Author Topic: Thank you NOAA weather radio  (Read 4494 times)

Offline MizzouMike

• Arena
  • How do you remove the rain magnet on this thing?
Thank you NOAA weather radio
« on: May 21, 2011, 06:39:12 PM »
I was 25 miles from home on the motorcycle and was contemplating the 'back way home'  Everything looked good, but decided to check the NOAA weather on the J&M.   Well I caught it just in time to hear that there was BASEBALL sized hail along my planned route.  There were pingpong ball sized hail to the south.  Luckily I threaded the needle and made it home about 10 minutes before it hit...

Plan B would have to been to shelter in place under bank and/or gas station canopy.  I have been caught in the hail before, but nothing larger than pea sized...

My wife was on the back, and providing lots of 'advise' as to my descision to ride this evening  ;)
NEKansas  AMA#273766, COG#8862, IBA#44917
2000 Concours 2001 KLR, 2013 HD Ultra Classic

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
Re: Thank you NOAA weather radio
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Yep....
I go NO Where without my Radio Shack Weather Scanner Radio.
It doesn't matter where, when, or how, it just scans until it finds the most local signal and there it is. And the batts are rechargable, now how frickin easy is that?
It is a recommended acc. for any biker, IMHO.
Be safe all.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 07:36:43 AM »
Yep....
I go NO Where without my Radio Shack Weather Scanner Radio.
It doesn't matter where, when, or how, it just scans until it finds the most local signal and there it is. And the batts are rechargable, now how frickin easy is that?
It is a recommended acc. for any biker, IMHO.
Be safe all.
Greg

Hey Greg, I've been wanting to buy something like that. What model is that you have?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2011, 12:29:29 PM »
I usually check aviation weather enroute on my Iphone when I do a long ride.  Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAF's) are the most specific and accurate reports that are available for specific airports and weather reporting locations.  You can look them up for free on airnav.com or a host of other sites.  You have to know how to decode them but it's easy once you learn how.

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2011, 06:28:53 PM »
Conrad,
I will get back with you on that. The wife went into work earlier today and took it with her, and she didn't bring it home. So I will get it and give you the low down.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2011, 08:39:20 PM »
I usually check aviation weather enroute on my Iphone when I do a long ride.  Terminal Aerodrome Forecasts (TAF's) are the most specific and accurate reports that are available for specific airports and weather reporting locations.  You can look them up for free on airnav.com or a host of other sites.  You have to know how to decode them but it's easy once you learn how.

I think most people will get a better outlook on the weather at www.noaa.gov. Simply go to the site, type in a city/state and you get simple forcast descriptions, radar and satelite. Click on the Hourly Weather Graph option and you see serveral days of all the important statistics on a rolling graph. It is in plain english and has lots of useful graphics, particularly the current radar pages.

One thing I do use to get right-now, right-here data is the AWOS (Automated Weather Observing Station) data over the phone. A link to the phone numbers is http://www.airportview.net/awos.php. You still need to know the format and some of the secret coding, but nothing is better at letting you know exactely what is happening in real time. I ride in Colorado and the ones over the mountain passes are great since the weather can be way different at 12,000' than in the valley below. (When I am flying i actually find it easier to use the phone rather than tuning the NAV. All the stations are entered into my contacts list.)

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 05:57:43 AM »
Conrad,
Well we finally got the power back on from the storms last night, and here is the info on the Weather Radio.
Radio Shack  "Public Alert" Handheld SAME Weatheradio   Cat. No: 12-259
I use Alkaline AA batts when I travel, they will let the unit stay on and scanning for 21 to 25 days before powering down. The re=chargable are fine , but do not have the run time like the alkalines. You can leave the unit plugged in all the time at home with either batts in it, and it displays power level on the LCD face.
There you go, a very nice portable radio for travel and home.
Ride safe all.
Greg

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 06:06:14 AM »
Thanks for the info Greg. It looks like RS has discontinued that model. Does this one look similar to the model you have?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506942&filterName=Radio+type&filterValue=Handheld

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pfloydgad

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 06:13:01 AM »
Yep, same one, just mine is ugly Gray.
Greg

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2011, 07:28:36 AM »
severe risk for severe weather again this evening. We should meet somewhere and do some storm chasing! on the bikes of course.

