Poll

I just GOTTA know.  You should:

Give your standard wave or otherwise cool hand signal.
62 (86.1%)
Check to see if anyone is looking and THEN wave.
2 (2.8%)
Follow them til they stop and see if they will tell how much they REALLY paid.
2 (2.8%)
Fein vision problems and stare straight ahead.
5 (6.9%)
Go buy one yourself so you can see how they feel.
1 (1.4%)

Total Members Voted: 71

Author Topic: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?  (Read 25374 times)

Bob

Re: Do you wave to Can-Am Spyders or not?
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 07:39:25 PM »
I find most scooter riders won't wave (maybe being smaller). But most will return the wave. Then they probably get a big smile on their face under their helmet, thinking that they've taking the first step!

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:21 PM »
I'll wave to anyone on a vehicle as opposed to in a vehicle.  So Spyders, scooters, trikes, etc. all get waves.  If I don't wave, I didn't see you, or I'm cornering too hard to take my hand off the bars.  (Or I'm stopped, and have one hand on the clutch and the other on the brake - Then all you'll get is a nod.)

NY has determined that the Spyders are motorcycles for the purpose of licensing.  You can take your motorcycle test on one. 

There's a local guy on a scooter who commutes and runs it around town almost year round.  He definitely deserves the respect of a wave.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:28 PM »
i love them!  i will be adding one to the stable before to long.
and yes i wave to them!

Offline turbohawk

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 07:40:36 PM »
I priced a Can-Am Spyder, just out of curiosity, and my final analysis was that if you want a motorcycle, get a motorcycle, otherwise get a convertible, a NICE one, and you'll be out the same amount of money and you can raise the top when it rains and carry a couple more babes and get BETTER or the same MPG to boot! 

I'm a hardcore 2 wheeler so trikes and dykes just have no appeal to me...zero.

Offline booger

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2011, 08:02:48 PM »
Several riders and I were having a discussion on this one.  Do you wave to Can Am Spyders or not?  The overwhelming majority seemed to think the Spyder does NOT qualify as a motorcycle, and therefore their riders do not receive a wave.  The majority also seemed to think they should be ranked the same as scooters.  What do you think?

In Texas, the Department of Public Safety seems to think they are motorcycles.

Offline jim_de_hunter

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2011, 08:15:16 PM »
Just like women, I wave at'em ALL.  Slow, overweight dressers...  sleek, fast little ones that ya' got to bend over to ride....  extra wheels for a wide stance... I don't care... I like'm ALL. 

2006 ZG1000 "The Blue Monster"

Offline Pynikal

• From power cruiser to power tourer.
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
here in MO if you take your MC test on a 2 wheeled bike you can ride what ever, but if you take on a 3 wheeled bike you can legally only ride a 3 wheeled bike.

Offline Boonedawg

• Arena
    • Jet Associates East
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

I've got a 03 Harley Vrod, I call it the PURGATORY BIKE, the "purist" greaser Harley guys always give me grief cause it's liquid cooled, the Jap guys did too because I was on a Harley...I could care less the bikes a riot to ride.

I also own a Pair of Spyder's (one for me one for the dear wife) one with manual clutch hers with electronic...You can say what you want, but they are a blast to ride.

FORD and CHEVY's boys, when you start thinking your a little bit better than others you might need to get the mirror and take a GOOD hard look.

I get my 11' Concours this week, I can't wait.  Another style of bike to ride.  I wave to all, if you don't it doesn't bother me, your not the type of person I would care to associate with anyway.  I'm about having a good time and enjoying the time I get on the bike.
Also,
I ride Ski-doo's 600 Etecs, I've owned Sea Doo boats, and I sell Bombardier Jet's for a living (along with all other makes and models)
THE SPYDERS are a blast to ride...Bombardier makes good stuff. 

Offline manowarwi

• Midwest Sport Riders
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2011, 08:22:46 PM »
I also wave to any trike or vehicle with two wheels including the hardcore bicyclists I often encounter on county roads in the middle of nowhere, they'll often nod back.  Doing what you enjoy is all that matters and pretty much everyone you see on less than 4 wheels made a decision to do so.

