Author Topic: I'm a Kawasaki Zero to Hero Challenge Semi-finalist!!!!  (Read 22689 times)

Offline galaxieman

Re: I'm a Kawasaki Zero to Hero Challenge Semi-finalist!!!!
« Reply #60 on: April 02, 2012, 06:32:23 AM »
I'm getting into this habit pattern: get up, make coffee, hit facebook, read forums and ask for votes... and today I ran across another 'rider down' thread involving a drunk driver.  Whatever you ride, stay safe.  Part of why I even submitted the essay in the first place was to try and promote motorcycle safety: "Wait, encouraging guys to go faster makes them safer? Huh?"  Some leaders have forgotten that leading from the front works at home as well as it did downrange. And then you see stuff like that, and it pisses you off.  Didn't know the man, but he was still in my 2-wheeled brotherhood. F*ck drunk drivers.
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2012, 08:44:15 AM »
I'm getting into this habit pattern: get up, make coffee, hit facebook, read forums and ask for votes... and today I ran across another 'rider down' thread involving a drunk driver.  Whatever you ride, stay safe.  Part of why I even submitted the essay in the first place was to try and promote motorcycle safety: "Wait, encouraging guys to go faster makes them safer? Huh?"  Some leaders have forgotten that leading from the front works at home as well as it did downrange. And then you see stuff like that, and it pisses you off.  Didn't know the man, but he was still in my 2-wheeled brotherhood. F*ck drunk drivers.

Where was this story posted?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2012, 10:03:59 AM »
Over on the Superhawk Forum.  Link here to a news release on the accident.  Last line makes me hopeful that at least some justice will be served.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 10:31:59 AM »
Bump for daily reminder ;D

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 10:41:38 AM »
Everyone keep voting!!

I just Voted again.
 Had an idea and Sent list to several other Buddies and asked them to help.

If he wins,,, lets ask him to lend us his NEW bike.  <evil grin>

Ride safe, Ted

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2012, 06:48:06 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the votes, please keep 'em coming!  I voted this morning and Robert P's % dropped to 16%, which means he's got to be floating around the 16.49% range... I haven't seen mine drop from 17% in a couple of days.  Please keep it up, every vote counts, and votes now are harder to make up down the stretch (when there are fewer days left).  You guys are awesome!

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2012, 07:24:13 AM »
It took a bit of lead time, but the article the PAO and I have been working on got published today.  Check out page 1B (page 15 of 20 in the file) at the link below, it's the PDF version of the Fort paper:

http://www.aerotechnews.com/forthuachuca/files/publications/fhs_04052012A20.pdf

And I'm covered for the Zero to Hero plug because "This newspaper is an authorized publication for members of the U.S. Army. Contents of The Fort Huachuca Scout are not necessarily the official views of, or endorsed by the U.S. Government, Department of Defense, Department of Army or the U.S. Army Intelligence Center of Excellence and Fort Huachuca."

Son of Pappy

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2012, 07:58:31 AM »
Great article Jim, we need more mentors like you in the military community.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #68 on: April 06, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »
Thanks.  I've had a couple of pretty good riding mentors over the years, but the active duty ones have since retired.  Which means that I've got to step up now.  Over on BeginnerBikers.org, I've gone from a brand newbie who quickly became 'one of those statistics' (wreck with <1 year experience on that bike), to one of the 'wizened old dudes'.  I'm not the bobble-headed 2LT like I met last Friday anymore... I'm someone he looks up to.  That still completely weirds me out.  Not a professional, but I have an officially sanctioned race license... never would have thought that would happen 11 years ago when I started riding.  And I still think I'm slow and don't know enough...

Thanks for the votes guys.  Just over a week left, so keep them coming!

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: April 08, 2012, 10:17:55 AM »
Two things:

1.  If you have read the rules, you know that the Public Vote only counts for 20% of the selection criteria.  So they can pick whoever they want to at the end of the voting anyway.

2.  I did not see a reply to the "double vote" post.  Grounds for removal of votes at least.  An honest man should reject this kind of "support".  You just lost my vote, Major.
//
FYI, I've been voting for you twice a day. Once from my home, using my other e-mail addy, and once from work, using my work addy.
//
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #70 on: April 08, 2012, 10:25:35 AM »
Any idea why Kawasaki may like the double vote thing?  Advertisement is doubled.  Does anyone think this contest is on the level of say the olympics?  Do you see anything positive about what Jim is doing for our young soldiers?
Why the negativity?  From where I sit it reeks of a typical mud slinging effort.  Quick question, are you supporting one of the other candidates, or maybe you are one of the other candidates?

