Mount, Canyon Bars with Foot Pegs, Sheepskin Saddle cover, AST Backrest and luggage rack... More to come...
Instagram: markjamesholland

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2020, 11:32:33 PM »
drilled the snot out of it through the back end.  Believe it or not, it gave me just enough extra growl at cruise to feel good

You are all going to be very disappointed with electric motorcycles if you can't let go of "noise = power".  ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2020, 02:29:42 AM »
You are all going to be very disappointed with electric motorcycles if you can't let go of "noise = power".  ;)
Yeah, but you can mount an amp and speaker and use one of the programmable noise makers that some car manufacturers use.  :rotflmao:
I think I'd make mine sound like a Lamborghini V10 that can rev to 10500rpm  :thumbs:
By the time the motorcycle manufacturers manage to produce an electric bike that has decent range and fast charging I'll be incapable of riding or dead so it's somebody else's problem.  :popcorn:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2020, 05:31:38 AM »
Yeah, but you can mount an amp and speaker and use one of the programmable noise makers that some car manufacturers use.  :rotflmao:

Yeah- I wonder if they will require that on motorcycles, too (some type of artificial sound at low speed).

By the time the motorcycle manufacturers manage to produce an electric bike that has decent range and fast charging I'll be incapable of riding or dead so it's somebody else's problem.  :popcorn:

Well, that sounds perfectly depressing!  Oh, you have to add- with at least the same performance and also affordable.  Hmm, now you have me wondering if *I* will have the longevity...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Boomer

• Wickford, UK
    • Boomers GTR Site
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2020, 08:55:04 AM »
Well, that sounds perfectly depressing!  Oh, you have to add- with at least the same performance and also affordable.  Hmm, now you have me wondering if *I* will have the longevity...
Sorry Max  :chugbeer:
I've been hearing about electric cars and motorcycles since the late 80s as a friend of mine was addicted to electric conversions back when Li-ion batteries were a fantasy and electric cars used deep cycle lead-acid batteries so they all weighed a ****ing ton!
Ranges were pathetic and performance severely lacking.

The newer electric cars and bikes are now getting there and the performance is already there if the Isle of Man TT-Zero is anything to go by (176Mph peak last year) but they do need to fix the range, charge time, and of course cost.
Cost will be fixed with mass production but they need to at least get close to current range/refuel times for those numbers to go up.

Me, I'm probably gonna buy me another low mileage C10 as my 198k mile '89 is turning into an "eternal broom" and I'm reaching the stage where I no longer want to be spending every weekend in the garage keeping it running.
Gonna keep the C14 until I can no longer ride or one of us dies.  :rotflmao:
George "Boomer" Garratt
Wickford, UK

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2020, 06:55:16 PM »