Author Topic: New Models to Debut at AIMEXPO  (Read 7957 times)

Offline MtnRider

Re: New Models to Debut at AIMEXPO
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2018, 06:27:30 PM »
A '16 should be almost identical to a '17 (I think), the major redesign happened in '18. Page 460 of my manual says to press the "interval" button for one second to switch from ACC  to standard cruise control. The interval button is the right side of d-pad with set and resume functions just to the right of the center cancel button. The symbol is a car with some lines behind it. The dash display will change from "ACC" to "CRUISE MODE". Press the button again for one second and it goes back to ACC. I think the setting is persistent when restarting the car but I don't use the cruise much as I'm not on an open highway much so not 100% sure on that.

Just tapping that button changes between the 4 ACC car spacing interval settings; short, medium, long & extra long.

Leo
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 08:57:05 AM by MtnRider »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2018, 08:18:06 PM »
Thanks! I’ll check it out. Mine is a 2016. I could be wrong, but I don’t think it can be turned off. I asked at the dealership and was told it couldn’t be. I’ll check my manual again to see it there is anything in it.

On my G37S, it requires holding the "on" button for like a ridiculous 3 seconds to change modes (adaptive off, short range, medium range, long range).  Otherwise (just pressing it normally/quickly), it defaults to all the laser-guided adaptive stuff "on" and at long range (which is REALLY long).  And it is not sticky, so it has to be done every single time.  Quite annoying.  But at least it is an option.  I would be surprised if you didn't have some type of "off".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2018, 06:56:45 AM »
geez, talk about distracted driving....I wonder how we lived so long without all these geefaws and gadgets?

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2018, 02:52:55 PM »
geez, talk about distracted driving....I wonder how we lived so long without all these geefaws and gadgets?

Don't you realize, we weren't "living"! Were were just "existing"...   :stirpot: :rotflmao:

Real telephone operators, rotary phones, party lines! Oh the humanity!   :o ;D
Now that I've helped totally derail this thread.... :offtopic:

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2018, 06:16:47 PM »
Hijack alert: Poseidon,

I have a 2017 Accord Hybrid Touring and can turn off the ACC. The manual has a long list of when to not use it. I doubt that would have changed that much prior to or after the '17 model year. Here's a link to the '17 owners manual, go to page 449 for the ACC info. http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/AT2A1717OM/enu/AT2A1717OM.PDF

Leo

This was the best hijack ever!!!

Thank you for the info! It worked! Pushed and held the button that adjusts the following distance and it switched over to “Cruise Mode”. Now my cruise control works correctly and doesn’t try to kill me! Lol

I can’t believe I didn’t see that section of the manual as many times as I’ve looked for a way to disable the adaptive part. I also can’t believe the service guys didn’t know how to do it when I asked.

Thanks again!
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
This was the best hijack ever!!!

Thank you for the info! It worked! Pushed and held the button that adjusts the following distance and it switched over to “Cruise Mode”. Now my cruise control works correctly and doesn’t try to kill me! Lol

I can’t believe I didn’t see that section of the manual as many times as I’ve looked for a way to disable the adaptive part. I also can’t believe the service guys didn’t know how to do it when I asked.

Thanks again!
 :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana :banana
Fify
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline MtnRider

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2018, 07:02:34 PM »
You're welcome. Glad it worked for you.   :D

Offline Poseidon

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2018, 08:18:29 PM »
If anyone is interested, Kawasaki released the 2019 lineup today. There is a 2019 Concours. Looks like a new combination of the same colors they have used in the past with no other updates mentioned.

Here is a link to the full lineup for 2019.

https://m.kawasaki.com/experience/newfeaturedvehicles
2017 Concours 14
2016 Victory Magnum
2013 M109R
2016 Can Am Spyder F3T - Wife's bike

Offline katata1100

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2018, 09:07:06 PM »
Not sure I like the paint scheme for the ‘19, id have to see in person .
But that 900 retro green cafe bike is gorgeous !

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2018, 09:17:05 PM »
Yay! I guess it will hang in there another year (along with the ZX14)!

