Author Topic: Final Drive leak.  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Mikey063

Final Drive leak.
« on: August 02, 2016, 12:24:14 PM »
I think that my drive has a substantial leak.  Here are the details.  My bike is a 95 Connie and it has been running great for the last 8 years, but over the weekend I found a huge leak, well huge to me.  This occurred after a weekend in which I had a rider in which I was doing quite a lot of slow riding. 
While the last part is probably not the cause, I just wanted to show what occurred during the problem.  Here are the pictures of the mess.  Any and all help is most appreciated.   I am probably going to either replace all the o rings that may cause a leak ($56.56) OR just buy a used final drive hub for about $125 total.  Not sure of which is the best deal.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 05:16:38 PM by Mikey063 »

Offline Mikey063

Re: Final Drive leak.
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 04:04:19 PM »
I have removed the final drive and did a partial tear down. 

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2016, 08:20:20 PM »
 :popcorn:
Well, you are pretty much commited now... hope you have done a rebuild on a drive unit before this one....

You should have asked HOW to remove that big outer seal, without disassembling the whole thing, before jumping in....

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:35:28 AM »
I already looked up how to do it, I used the Clymer guide and from looking at various other threads.  So at this point, I am actually going to do both things.  I am going to purchase a used final drive, and also replace the o-rings on this one.  Also, I have NOT removed the outer seal yet.  I have only done a tear down up to the outer seal.  I have read about the difficulties in taking that one out, so that is why I have NOT removed it.  I do appreciate your input.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 10:57:05 AM »
That big outer seal is piece of cake and pretty inexpensive too.  That is probably where your leak is.  Drill a small hole (1/8") and pull it out with a sheet metal screw.  Only drill thru the seal because it is aluminum below it.  Clean it all down and tap a new one in.  I used a nice flat smooth piece of 1/2" oak plywood with a hole in it.  I brushed some Permatex gasket sealant on the seal edge just before putting it in.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 02:08:41 PM »
Pretty much my response, but it was all taken apart... before I could say "hey, wait..... do it like..........."

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Mikey063

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Update. 

I replaced the big seal, and then put back together.  Filled with gear oil up to the cap.  Drove for 10 miles and no sign of a leak.  I am very happy with the outcome.  Thanks.