Author Topic: Thinking about trading off the Connie...  (Read 46503 times)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
Re: Thinking about trading off the Connie...
« Reply #100 on: May 14, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
A good friend has a '98, I believe it is, and loves it more than his other bikes.  The new one is uglier than the CTX above.  Wouldn't want one...

Agreed! No comparison.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #101 on: May 14, 2015, 11:18:26 AM »
Agreed! No comparison.

The new one looks creative and innovative.  The old one looks, well, old.  Looks like a 1910 wannabee to me.

I first thought the CTX was ugly, but I am now thinking it is unique and different.  I prefer unique and different over having what everyone else has.  I wouldn't even consider owning a Mustang, Camaro, or Challenger.  I see a couple dozen of them every day. 
Way too many Harleys out there as well.  I wouldn't have the Voyager, but it is the only bike my wife will ride on. 
The Mean Streak on the other hand is a unique cruiser with the ZX9 wheels and brakes.  Sporty handling bike with different engine set up than the other Vulcans.  Cam profiles, fast revving, etc.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #102 on: May 14, 2015, 11:26:22 AM »
I have been rearranging my shop and removing anything that is not bike or tool related.  I'm thinking I can get one or two more bikes in there now.   ;D 
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2015, 01:30:29 PM »
Whew.....that was close. You can change the subject line now.  :)

Offline tomp

« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2015, 05:13:01 PM »

I first thought the CTX was ugly, but I am now thinking it is unique and different.  I prefer unique and different over having what everyone else has. 

I can appreciate that.  Sat on a CTX700 once, and the pegs were just too stretched for me to be comfortable.  Honda has moved in a direction different than other makers.  Only time will tell if that move was a good one for them.    For America, I wonder if a TRUE adventure bike, with a V4 of 11-1300cc's, would sell?   Not the CTX engine, but the Magna/Sabre/Interceptor styled V4.  Something like a Cross Tourer 1200cc, but with some weight cut off, to compete with the KTM, Duc's, Super Tenere's out there.  FWIW, used to off road/enduro race Honda 4 stroke singles decades ago, and never had to do a thing to them but oil the chain.  Example, the SL125 was indestructible, and could be ridden WFO, all the time.  Great memories there.   

Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline tomp

« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2015, 08:50:06 PM »
Cross Runner 800 and Cross Tourer 1200 will probably never be brought over to us.  Wish we could get something like a KTM 1290 Super Adventure, with Honda reliability and maintenance schedule.  Thought I has something like that a few years ago with the Tiger 1050, but hated every day of its ownership.  Can't explain why, but just did.  Fill up the space and let us know what fit.  tp

FWIW, if I had the spare dollars, either a new R1200R, or an S1000R would be the next in my garage.

Read that BMW is working on a new Scrambler model, to compete with the Triumph and new Ducs.  Basically an R Nine T, with less expensive suspension and electronic gizmos, I read.  Something kinda like this would be fun to ride.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2015, 03:13:02 PM »
I am about to embark on a trip with my klx250s in the back of the truck.  The plan is to base camp and ride. I will work my way to Big Sur. If that works well, I might be looking for an SM, or naked light weight street bike.  I put the Guzzi in the back of the truck, but 450 lbs was too much to try and back down a single ramp.  Plus, it squatted the rear of the truck down 2.5 inches.  I would love it if shark kage made a ramp system for the small trucks.
My Concours Travels:

Offline tomp

« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2015, 04:34:28 PM »
Have fun on the outing.  Had a KLX250S, and after adding a Seat Concepts seat and wind screen, I used it on  300 mile days.  Around 170 highway and the rest off pavement.  Placing it in the bed of a truck is a good/smart move. If it had had 15 more HP, I would still own it.  Just too many highway miles to get to the fun places around here.  Again have fun, and think about those of us, of the working class... ;D

What would be great to ride is a KTM 650 Enduro R.   Couple of draw backs, limited production and over $10K USD.  One could own a KLR and a KLX for that money.  Try this on a KLR or KLX, though . . . Power wheelie.

Offline texrider

« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2015, 06:02:04 PM »
I've been admiring the Honda CB1000R lately.
Looks like it could travel some, if you added a small windscreen.
Carries about 5 gal fuel, upright ergos.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/zfNuoHE8cpW4eWe6Ee.6Kg--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NDgwO3E9OTU7dz02NDA-/http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/U/K/0/-/Honda-CB1000R.jpg
2014 Valkyrie

Offline tomp

« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2015, 06:19:51 PM »
I've been admiring the Honda CB1000R lately.
Looks like it could travel some, if you added a small windscreen.
Carries about 5 gal fuel, upright ergos.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/zfNuoHE8cpW4eWe6Ee.6Kg--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9NDgwO3E9OTU7dz02NDA-/http://0.tqn.com/d/motorcycles/1/0/U/K/0/-/Honda-CB1000R.jpg

Considered one while looking at the FZ-09.  485 lbs and 123HP VS 415 lbs and 115HP.  The added weight would probably make it a better long road bike, but not so much a hooligan model.  Saw a new one in Houston, a '14 model, for $8,999.  Could probably get it at even a better price if tried.  Really like the Ducati styled "GOLD" wheels. 

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline twowheeladdict

My Concours Travels:

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #113 on: July 30, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
To close out this thread, I traded my '12 Concours with 30,000 miles of great touring for a new leftover '14 Triumph Trophy.  I now have 650 miles on the Trophy and know I am going to love touring on it.  It takes 87 octane, and can go 275 miles before the low fuel light comes on, and took 5 gallons to top off.  It carries 6.9 gallons of fuel, so it can go 350 miles before you get serious about stopping for fuel. 

It is a better all round bike then the Concours when you factor in power, handling, and comfort.

Now, to get my wife on board and see if she can tolerate it enough for me to part with the Voyager.
My Concours Travels:

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2015, 06:25:24 AM »
I am about to embark on a trip with my klx250s in the back of the truck.  The plan is to base camp and ride. I will work my way to Big Sur. If that works well, I might be looking for an SM, or naked light weight street bike.  I put the Guzzi in the back of the truck, but 450 lbs was too much to try and back down a single ramp.  Plus, it squatted the rear of the truck down 2.5 inches.  I would love it if shark kage made a ramp system for the small trucks.

I ride my bikes up and down the black widow ramp, it works in a small truck, and will handle the weight of a big hawg with a pirate.

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine