Author Topic: Wife wants a toy hauler  (Read 6112 times)

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
Wife wants a toy hauler
« on: August 20, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
Sooooooo my wife has brought up the idea of getting a toy hauler and using it as a basecamp. This is the second time she's brought it up in the last three years. She likes the idea of having her "home away from home" plus cooking our own food and relaxing by a campfire. She said that she's always like pickup trucks and wouldn't mind having one for her ride. :thumbs:

Of course my struggle is that I have a real problem putting my bike on a "trailer" as they are meant to be ridden. That being said, something about it really appeals to me. I like the idea of being able to split the driving up, especially if we go to a far away destination. My night vision isn't what it used to be so the idea of leaving after work on a Friday and driving until we are tired is something I think could be advantageous and would help get us to our destination quicker. I do like the idea of having my "home away from home" and the hanging out by the campfire part. BUT AGAIN I am struggling with the idea of trailing my bike.

Just curious if anyone here uses a toy hauler and what your thoughts and experience has been.

Chris

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
Re: Wife wants a toy hauler
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 08:03:38 PM »
I don't have one and have no desire to 'camp out' unless it's a hotel, however if I were you, I'd go for it.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Wandrng

• Wandering the back roads of the USA & life
    • Wandering Back Roads
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 08:15:16 PM »
As she like the idea of the truck and the toy hauler to begin with, I would guess (obviously I don't know) that some of the trip, say where there is a particularly attractive road you would like to ride, your wife may be amenable to you riding while she's driving.

Then load the Concours back up and drive together for a while. As it's  toy hauler you should be able to get a system down that lets you load and unload in a matter of minutes.

Disclaimer: I have neither a wife nor a toy hauler, but I do have a Concours.

And a final note: If I had a wife, and she was interested in traveling with me, in a truck and toyhauler that was her idea - I'd be all over that s%#t.

Some guys gots all the luck.
Life is too short to live the same day twice.
2015 Concours 14 -- 2007 Kawasaki KLR650 --  2003 Honda Magna 750 -- 2 V65 Magnas
Wandering Back Roads:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 08:38:20 PM »
It will be hidden inside so no one will know.  ;)

Feeling a little guilty for razzing all those guys who have trailored in the past?

I hauled my 250 dual sport out to NM, and CA during a work trip and had a blast with it.  I've hauled to Florida mid winter when it was too dangerous to ride.

I just borrowed a small enclosed trailer and am hauling the Trophy to the mountains for my anniversary trip.  She wont ride the distance and doesn't want to be stuck without a car, and yes I could make her drive while I ride, but you don't do that on a 30 year anniversary trip if you want to make it to 31.

Happy wife, happy life.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:34:30 AM by twowheeladdict »
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Flat-spot

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 03:29:12 AM »
Good Gawd Man, do it!  You'll get over the guilt real fast. :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 04:42:38 AM »
No toy hauler but we have a motorhome that we bought this year. I'll be buying a small enclosed trailer to take Connie with us when we hit the road in it. I have an open trailer for the job but after thinking about it a little more I decided that I don't want to worry about slopping salt all over the bike on our wonderful Illinois roads on the way down south. So I'm selling the trailer and picking up a 5x8 enclosed trailer instead. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20015.0
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 04:49:34 AM »
No toy hauler but we have a motorhome that we bought this year. I'll be buying a small enclosed trailer to take Connie with us when we hit the road in it. I have an open trailer for the job but after thinking about it a little more I decided that I don't want to worry about slopping salt all over the bike on our wonderful Illinois roads on the way down south. So I'm selling the trailer and picking up a 5x8 enclosed trailer instead. http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=20015.0
:rotflmao:

C, would a 6x10 be much heavier or cost a lot more? A little more room for you stuff.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 05:00:19 AM »
C, would a 6x10 be much heavier or cost a lot more? A little more room for you stuff.

6x10 would be fine too. Maybe I'll go a size up for the extra room.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 05:27:22 AM »
6x10 would be fine too. Maybe I'll go a size up for the extra room.