LOL- it looks like they took the 2018, painted it to match the 2011 Atomic Silver but without the gloss, and swapped in a black gas tank and front partial fairing, then threw in the 2017/2018 green pinstripe.  Me thinks someone was torn between black and silver!  I am guessing nothing changed but color.  I can't say I like that color combination, but I don't hate it either.

https://www.kawasaki.com/products/2019-Concours-14-ABS?cm_re=MPP-_-PRODUCTTRIMLIST-_-VEHICLEDETAILS

So this gives them even more time to contemplate the creation of the next-generation Concours (while the non-North-Americans continue to lament the passing of the C14).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Rubber_Snake

• Arena
  • 2009 GTR1400 ABS, Black
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2018, 08:03:46 AM »
I guess you’ll love that color combo if you’re a Raiders fan.  Looks like they had a choice of two colors, couldn’t decide and said “F*ck it.  Let’s do both.”  Not much of a choice for a new customer.  Bring back the green monster! 
2009 GTR 1400 ABS, 48k miles, AMSOIL synthetic 10W-40 (since new), AMSOIL synthetic 75W-90 final drive (since new). Helibar Horizons, Oxford heated grips, V-Stream windscreen, Mountain Runner Flash, Brian’s low fuel eliminator farkle, ST2 smart brake module and smart turn system, Two Brothers Black Series M5 w/P1X decibel killer.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2018, 08:11:46 AM »
That dark strip on the fairing that says “Kawasaki” looks like a carbon fiber decal-yuck.It’s the cheesiest sticker put on bike since the days when Honda would put a chrome sticker on the night hawk.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2018, 12:44:41 PM »
Looks like they had a choice of two colors, couldn’t decide and said “F*ck it.  Let’s do both.” 

More likely they are assembling 2019s with excess spare parts and went with those parts pre-painted that they had the most of on hand. They probably made too many spare parts and when sales were lower than expected, their bean counting algorithm said they needed to dump some into the production run.

That dark strip on the fairing that says “Kawasaki” looks like a carbon fiber decal-yuck. It’s the cheesiest sticker put on bike....

I hope it comes off as easy as the old one did, and doesn't ruin the paint underneath it when it does.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2018, 02:18:36 PM »
More likely they are assembling 2019s with excess spare parts and went with those parts pre-painted that they had the most of on hand. They probably made too many spare parts and when sales were lower than expected, their bean counting algorithm said they needed to dump some into the production run.

I hate to agree (because it does sound cheesy), but you are probably right.  I was thinking the same thing- parts grab bag :)

I hope it comes off as easy as the old one did, and doesn't ruin the paint underneath it when it does.

I can't tell if it is a sticker, but it probably is.  Normally, the "Kawasaki" logo is a high-quality, silver, raised lettering... which I like a lot.  But if that really is just a printed sticker.... eeeeew.... I would remove it, hoping the paint under it was in good condition and then just buy the correct "Kawasaki" letters and put it on there.

What is with making the silver "matte", anyway... another poor choice if you ask me.  Matte paint not only doesn't look good, it is much harder to keep clean, and has FAR less stain resistance.  I would look at it and say "what, did someone forget the clear coat?"

Not much of a choice for a new customer.  Bring back the green monster! 

In fairness, we never had much of a choice.  On the years they offered two colors so there was a "choice", the other color was always black.  Lots of people (including me) detest black.  It is hard to see (safety), impossible to keep clean, shows every little scuff and flaw, and is hot as hell in the sun.  The only thing worse than black is MATTE BLACK.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2018, 03:34:36 PM »
Yeah, Kawasaki has been there, done that. They stopped manufacturing KZ1300's somewhere around 1983 but continued to "make" and sell new models through 1987. The later bikes were just assembled from parts already manufactured. The bike (the 1300) was a poor selling bike and Kawasaki seems to have made a lot of them with high expectations.

As an aside, I also thought it was going to be a big seller- one of the very few in-line six cylinder motorcycles ever made. It did have some teething problems but nothing fundamental and most or all the problems were addressed in the last [non- US] model years sold. The other thing was that it was introduced as a direct competitor to Honda's GoldWing (a 4 cylinder, 1000cc bike back then) and while the Honda sold, the Kawasaki did not. Go figure.....

I really do hope the C-14 does not disappear from the lineup for the next few years though.

Brian

<snip>

Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2018, 08:01:34 PM »
I really do hope the C-14 does not disappear from the lineup for the next few years though.

Me neither, at least not until a suitable and compelling replacement Concours is created.

Offline PlaynInPeoria

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2018, 06:51:53 AM »
Well, it isn't expensive (actually costs zero) and there are no parts and nothing to break.  It is nothing but having more maps to select from.  I can see how it could be useful.  For example, one set of maps (think "Flash") could be with aggressive engine breaking, and another with normal, and another with little.

Ride by wire (electronic throttle) would instantly add cruise control (at zero cost),

Unless it were designed correctly, so the "adaptive" part  could be turned off, so it is normal cruise control, like I can on my G37S (which has adaptive as an optional function).  I have no problem with optional things (modes, settings, etc), as long as I can retain control over them (and control that preferably is "sticky" (persistent) )

Nothing costs zero. I work in embedded software development (what all these ride modes and cruise control stuff is). It's crazy expensive. You need to do a lot of R&D, come up with a plan, write a spec, write the software, test the software, manage all those people, all of which are highly paid.  Zero could not be farther than the truth.  These are what would be Fortune 500 companies in the US.  They probably have hardware in the loop test benches and all the developers have at least one ECU and wiring harness and power supply on their desk and need to vary all the inputs (signals like temp, coolant temp, intake manifold air pressure  etc etc).   My test bench costs about $80,000 for the hardware alone, then you have to make the wiring harness and that is days of engineering time.   A typical developer where I work makes 100k and managers make 160k. Testers make from 55k to 90k So, zero cost?   Nope. 

Plus it's a competitive market.  If you have the skillset to do that and your company isn't paying you enough, GM or an Aerospace outfit or Tesla or (fill in the blank) will gladly hire you, so the competition drives up wages.  We had a guy with 10 years experience in autonomous vehicles leave for Silicon Valley, a guy left for Amazon.  My riding buddy is a manager and his bonus gross was 100k, he makes 160k. 

And if you make a cruise control feature and it fails?  Lawsuits out the ass.  So you test it and test it and then test it some more.  Oh, add in patents and IP lawyers and all the IT stuff it takes to run all that?   We have 3000 engineers under one roof.  My boss's boss's boss's budget is $120,000,000.  So sure, there's LOTS of zeroes there I guess?
2012 "root beer" C14 - unlinked brakes, reflash, LED headlights, Walmart orange city lights, LOUD horn, Laam seat, radar detector for ahem, reasons.
2013 Aprilia Tuono, 2009 CRF-150F

Offline PH14

« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2018, 01:01:26 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This. So very true.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2018, 03:11:13 PM »
Nothing costs zero. I work in embedded software development (what all these ride modes and cruise control stuff is). It's crazy expensive.

I have been working in software and system development for 30+ years, so I know what you are saying, but let me clarify further...

First, I wasn't talking about ride control as in suspension.  I was talking about just cruise and maps.  You are correct I should have said "essentially zero" or perhaps "very little" ... my bad :)  Although there is little to no hardware cost, there is R&D/testing, but that is very minimal for cruise control on an already throttle-by-wire design (which itself WILL take a lot of development, but that is a change already being made), and also very minimal for a multi-map system (of which the Concours already is/has; so adding perhaps 2 or three more maps on a new ECU that will already have at least two is not that big a whoop).  So yes, although there is some cost, what cost there would be is then spread over a million production units over several or more years, meaning something like a few or several dollars per bike.

I can't speak much to liability costs, that is outside my experience.  Mappings- I think that is probably not much of an issue.  Cruise, well, that is SO well-known now and not rocket science.... and probably already done on other models, anyway.  Active suspension?  I have no clue.... but I wasn't addressing that (just in case you were, and I am not saying you were).

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2018, 03:51:33 PM »
Ah, see, there you go, clogging a lot of "I wants" up with reality, which is never received well by the public.  ;D

Adding C.C. to the C-14 as currently available would be problematic and although absolutely doable, it would show up in the bottom- line cost to the consumer who seems invariably reluctant / resistant to paying for it.

But there is a solution: all the "I wants" can get together and devise  / design their own CC. (an similar) for the C-14 at a 'cut- rate' price, without the concerns for liability or other, outside, costs.

ROFLMAO

Brian

Nothing costs zero. I work in embedded software development (what all these ride modes and cruise control stuff is). It's crazy expensive. You need to do a lot of R&D, come up with a plan, write a spec, write the software, test the software, manage all those people, all of which are highly paid.  Zero could not be farther than the truth.  These are what would be Fortune 500 companies in the US.  They probably have hardware in the loop test benches and all the developers have at least one ECU and wiring harness and power supply on their desk and need to vary all the inputs (signals like temp, coolant temp, intake manifold air pressure  etc etc).   My test bench costs about $80,000 for the hardware alone, then you have to make the wiring harness and that is days of engineering time.   A typical developer where I work makes 100k and managers make 160k. Testers make from 55k to 90k So, zero cost?   Nope. 

Plus it's a competitive market.  If you have the skillset to do that and your company isn't paying you enough, GM or an Aerospace outfit or Tesla or (fill in the blank) will gladly hire you, so the competition drives up wages.  We had a guy with 10 years experience in autonomous vehicles leave for Silicon Valley, a guy left for Amazon.  My riding buddy is a manager and his bonus gross was 100k, he makes 160k. 

And if you make a cruise control feature and it fails?  Lawsuits out the ass.  So you test it and test it and then test it some more.  Oh, add in patents and IP lawyers and all the IT stuff it takes to run all that?   We have 3000 engineers under one roof.  My boss's boss's boss's budget is $120,000,000.  So sure, there's LOTS of zeroes there I guess?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com