Offline Stasch

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2011, 07:46:55 AM »
I've done some 'storm chasing' on the bike, but the other way around, not as fun as it might sound!  It does make for interesting stories though.

Survived 100 mph shear winds.  Had now idea that what looked like a thunderstorm in the distance was coming at us at 100 mph.  We were doing 70 - 75 and the thing caught up to us.  Confimed on the news the speed of the thing, and that 6 people died in the storm as it swept across our state.

This was after 3 days out on the road with no TV or media, so hadn't heard any forecasts.

I now have a weather radio along with me plugged in through the AutoCom for alerts and to check forecasts for the area I am in.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Timalan

• www.thismotorcyclelife.net
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2011, 08:23:43 AM »
I've done some 'storm chasing' on the bike, but the other way around, not as fun as it might sound!  It does make for interesting stories though.

Survived 100 mph shear winds.  Had now idea that what looked like a thunderstorm in the distance was coming at us at 100 mph.  We were doing 70 - 75 and the thing caught up to us.  Confimed on the news the speed of the thing, and that 6 people died in the storm as it swept across our state.

This was after 3 days out on the road with no TV or media, so hadn't heard any forecasts.

I now have a weather radio along with me plugged in through the AutoCom for alerts and to check forecasts for the area I am in.
Yep, If you travel at all. chances are you have been out in it!

Offline MiloMorai

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2011, 11:38:36 AM »
Why I always have a good book with me just in case.  That and a flashlight  8)

Offline kawamark

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 08:31:24 PM »
Could be worse.

http://www.5newsonline.com/news/sns-ap-midwest-severe-weather-chickasha,0,7581987.story

Motorcyclist trying to beat storm home is caught by tornado, suffers cuts and bruises to back

By Associated Press

8:42 a.m. CDT, May 25, 2011
CHICKASHA, Okla. (AP) — A Chickasha man who says he was trying to beat a storm home says he was caught by a tornado that took him off his motorcycle and dragged him 15 to 20 feet across a lawn and pavement.

Twenty-seven-year-old Dan Henson said Wednesday that he suffered cuts and bruises to his back when the tornado caught him as he arrived home Tuesday. Henson said he was aware of the storm, but didn't realize there was a tornado until it hit him.

Henson's home was heavily damaged and the roof of a car wash across the street was ripped off and wrapped around a moving van at the car wash.

:yikes:
Mark L. Johnson

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2011, 06:35:06 AM »
Nice timing Radio Shack. I just got a $10 coupon in my email this morning. I guess I'm gonna stop in a get that lil weather radio. I have one at home but it's not portable.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2011, 07:15:17 AM »
I have several weather radios.  They are handy to have.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2011, 07:23:40 AM »
I have several weather radios.  They are handy to have.

Same here, especially lately. I have one in the house and one in the camper, gotta get one for the bike now. Just in case...

Offline Stasch

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 12:39:16 PM »
I use Motorola T9500XLR GMRS/FRS 2 way radio that includes NOAA weather.  Multiple purpose unit that allows bike to bike, through the Autocom.

Found it on Ebay (used) for 2 radios and charger - ~$40.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2011, 12:50:59 PM »
We have a weather radio that we turn on if it starts looking bad, but whats the point if we already know its looking bad. Plus, it starts to sound alarm every time a new warning is issued, so that means its going off every 2 minutes, annoying, we turn it off and turn on the local TV channel that has Doppler radar if we need to know if somethings headed our way. If we are away from home, well, we use the old fashioned way.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline Conrad

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2011, 08:41:17 AM »
Thanks for the info Greg. It looks like RS has discontinued that model. Does this one look similar to the model you have?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3506942&filterName=Radio+type&filterValue=Handheld

Good timing, I had a $10 coupon from Radio Shack plus the weather radio was on sale for $10 off. I had to order it since they didn't have one in stock.