Author Topic: I think I am dain bramaged  (Read 2427 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
I think I am dain bramaged
« on: December 22, 2011, 07:01:10 PM »
Today in the Pacific Northwest was a beautiful day, so since I had the day off I decided that I would take my Concours 14 out for a ride. I have not had the bike out for about 3 weeks and it was 28 degrees out, so I put on my leather pants then my leather boots then my motorcycle jacket (not leather) kissed the wife and headed out to the garage got the bike all turned around got into the saddle then put on my helmet and gloves then turned the key to the on position pulled in the clutch lever hit the starter button...and nothing. I assumed that since I had not started the bike in 3 weeks and that it is almost 2 years old and COLD that I had a dead battery. I took the battery out and hooked it to my rickle charger and it showed that the battery was almost fully charged. I re-installed the battery and hit the starter button again and still nothing...then I noticed that the kill switch was on...I have never used the kill switch, so it is not something I ever think about...I did take her out for about 2-1/2 hours and really enjoyed myself, but I felt incredibly STUPID for not noticing the kill switch earlier...I must have accidentally bumped it when turning the bike around...so you all can have a laugh at my expense.
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline tonedeaf

Re: I think I am dain bramaged
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 07:34:04 PM »
I have done the exact same thing.

I would be surprised if the is a single rider here with more than a few years of riding experience who has not done the same thing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 08:28:05 PM »
Indeed, I've done it before too!  :battle:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 09:42:34 PM »
Only us dain bramaged frugal connie owners would do such a thing ;)

Offline Laserjock

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2011, 10:51:24 PM »
I have done the exact same thing.

I would be surprised if the is a single rider here with more than a few years of riding experience who has not done the same thing.

I've never done that... Just sayin

=Laserjock=

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 05:57:42 AM »
D'oh!
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 06:03:57 AM »
I absolutely hate when that happens. :o
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Pfloydgad

• When I was a child, I caught a fleeting glimpse
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 07:49:40 AM »
Been there, done that. Not quite to the extreme as pulling the batt., but close.
 The C10 has an easier access batt.
But if you want to have some fun, the next time your riding with some friends.
 Hit a few kill switches while they are parked, and watch the carnage.  ::)
I know, not very nice, but it is fun to watch the confusion.
Oh well, ride safe all, and be safw over the Holidays.
Greg
Why did we have to run for cover with the promise of a brave new world unfold beneath the clear blue sky ?

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 12:42:48 AM »
I ordered a new starter switch once.  So you did better than me.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline bbroj

• To be determined...
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Same here, but no mechanical disassembly. I read a post where someone saved themselves serious dammage and/or injury by reacting quickly with the kill switch when the throttle stuck open on hard accel (frayed cable, 1 strand got jammed). They managed to shut the bike down and get off the road safely (I'm paraphrasing, I don't recall the full story, it may have been here or the COG forum). Anyway, since reading that post, I have been trying to use the kill switch more often so it may be a reaction if the time ever comes that I need it. I've also double checked my throttle cables....
'12 C-14, Vance and Hines CS One muffler, lowered pegs, tank bra, bar risers, Phil's Farkles rack with Givi V46 top box, fender extender, Bucks tail brights, Canyon Cages and much more to come!
COG 9331
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?action=dlattach;attach=1302;type=avatar&time=1422479190