Author Topic: What to use to cut stock windshield?  (Read 4914 times)

Offline throb

What to use to cut stock windshield?
« on: July 15, 2012, 06:00:56 AM »
I have a second stock windshield that I want to shorten and tint.  What have you guys used to cut them?  Dremel; hacksaw blade; chainsaw if you're real careful?  ???
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
Re: What to use to cut stock windshield?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 07:20:19 AM »
Any and all of the above.....  ;) It just depends on your skill level with each!

Myself I've used a fine blade in the jig saw run at slower speed to prevent the plastic from getting hot and melting back together; just be sure to apply a couple layers of painters tape to protect the plastic surface and to give yourself a layer that you can draw your lines on. You can then smooth the cut with emery cloth or sand paper. Just work slowly and apply only light forces.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 12:00:58 PM »
I've used a vertical bandsaw once with great success and I cut my Rifle with a die grinder with a this 3" blade and it worked awesome.

Cover the the windshield with making tape make a line and go slow!

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:35 PM »
How are you guys tinting?
I was thinking of getting a roll at the auto parts store and tinting on the inside to keep the wind from ripping it off.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 12:24:03 PM »
some folks have had success with the spray on tint from VHT, that is used on plastic light covers and such, but in reality as you won't be "looking thru" the shortened shield, spray paint would do the job.
As for using the film type tinting, I was going to attempt it on my C14 shield, but when you take account of the compound radii that exist, it's a gamble, as the material doesn't stretch. You can however cut strips, and overlap them carfully, and cut and peel off the overlaps while its still wet during the application.
a rifle or C10 factory shield is pretty flat with regards to compound radii....
Use plenty of water/spray (2 drops of liquid soap to a quart of water works)  and work on a good table surface covered with a couple towels for keeping the work steady.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline Stasch

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 05:27:06 PM »
If its short enough that you don't need to look through it, you can spray paint the backside of the shield with black, even flat black.  From the front it will look glossy.
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline throb

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 06:58:01 PM »
Thank you for the cutting suggestions gents; as for tinting, I recall reading (on this site perhaps?) that if you soak the shield in black (blue, red, name your color) Ritz fabric dye, it will absorb and tint the shield.  Was going to try this and if it doesn't work, I'm only out about $6 for everything.  I **** away more than that without even thinking about it on other stuff.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Dan in Grand Rapids

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:35 AM »
I am interested to see how the dye works because I also would like to tint my stock screen. I cut my stock screen with a dremel tool and used an automotive door edge trim to go around the cut edge of the windshield. It still looks good after 5 + years.
1997 Concours
1999 KLR 650

Offline throb

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »
I will make a report after it's done, hopefully this weekend.   8)

Offline oldsmoboat

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »
I tried using a product for blacking out tail lights.  I cleaned the inside of the windscreen really well, let it dry and sprayed on the material.  It came out looking like a bunch of spider webs are running through it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00290CBGA

Offline throb

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 04:34:49 AM »
I am interested to see how the dye works...

Cut the shield yesterday afternoon (with Dremel - worked well) and soaked the shield in black dye diluted with hot water for better than an hour.  Pretty much a complete waste of time.  Maybe if the solution had more dye in it the outcome would be better, as I only added one bottle.  So unless that's the answer, it really had no noticeable effect.  I ended up spray painting the inside satin black.   8)

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
The stock windshield has some type of coating on it to keep it clear.  There is a place on mine where the coating is peeled off.  If I recall, it is about the size of a dime but the windshield has been wrapped up in my basement for 20 years.

I'd hate to try this on a whole shield, but if someone who cut off their shield to make it shorter could take that cut piece and try to remove some of the clearcoat or whatever it is by rubbing some acetone on it, then dyeing it to see if it takes, that may help.  Another idea would be to contact someone who makes or sell acrylic to see if it can be dyed.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:11:47 AM »
Hijack?? (no TSA, not that kind)

What would y'all use for 'profiling' the end of the plexi?  I'm going to shape the inside upper lip of a Ceebailey 'un-NACA' duct so maybe it will flow better.  I'm concerned a Dremel will grab and I'll wind up with gouges into the edge instead of a rounded leading edge.
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
I use a plastic cutting shaft with my dremel to cut holes.  It looks kind of like a stretched out drill bit.  Very easy to cut things with and doesn't pull on any direction.  My Walmart actually had one hanging up.  When done, just use a metal file to take the square edge off.

I'm hoping this is what you are asking.

Edit:  The bit I purchased is metal but they called it a plastic cutting bit or something like that.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 02:17:19 PM »
I tried using a product for blacking out tail lights.  I cleaned the inside of the windscreen really well, let it dry and sprayed on the material.  It came out looking like a bunch of spider webs are running through it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00290CBGA

I bought a can of that stuff and threw it out - same results as you.  The can sounds real good when you read it, the product suck though.  I used gasoline to get most of it off.  Then used 220 grit to sand the back side to give good tooth for oil-based bed liner.  Do not use the water-based bed liner either.  It will peel later from sun exposure.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2012, 02:24:48 PM »
The stock windshield has some type of coating on it to keep it clear.  There is a place on mine where the coating is peeled off.
I'd hate to try this on a whole shield, but if someone who cut off their shield to make it shorter could take that cut piece and try to remove some of the clearcoat or whatever it is by rubbing some acetone on it, then dyeing it to see if it takes, that may help.  Another idea would be to contact someone who makes or sell acrylic to see if it can be dyed.

As far as know, the C-10 winshield is not "coated" with anything.  There is nothing to peel off.  Yours has probably got a crack or imperfection that makes it look like it has a layer.

Most clear sheet plastics can't be dyed (at least to and significant amount).  Acrylic (Plexi-glas) and Lexan are some of them.  The colorant has to be added at the manufacturing process.  It has to be porus for the dye to soak into it.  The nylon and ABS RC car parts dye nicely with fabric dyes but this does not help our windshields.  You can only spray them on the surface.

Offline throb

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2012, 06:59:38 PM »
What would y'all use for 'profiling' the end of the plexi?

Wouldn't proper Southern plural be "What would 'all Y'all use...'"?  Sorry, couldn't resist!  Anyway, I used a file and a piece of 320 wet/dry sandpaper to shape, smooth and contour the lip after cutting.  Both a flat file and an oval shaped one should suit you fine.   ;D