I also wave to semi drivers as I pass them and farmers driving various implements in either direction.  They have to deal with the same issues with inattentive cagers that we do, except they have to do it to get paid.  Both of those groups seem to respect motorcyclists too.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly

2014 Triumph Tiger Explorer XC
2008 Concours - Gone but not forgotten

Excavator

« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2011, 08:28:49 PM »
I give three wheelers the three finger solutes. Bikes normally get the two finger solute!

Bob, I hope you don't run across any unicycles!

I try to wave at anyone riding something in the open air with a motor.....If it's safe at the time.

I don't usually wave at bicycles unless they wave first....I don't know why, I guess it has to have a motor.  :-\

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2011, 08:53:42 PM »
I give all bikes the the two finger down salute (I consider trikes and Can-Ams bikes).  Most give the wave back but nearly half of Harley riders won't, doesn't bother me though.  The only time I don't wave is when I am leaned waaay over.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2011, 08:57:30 PM »
Why the hell not?

Offline Cold Streak

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2011, 09:16:38 PM »
My comment about Harleys was strictly about the chopped bikes cruising around.  I've just learned that it doesn't matter if you wave or not.  They never respond.  So I don't bother anymore.  Sometimes I don't pick them out right away and wave, but when I get nothing back I realize I've tried to friend someone who really doesn't care. 

Otherwise I'll wave to anyone on two wheels.  Okay, I won't wave if you're on the other side of the freeway wall and it's rush hour and I'm trying to survive the commute.

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2011, 09:23:58 PM »
Several riders and I were having a discussion on this one.  Do you wave to Can Am Spyders or not?  The overwhelming majority seemed to think the Spyder does NOT qualify as a motorcycle, and therefore their riders do not receive a wave.  The majority also seemed to think they should be ranked the same as scooters.  What do you think?

I don't give a damn what they ride. If they ride a Can-Am or if they ride a scooter, I give them a wave. JMNSHO

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2011, 09:30:53 PM »
I've never met a Can Am Spyder on the road but I'm sure I'll throw up a hand when I do. I wave a most every rider I meet but I especially make an effort to wave at the riders of small scooters. I figure if they are out there riding something without enough power to get out of it's own way, they deserve some recognition.
I've always thought we wave at the rider, not the bike.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline George in N Az

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2011, 09:31:49 PM »
I will wave at almost anybody, why not, at least I know they see me!!! Heck, I will even wave at cars.
2002 Concours various farkles,
04 Wee Strom - Killer Renthal conversion, Sonic
89 Councours

Offline metzgerf16

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2011, 09:53:06 PM »
I will say this...despite my personal opinions on Spyders and scooters, I'll wave at anyone who waves at me.  It's like a reflex, unless I'm leaned over hard or using the clutch.  It's funny to see everyone's different personal rules regarding the wave.  It's such a simple gesture, yet we all have our own requirements for rendering the salute.
"You serious, Clark?"
'09 Red Concours- Sargent seat, Area-P exhaust, BMC filter, PC-V, flies out, PR2's, Murph's risers
'06 Ninja zx10r- Dear tiny baby Jesus, it's fast!

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2011, 10:08:19 PM »
I feel that since they take pretty much the same chances as us (exposure to weather, no seat belt or airbag, etc), they deserve the wave too.  Even if their bikes look silly.  I also wave at trikes and scooters.  Scooters kinda depends on my mood though, it's a 50/50 thing with them.

I also nod or wave to the local police/firefighters, mostly because there's a somewhat good chance I've conversed with them at some point (at council meetings and such)...
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline tonedeaf

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2011, 10:26:15 PM »
I remember a conversation I had many years ago with a Harley rider (I was riding a BMW at the time). He told me that the pure unvarnished truth is that the only riders who don't wave are BMW riders.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2011, 10:32:25 PM »
I wave at them all. I have found a funny thing. I have forward highway pegs on my C14. I find I get almost 100% waves from the Harley crowd when I have my feet in the pegs. I'm guessing that with my feet sticking out they mistake it for something other then a Jap ST bike as they are coming toward it.