Author Topic: Candy Arabian Red = fastest color!  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Mage

Candy Arabian Red = fastest color!
« on: October 24, 2015, 08:23:07 AM »
I found a leftover 2012 in Urbana Il.  Bought it for $5,000 and a '07 FXD.  So, figure about $10,000 for a 16,000$ bike.

I'm 66 years old.  I live in Terre Haue, In.  I won't give my name - that would be ill-advised, in the extreme.

I've been lurking and asking questions on the COG site, which is where I found a link to this one.

The riding season is over.  Plans for the winter include powder coating those ugly black wheels in some flavor of orange or silver with big metal flakes and clear coat and installing perelli angel tires.  Canyon cages are being considered, as well.

Anything that will make this thing go faster has absolutely NO value, to me!  I don't come anywhere close to using what I already have.  I suspect I share that with most people that are honest, and sane  ::)

I've been looking for a bike I would not have to work on; one lacking a chain and carbs, a bike I can just ride, for a long time.  I think I may finally have found it.  I'm not looking forward to the 16,000 mile valve adjustment.  I can handle it but getting the shims will be a problem.

I think my bike may have been dropped by the stealership.  It has a silver kawasaki emblem on one side, but not the other.  It had a rattle in the dash.  I went looking for it.  I found the bolt that holds the fairing on the right side was missing and the right mirror is broken where the rubber grommet nut mounts to it.  I'll be contacting kawasaki about this, in the spring.

Has anyone else experienced anything like that?

Offline SilverConnieRider

Re: Candy Arabian Red = fastest color!
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 10:09:54 AM »
Welcome.

I wouldn't wait til spring to go to the dealer and demand that they replace the broken part.
The longer you wait - they may say you broke it - so if you just got it I would talk to them ASAP.

If it's the part that holds the rubber grommet they are pretty weak and I did have mine crack - I'm out of warranty so I glued it and
am very careful when installing the screw

Canyon cages are a popular item, as this is a top heavy bike - especially when setting still or going less than 5mph.
Many people have dropped them and now say it's not IF but When you drop it.  I haven't dropped mine yet - hopefully never
will but I have them just in case.  Lots of posts on this subject including how to install them.  I installed mine without a problem but did need to buy a tap.
I've heard that one rear bag costs $900 and it's unlikely that ONLY a bag would get damaged in a tip over.

I installed a McCruise cruise control and it has been my favorite farkle and would do it again.

Handle bar risers and wedges were a big help to me, as I sit up more and much less weight on my wrists etc.
Fender extenders and a radiator guard are not to expensive and are worth it if you want to keep the bike looking good.

You can powder coat the wheels for sure OR look for a set of silver wheels that were standard before 2012.  Might even find someone to trade wheels with
as some people like the black wheels - but I'm like you and personally don't care for them as well - I have the silver wheels on my 2011.

We always like pictures of bikes so if you get a chance post a picture of your new toy.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:40:33 PM »
Welcome.  I'd go back to the dealer immediately if this is a bike that has never left the dealership.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Mage

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 08:27:02 PM »
was going to upload a pic but i c it won't do that and i have no web hosting available :(

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 10:21:36 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mage!!! :chugbeer:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours