Author Topic: Helmet locks  (Read 23697 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Helmet locks
« on: May 14, 2011, 09:16:45 AM »
One thing I really miss about my ZRX is having a real helmet lock. 

Anyway, I searched the pre-forum-crash stuff and mostly found people either using a license plate mounted lock or some home-brew solution.  But I just found this online today:

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?products_id=163

Seems like exactly what I have been looking for (well, except that I doubt they can be keyed to the bike key)- strong, simple, nice looking, convenient, not in the way.  I sent them an Email asking about how exactly they are mounted and what they are compatible with, since it is unclear on the site.  Has anyone purchased/tried this model yet?  Do you know of anything else similar?  Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 12:11:35 PM by maxtog »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline JoeR

• COG 9284 / AMA 668669
Re: Helmet locks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:23:36 AM »
Looks pretty good, I use a cable lock.

Offline AKwhite

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »
Seems like exactly what I have been looking for (well, except that I doubt they can be keyed to the bike key)- strong, simple, nice looking, convenient, not in the way.  I sent them an Email asking about how exactly they are mounted and what they are compatible with, since it is unclear on the site.  Has anyone purchased/tried this model yet?  Do you know of anything else similar?  Thanks.

I'm using that Projekt d lock, it installed in minutes, goes under the luggage rack and came with the full hardware kit of bolts and washers.

If you don;t lock a helmet you won't even notice it's there, for all you know the bike came factory with these locks.

The wife is happy too with this farkle, when making a stop we can now leave the helmets on the bike safely and she doesn't need to carry it around anymore  :chugbeer:

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:52:35 AM »
I'm using that Projekt d lock, it installed in minutes, goes under the luggage rack and came with the full hardware kit of bolts and washers.

If you don;t lock a helmet you won't even notice it's there, for all you know the bike came factory with these locks.

The wife is happy too with this farkle, when making a stop we can now leave the helmets on the bike safely and she doesn't need to carry it around anymore  :chugbeer:

I don't mind carrying my helmet around. Makes a great shopping basket . . .  ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:00:04 AM »

How did it attach?  (I don't know why they don't have pictures of the uninstalled unit or instructions on the site)  Do you remove the stock rack and sandwich it under and put them back or something??

Yeah, they look practically OEM, which is why they are so attractive...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 11:12:14 AM »
Looks like it attached to the bottom of whatever rack you're using.  They say it attaches to the 'standard luggage rack' as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 06:38:08 PM »
The Projektd double lock was one of the first farkles I bought, and I, who has to use duct tape to fix anything, installed it in minutes, that's how easy it was.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:08:31 AM »
Tada!  They Emailed me the manual and, yep, it looks like a piece of cake.  I attached the one-page PDF to this message in case anyone else finds it useful.  I think I am going to buy it now...

Offline stuckinohio

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 10:02:53 AM »
I assume you have seen the posts  of people using a used set of helmet locks from a C-10 or other bike.  You can buy the locks from e-bay pretty cheap.  Heres mine:

Offline RadarTF

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:08:15 PM »
The project D one installs easy, and they work fine.  You just have another key to haul around.  For me its bike key, key for the lock on the front rotor, and now a helmet lock key.   ;D

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:51:59 PM »
I also have the helmet locks with their large luggage rack and backrest.  its the best looking coolest system i have found, i highly recommend it.  Its stylish and my wife loves it.   the bike is made in japan and imho all the american made backrests(sissybars) look like they belong on a harley.   this one is smokin!

bob

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
The cheapest: CABLE GUN LOCKS, you can get them for FREE from your POLICE DEPARTMENT....if you have to...or most GUN SHOPS!!!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 02:31:23 PM »
The cheapest: CABLE GUN LOCKS, you can get them for FREE from your POLICE DEPARTMENT....if you have to...or most GUN SHOPS!!!

Yep- I have two of those things.  I used to use them on my ZRX to lock the zippers of my Ventura bags to the opposite carry handles.

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 02:35:11 PM »
Yep- I have two of those things.  I used to use them on my ZRX to lock the zippers of my Ventura bags to the opposite carry handles.

+1 and a plus is the extreme COOL factor when your helmet is held to your bike with a gun lock sporting logo like Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Magnum Research, pick your poison.

Now, if you are a blooming liberal, you could always paint over it in pink.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:17:21 PM »
+1 and a plus is the extreme COOL factor when your helmet is held to your bike with a gun lock sporting logo like Glock, Beretta, Smith & Wesson, Magnum Research, pick your poison.

Mine are from my cheap gun- the Taurus, so there is no logo... just plain red  ;)

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 06:16:43 PM »
Hehe, better than pink, I guess... 8)

Offline Sea Level

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 06:22:56 PM »
Mine are from my cheap gun- the Taurus, so there is no logo... just plain red  ;)

I like Taurus. Recently bought a little .22 at a gun show which turned out to be inoperative. Even though the gun had clearly been around the block several times, they fixed it for free, had it back to me within two weeks, and gave it a good cleaning and oiling while they had it. That's a great warranty and customer service!

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 06:24:42 PM »
That's better than Browning's servicing...

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2011, 10:00:41 AM »
There's a stupid thing under the seat??  :-[
I feel like a new person!

Offline GMan

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2011, 04:33:12 PM »
+1 on having-and liking-the Projekt D.  Very easy install, very easy to use.  I attached the key to my fob.