I'd sure consider it. C14 is 3' wide with the bags. Be tight loading in a 5' wide trailer.

Offline Burbs

• 2009 ABS
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 09:30:28 AM »
It will be hidden inside so no one will know.  ;)

Feeling a little guilty for razzing all those guys who have trailored in the past?

In my defense, I never said it to their faces...just as I rode by on my bike!!  ;)

Not gonna lie, I really thought I'd be taking a lot of heat for this post. We just bought a house after relocating in 2013 so it'll be a couple years down the road if we end up going that route. Like I said, the idea really intrigues me big time. In my research however, it seems like with owning a camper, toy hauler, RV, etc., there tend to be issues with them like leaks, pipe issues, etc. But then again, those things can happen with a bike as well.

In reading some posts on rv.net, people admit that at the end of the day, these recreation toys are POS's and that you have to understand that going into it. Literally, a lot of folks used that terminology when discussing them, no matter how much you spend. There will always be headaches but they also say they love having it.

Chris

Offline Cholla

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:01 AM »
Next thing ya know you'll be trading the Connie for a Harley....
Beware the Black Widows...Feared throughout the land!

Offline jettawreck

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:18 AM »
In my defense, I never said it to their faces...just as I rode by on my bike!!  ;)

Not gonna lie, I really thought I'd be taking a lot of heat for this post. We just bought a house after relocating in 2013 so it'll be a couple years down the road if we end up going that route. Like I said, the idea really intrigues me big time. In my research however, it seems like with owning a camper, toy hauler, RV, etc., there tend to be issues with them like leaks, pipe issues, etc. But then again, those things can happen with a bike as well.

In reading some posts on rv.net, people admit that at the end of the day, these recreation toys are POS's and that you have to understand that going into it. Literally, a lot of folks used that terminology when discussing them, no matter how much you spend. There will always be headaches but they also say they love having it.

Chris

Until you get into the ultra high end stuff (maybe even then) most of the interior materials are very cheap and easy to damage/wear out. They try to make them look pretty nice to make the sale. Cabinets, flooring, paneling, etc. Most of it is very cheap no matter how good it looks. But, it seems to get the job done.
Having said that, we have had one old Class C motorhome and several bumper pull campers over the many years and had minimal problems. But, we are pretty easy on stuff and when the kids were still home with us they were trained to be careful, not slam doors, etc. I built a storage building to put ours in to keep it out of the weather and keep the snow off the roof. That worked for a couple years, now its full of other stuff, including the C10, so the last several years the camper has sat outside. Its starting to take its toll on it. Needs new awning fabric, rubber roof needs a good cleaning, getting a bit faded, etc.
If you live where it freezes, winterizing them has been made pretty easy with waterheater bypass valves and drains. I can do the current camper trailer with only a gallon of RV antifreeze in about 5-10 minutes.
I have only owned one fiberglass sided unit and like most I see, it had started to delaminate on the exterior. Love the way they look, but won't buy another. 
I think you would enjoy it since the wife is in favor of it. It would be a nice way to get out and ride some new places and have a "happy camper" along for the trip(s).
This street bike thing is all new to me.
Snowmobiles-I have a bunch of those.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 01:02:15 PM »

Chris

We've been camping for years and years. I started my boys out when they were very young, my oldest is 38 now. We did the tent thing for several years and then bought a pop-up. Took that thing everywhere and had some great times with the boys. Then after our oldest son moved out we bought a 5th wheel and took that everywhere. Great times. We still have the 5th wheel but it's like our cabin in the woods in Wisconsin. It stays where it's at on a permanent campsite. Now we have a motorhome that we just purchased this year. I'll be towing my bike behind that thing on trips. It'll be just my wife and I. We'll set-up camp someplace and then take off on the bike. If I want to ride while she drives the RV, then I can.

