Author Topic: Cyclist's on the Blue Ridge Parkway.............  (Read 5315 times)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Cyclist's on the Blue Ridge Parkway.............
« on: May 31, 2011, 02:30:17 PM »
have no business being there IMHO. They make it "very dangerous" for motorcyclists especially, we tend to hit the blind curves pretty quickly, and many of the tunnels are extremely hard to see in to begin with. I had my fair share of almost creaming a few, and I think it is very unfair for the rest of us. The cyclists are putting our lives and their lives in danger by just being there. There needs to be a few rules that need to be created/enforced by the Rangers "my opinion of course".

1. HIGH VIZ CLOTHING ISN'T AN OPTION
2. FLASHING/STROBING RED REAR LIGHT "NOT AN OPTION"
3. A RIDING CURFEW OF LETS SAY 8-11 am "NOT AN OPTION"

Just a few of my humble suggestions, and I could care less if anybody disagrees with me or not.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline sas mayhem

Re: Cyclist's on the Blue Ridge Parkway.............
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 03:05:35 PM »
Hi Pokey, are you referring to "bicyclist ??

Cheers
Ron
09 Connie
...try to live a day without doing one of the 5 D’s....Deny, Defer, Deflect, Discount and Deceit...tougher than it sounds....

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 03:07:05 PM »
I totally agree, but we may get a few differing opinions, I see though that you COULDN'T care less. ;D
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 03:09:25 PM »
Hi Pokey, are you referring to "bicyclist ??

Cheers
Ron

Sure, they are similar I reckon.....................    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 03:10:52 PM »
I totally agree, but we may get a few differing opinions, I see though that you COULDN'T care less. ;D

Only "couldn't care less" if somebody doesn't agree with me. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:05:00 PM »
I told you so.... ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 05:20:55 PM »
I think I understand what you're saying but I'm sure the cagers would like many restrictions for motorcyclists too.
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
I think I understand what you're saying but I'm sure the cagers would like many restrictions for motorcyclists too.

Like most of the non Harley riders that actually exceed 40 mph? The only times I ever "pretty much" used my brakes was when I stopped, or after I blew by slow cages or Hog riders that were putting along. The BRP is a motorcyclists dream, cars and bicycles are just a nuisance. :banghead:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
I told you so.... ;)

Nah.....you just reminded me is all. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 05:47:25 PM »
I saw ALLOT of C14's on the parkway, just goes to show how awesome a bike it is!!!!!! :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline koval68

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2011, 09:38:13 PM »
Only "couldn't care less" if somebody doesn't agree with me. ;)
Wow! Sorry Brian, some good points but have to disagree with you on that one. But you and I both know that you're totally unreasonable.  ;D ;)
How was your trip? (besides all those pesky and annoying cyclists)
Did you swear a lot??? :rotflmao:

I'm glad you're back in one piece.............I kinda missed you. ;) ;D
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 04:40:46 AM »
I didn't miss him....I missed his avatar, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2011, 07:21:41 AM »
I'm sure the forum has been kinda blah without me here, and I too am glad my avatar is working now.........."thanks Jim and Rick"! :hail:

I just gotta comment on my Baldwin saddle, that saddle is worth every penny. My rear end never felt so good after a big trip.

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 07:54:35 AM »
Intriguing. So motorhomes and buses are ok, but bicycles are not? Personally I'd rather zing by a bicycle without having to change lanes than chug behind a motorhome for a while waiting for a place to pass.

Confession: I'm also a bicyclist just back from a week bicycling the Dordogne. Was treated very well by other drivers, 2 wheels or 4.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »
Like most of the non Harley riders that actually exceed 40 mph? The only times I ever "pretty much" used my brakes was when I stopped, or after I blew by slow cages or Hog riders that were putting along. The BRP is a motorcyclists dream, cars and bicycles are just a nuisance. :banghead:

Yep, that 'freedom' thing can sure be inconvenient at times...  :P

Somehow I doubt you would want the same restrictions you desire for others, placed on you... 
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:04 AM »
Intriguing. So motorhomes and buses are ok, but bicycles are not? Personally I'd rather zing by a bicycle without having to change lanes than chug behind a motorhome for a while waiting for a place to pass.

Confession: I'm also a bicyclist just back from a week bicycling the Dordogne. Was treated very well by other drivers, 2 wheels or 4.

Kind of hard to miss a motorhome or bus that is in front of you or in a tunnel, cyclists however are not easy to see at many times. Many of the cyclists are also taking up allot of the lane, which makes it difficult "for cars" to pass by them.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
Yep, that 'freedom' thing can sure be inconvenient at times...  :P

Somehow I doubt you would want the same restrictions you desire for others, placed on you...

Yes it most certainly can be. :P
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2011, 10:08:09 AM »
If they stay single file and stay to the right I have no problem with 'cyclists'.   But on the BRP, when they are in a group, they like to ride side by side (not all but a significant number do).  The problem with the parkway, unless you can see through the apex, there's always the possibility of something being around the corner so typically the group I ride with (Between the Sheetz gang), rides during the week instead of weekends and holidays.  Less stressful that way and we have few issues with 'cyclists', motor homes, sight seeing cages, cruisers, and rangers (have had a few flash their lights at me...I wonder why?).

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2011, 12:59:43 PM »
If they stay single file and stay to the right I have no problem with 'cyclists'.   But on the BRP, when they are in a group, they like to ride side by side (not all but a significant number do).  The problem with the parkway, unless you can see through the apex, there's always the possibility of something being around the corner so typically the group I ride with (Between the Sheetz gang), rides during the week instead of weekends and holidays.  Less stressful that way and we have few issues with 'cyclists', motor homes, sight seeing cages, cruisers, and rangers (have had a few flash their lights at me...I wonder why?).

Yup I agree 100 percent with you, and last time I ride the BRP during the week and it was awesome. Doing it on Memorial weekend hasn't been my best idea I must admit, but that was when my buddy could take off work. Only saw 3 rangers the entire trip, and they were all busy giving out tickets. 8)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"