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2012, 12:30:01 PM »
Sending in my vote again today,,,,,,
In my opinion, regardless of which bike he rides, which reason he has to be a contestant, regardless of anything else.

He's a member of the Military Force that is out there protecting us. 
"All" of them deserve our gratitude.
In this case we have a chance to show our gratitude... Lets help him win!!!!

Ride safe, Ted

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
datsaxman, let me reference a post from early in this thread:

...That said, I got a reminder email from the sweepstakes folks that said the following:

“Each Valid Entry may be voted on by the general public, including by each Participant; however, a person may submit only one (1) vote per day per person and/or per IP address during the Public Voting Phase.”

In layman's terms, it means you can vote once daily, and each person is limited to one vote daily, also restricted by computer.  If you're voting, and you can get your wife/gf/so to vote as well, they have to use a different computer, and if you have multiple computers/email addresses, you can still only vote once.  I think they sent it because someone's voting support may have been violating that and votes weren't counting.  PLEASE vote, and please ask your friends and family to vote!

The reason I posted it was to note the IP restriction for people who have multiple family members, but may have been trying to vote on the same machine.  I had to explain to my parents that dad can vote from his computer, but that means that mom has to vote from her computer, since the IP address for dad's machine has already been used to submit a vote that day.

I fully understand that the sweepstakes company running the contest for Kawasaki would be completely justified within the rules to not count double votes.  The 'vote early, vote often' thing I have posted on a couple of sites and my facebook page, is a vague reference to the Chicago-style multiple votes system this contest is set up under.    From a $ cost perspective, having their 8 semi-finalists essentially pimping Kawasaki on the web (facebook, forums, etc) is a brilliant use of what is nearly free labor.  I also understand that they may disqualify someone who were to attempt to defraud the voting system.  Plus, as you rightly noticed, 80% of the scoring to determine the 4 finalists does come from the Kawasaki judges.  Generally speaking, it would not be in their best interests to not bring the clear leader in the public voting.  However, the percentages being what they are, this gives them some leeway in selecting from amongst possible semi-finalists should there be a 'whole, rounded-off percentage point' tie at the end of the voting.

With that, I appreciate your support, though I cannot condone or request that anyone vote multiple times.  If you'd reconsider, please continue voting, once per day until 14 April.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2012, 06:09:03 AM »
Another vote from me sir, and if you are up in Fort Leonard Wood the first beer is on me.  I loved the article in Fort Huachuca paper.  I wish there was a senior leader here that took the ball and ran like you have.  So for now they will have to settle for me setting up a track day for Soldiers.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2012, 06:18:53 AM »
I can't say I'm really doing great stuff here at Huachuca, but I'm trying.  I had no idea it was going to be written that way, but I"m really glad CSM Holiday's message this week was on Motorcycle safety, as it helps to double-tap the issue.

The race for 4th is really heating up... please keep voting and help keep me ahead of them! I think I'm a shade ahead of Robert P, but he eked his % back up to 17 this morning, so I need all the votes I can get.  I'll be in class all week with limited internet access, so it'll be a quick 'please vote' thread bump, then I'm off to class... Thanks everyone for voting, I really can't say it enough!

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2012, 07:32:40 AM »
I'm still voting for you daily.

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2012, 07:35:53 AM »
Me too, Just sent mine in.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2012, 07:18:05 AM »
Thanks for the votes guys.  5 chances left until voting closes on Saturday, please keep it up!

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #78 on: April 11, 2012, 06:30:24 AM »
Four more days, four more chances to vote.  I'm still managing to run 2nd, but with the % swing some of the contestants have had in the last week, I need every vote I can get.  Please keep it up!  It takes less than 15 seconds to vote, so if you vote every day it's less than a minute of your time.  Please click the link and vote for me!  If you've got facebook, or co-workers who ride, or whatever... please tell everybody!  The spelled out link below takes you directly there, but if you just tell them to go to the Kawasaki site... they pretty much can't miss the contest links all over that page.  Thanks for your support!

http://www.kawasaki.com/zerotohero/

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:46 AM »
BUMP for votes.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"