The thing is with RVs is that most of them are built as inexpensively as possible for sure. But what compounds that issue are the knuckleheads they have assembling these things in Indiana (where most of them are made). We did a lot of shopping for our RVs and it's hard to believe what their QC people let go by (you'd think that some companies don't even have a QC department).

That said, if you can fix stuff yourself you're better off doing so on your RV. You really have to keep up on maintenance and don't put anything off.

The pop-up I mentioned above is a Coleman and we bought it new in 1990. I gave it to my son in 2004 and he's still using it, everything still works, and it's still in good shape. That was the best bang for the buck of any of our RVs!

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 05:28:59 PM »
I have a Work and Play toyhauler and have had two popups and a bunkhouse camper in the past. My wife suggested it, too. She likes to camp and cook and ride with me. Works for us. I pull it with a CrewCab F-250 and pulled it from Ga to Colorado and back in June for a rally. We like it. Different strokes for different folks. I don't care if people know I trailer the Connie. It's my Connie and my trailer.

My truck  has a/c. It has windshield wipers and a heater. The trailer has a/c, a furnace, a water heater, a coffee maker, a queen sized bed, a flat screen tv, refrigerator, microwave, range w/oven, a bathroom with shower.

My small tent for backpacking or bike camping has dirt, bugs, and the ground is hard.

I've camped 300+ nights in tents and another couple of hundred in my campers. Your life. Your choice.  ;)  Does it matter what anybody else thinks?    8)
2014 C-14 Red

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 09:52:26 PM »
I would seriously look at the all aluminum construction trailers.  No rust, no wood rot.  Lighter so you can spend less on the truck.

I had a budget Fleetwood prowler 27x back in 2001.  We averaged 80 nights and 10,000 miles a year traveling with 2 boys and 2 cats.  Only a couple minor warranty issues in the 12 years we owned it.  Best $8000 I ever spent.  Awesome sights and family time.

Now I have a truck tent and air mattress if I am heavy camping,  hammock for light camping.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2015, 11:27:06 AM »
My neighbor bought a crew-cab pickup with an 8' bed to pull his (wife's) Airstream trailer. He carries his cycle in the truck bed, along with the ramps. Works for him.

From what I've seen from the toy hauler type trailers, I wouldn't have one. Too bare bones inside and don't appear to be very well made.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 01:28:54 PM »
My neighbor bought a crew-cab pickup with an 8' bed to pull his (wife's) Airstream trailer. He carries his cycle in the truck bed, along with the ramps. Works for him.

From what I've seen from the toy hauler type trailers, I wouldn't have one. Too bare bones inside and don't appear to be very well made.

They make extremely high-end ones too.  Every one I've been in smells like gas/oil/motorcycle, but i hear there are high end ones so high end that is eliminated too.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Jim H

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 01:39:53 PM »
  The way to go is with a separate garage to help keep out the smells.....but I would imagine that only works so well.   I used to put my vmax in the bed of my truck and pull a 25' TT but that is sold and wife is not into riding so only pedal bikes in bed of truck when we camp now.  LOL

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 07:18:19 PM »
I would like to get a slide in for my wife's long bed 2500HD.  Then she can pull her horse trailer, and I can put my dual sport in there with her horse. 
My Concours Travels:

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:41:15 PM »
  The way to go is with a separate garage to help keep out the smells.....but I would imagine that only works so well.   I used to put my vmax in the bed of my truck and pull a 25' TT but that is sold and wife is not into riding so only pedal bikes in bed of truck when we camp now.  LOL

My toy hauler has a wall with a sliding glass door separating the C-10 from the rest. I open the top vent to the front, the lower vent near the ramp to the rear while we mover and it stays clean smelling. I also don't let the Connie sit in the garage unless we're traveling. It parks outside under the canopy. There's also a roof vent that is open during parking. Leaving the ramp down keeps it clean, too. The gas tank for the fueling station is a 20 gal plastic fuel tank under the floor that has a pump and fuel gauge on the side of the trailer. Connie's are notorious about venting through the tank cap, but I let mine cool before loading. Not a lot of odor.
2014 C-14 Red