Author Topic: Ohio riders Epic ride.  (Read 9580 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Ohio riders Epic ride.
« on: May 05, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »
Had 75 of us show up yesterday, split groups up in various speeds, comfort levels and experience. I led a slow group "and it grew as the day went on", we were very much slow the first half of route and I was about to fall asleep, but the 2nd half was much better. There was only to be between 10 and 15 per group, but I ended up with around 30 at one point. I tried to mix up the speeds depending on what I saw behind me, I stressed to the #2 and 3 riders that they set the pace for the rest of group. When this vid was shot I was starting to get a bit antsy and wanted to speed up the pace a bit, the twisty bits on this road were not shot but I think you get the point that I was wanting to get on down the road. The shoulder felt pretty good all things considered, NOBODY in my groups went down, bit 3 riders went down in 2 other groups.  ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LbTBc4mnuPc
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:47:33 PM by Pokey »
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: Ohio riders Epic ride.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 06:09:43 PM »
Very cool Poke. Hope the downed riders are OK. Any post crash analysis?

Offline wroman

• 2012 C14
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:38:15 PM »
  Grew up in Warren and lived in Youngstown for awhile before moving east.  I miss riding in Ohio. There is something about the lack of crowded backroads that I miss.  Also miss riding the ruler straight roads going up near the lake that is so relaxing.  Thanks for the video!
Walt
I always wanted to be somebody......I guess I should have been more specific.

Offline koval68

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 09:05:32 PM »
Hopefully, you'll be leading group of Canadians later this season.....has the date been set yet for your famous "Buckeye Bash"? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the stars to line up for us!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 09:18:00 PM »
Sounds like good time Poke!  :chugbeer:

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 09:38:15 PM »
Hopefully, you'll be leading group of Canadians later this season.....has the date been set yet for your famous "Buckeye Bash"? I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the stars to line up for us!

You betcha Tom, and you had better be there this year!!!  :thumbs:  Aug 30th on Friday it begins, Saturday we go have some fun!!! I will post something up on here as time gets closer, I already think after yesterday that I might be drawing a good crowd from Ohioriders.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
Very cool Poke. Hope the downed riders are OK. Any post crash analysis?

2 of the 3 are fine and their bikes are gonna be ok after a bit of tlc and money spent. But the worst crash involved a broken collarbone and it seems he is having surgery too. I am at a loss of how or why he wrecked, it was not a bad curve at all. This guy was a pretty experienced rider from what I hear too.

Ohio Riders Epic Ride - May 4 2103
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:47:55 AM »
Damn, right off the road.  :o

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »
You got mail Pokey.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Shawzy

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 08:22:02 PM »
Taking a friend down to southern Ohio in September to explore - our first time in the state, really pumped as I have always heard great things about the area.  May use Marietta as home base and do loops out from there.  Question to those in the know: What are road conditions like on average?  Loaded question perhaps but any feedback appreciated.  Video clip above looks great, tarmac wise.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
Great video and ride. Very few cars in your way...a goood day!   JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2013, 12:58:38 AM »

2 of the 3 are fine and their bikes are gonna be ok after a bit of tlc and money spent. But the worst crash involved a broken collarbone and it seems he is having surgery too. I am at a loss of how or why he wrecked, it was not a bad curve at all. This guy was a pretty experienced rider from what I hear too.

Ohio Riders Epic Ride - May 4 2103

Looks like he went into the corner a bit hot and then instead of trail braking and counter steering and leaning over more he hit the brakes and stood the bike up which caused him to go straight off the road... where he was probably looking.

Offline tjpgi

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2013, 10:23:42 AM »
Taking a friend down to southern Ohio in September to explore - our first time in the state, really pumped as I have always heard great things about the area.  May use Marietta as home base and do loops out from there.  Question to those in the know: What are road conditions like on average?  Loaded question perhaps but any feedback appreciated.  Video clip above looks great, tarmac wise.

Check this web site out if you have not already done so. Click on Ohio and the area that you plan to ride. Many folks have left their comments on a variety of the roads and conditions. South of Columbus in the Hocking Hills area is some of the smoothest asphalt with twisties and sweepers that you will enjoy. There is great riding in all directions from Marietta. Good luck.

http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
2011 GSXR 1000
2009 Concours ABS
1976 KZ900
1991 Sportster XLH 1200

Offline billhook

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 08:40:11 PM »
From Marietta, just about anything East of 77 and south of 70, including 26, 260, 800, 255 536 (Ohio's Dragon), 556, and cross the river and just about anything in WV is awesome, including 16, 47, 74, 33, 18, 20, 14, 5.  West of 77, hit 676, 550, 555, 370, 78, 669.  If you make it all the way over to Hocking Hills, 56, Chapel Ridge Rd., Big Pine Rd., Thompson Ridge Rd., Jack Run, Buena Vista (most of the SRs are packed with tourists and I use them to get from one named road to another).

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 05:35:10 AM »
Looks like he went into the corner a bit hot and then instead of trail braking and counter steering and leaning over more he hit the brakes and stood the bike up which caused him to go straight off the road... where he was probably looking.

Didn't look like he was going too fast to me.  He never leaned the bike over.  Just rode it straight off the roadway.  BTW:  Trail Braking starts before entering the curve to compress the suspension to help with turn in.  Not while already in the curve.  He need more throttle and a commitment to lean the bike over.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »

If you are working out of Marietta you should include 78 going west through McConnellsville to Nelsonville then on west to 56. There are other places to stay. Working out of Lake Hope State Park is nice. Cabins have a screen back porch, living room and 2 bedrooms. Burr Oak is also a good place to for motorcyclists. Nice article to use http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/march-april-2012/page/68/ if you are planning . Let me know when you are over that way....I just may have to spend the weekend at the girlfriends house in Lancaster and join up for a ride. BTW 555 was a wreck when we were on it last fall . Fresh CHip seal the whole ride made it miserable. 78, 56 and 93 south of jackson are much more fun.
2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2013, 10:35:47 PM »

If you are working out of Marietta you should include 78 going west through McConnellsville to Nelsonville then on west to 56. There are other places to stay. Working out of Lake Hope State Park is nice. Cabins have a screen back porch, living room and 2 bedrooms. Burr Oak is also a good place to for motorcyclists. Nice article to use http://www.roadrunner.travel/magazine/read/march-april-2012/page/68/ if you are planning . Let me know when you are over that way....I just may have to spend the weekend at the girlfriends house in Lancaster and join up for a ride. BTW 555 was a wreck when we were on it last fall . Fresh CHip seal the whole ride made it miserable. 78, 56 and 93 south of jackson are much more fun.

Some good advice given, and yes stay off 555 for many reasons. Rode one of my favorite routes on Memorial day, Eastern and NE OH has some great roads!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline freebird6

• In a big country...
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 07:32:03 PM »

You betcha Tom, and you had better be there this year!!!  :thumbs:  Aug 30th on Friday it begins, Saturday we go have some fun!!! I will post something up on here as time gets closer, I already think after yesterday that I might be drawing a good crowd from Ohioriders.
any updates?

2008 Concours
2007 Mean Streak
99 r1100rt

Offline Pokey

• Arena
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 04:59:52 AM »
Didn't look like he was going too fast to me.  He never leaned the bike over.  Just rode it straight off the roadway.  BTW:  Trail Braking starts before entering the curve to compress the suspension to help with turn in.  Not while already in the curve.  He need more throttle and a commitment to lean the bike over.

+1 I can't imagine what he was doing there. Maybe he fell asleep?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn