Author Topic: Thinking about trading off the Connie...  (Read 46499 times)

Offline Scaffolder

Re: Thinking about trading off the Connie...
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 05:56:08 AM »
Ducati Multistrada Granturismo
Concours 1400
Triumph Rocket III
This could compliment any garage and urge I could get.
I tried out a nice Gold Wing last year and I could never go that route and I do mostly highway miles.
Joel from Maine.

Offline Ghost Rider 2

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2015, 06:10:09 AM »
  I have been threw this before. I have owned 4 Connie's. I trade one off thinking it is the bike I don't need.  Then turn around a buy another. I have even owned 2 and 3 Goldwings at a time.  As of today  I own a 1800 Goldwing, GL1500 Valkyrie, and my 09 Concours. I just don't feel I need to play on the gravel roads anymore, plus there are almost none in the area where I live.  I still look at KLR 650's and think I need one but so far I am winning.

Offline tomp

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2015, 09:41:10 PM »
The adventure style bike that is gonna really take off is BMW's new one.  Uses the S1000R's engine, and not as ergo radical as a GS.  I would love the XR, and possibly get rid of my whole stable if only one bike could be owned. 

Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2015, 04:05:10 AM »
The adventure style bike that is gonna really take off is BMW's new one.  Uses the S1000R's engine, and not as ergo radical as a GS.  I would love the XR, and possibly get rid of my whole stable if only one bike could be owned. 

Both bikes in the photo are nice bikes.  Chain drive and touring are two things I don't want to combine again. 

The nice thing about the voyager is hydraulic  valve lash adjusters.  No having to tear the bike down just to check clearances.

I wish kawasaki would have just modernized the voYager 1200 with fuel injection, brakes, suspension, and throttle by wire.  That i-4 with HLA was a great platform.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2015, 05:36:19 AM »
Both bikes in the photo are nice bikes.  Chain drive and touring are two things I don't want to combine again.

I many people's opinions, including mine, it is not any sort of touring if it has a chain.  One can't just slap panniers on something and claim it is a tourer :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2015, 05:45:12 AM »
Sure you can, Max.....

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2015, 08:00:27 AM »
The chain is a valid point. It would lean me towards a Triumph Explorer or Moto Guzzi Stelvio.
Joel from Maine.

Offline sf bay rider

• Humble student of the ZG1400
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2015, 09:43:07 AM »
Quite a simple matter to trim the herd.  Trade in the Voyager and your Connie for a new Connie!
I did and smiling like a "Cheshire Cat" to boot.
Jack

2014 Red ZG1400CEFL

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
Quite a simple matter to trim the herd.  Trade in the Voyager and your Connie for a new Connie!
I did and smiling like a "Cheshire Cat" to boot.

If they would have added electronic cruise control and HLA along with that green color, I would have been all over it.   8)

Sure, the redline would have to be lower, and the overall HP reduced, but in the touring bike the less maintenance the better.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2015, 11:05:37 AM »
The chain is a valid point. It would lean me towards a Triumph Explorer or Moto Guzzi Stelvio.

Triumph Explorer is physically too large for me.  Had an extended test ride on one.  The Guzzi is a great bike, but has a more frequent maintenance schedule and not many dealers if an issue crops up while out on a tour. 

The Super Tenere is on the short list, but will wait for a fully farkled used one at a great price.
My Concours Travels:

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2015, 11:57:30 AM »
Replace the C14 and the Voyager with a Victory Vision Tour? Yeah, belt drive isn't a shaft, but it ain't a chain either. Rode with a guy in January in west Texas that rode one. The twisties didn't slow him down. He hung with the C14s, C10, and the ST1300 no problem. He even took it off pavement a bit (dirt road at the end of TX FM 170 in Candelaria TX.). He and his Vision Tour were very quiet, very visible, and very fast, and had a heck of a lot of storage, and the back seat looked comfy too! Fuel injected, hydraulic lifters, 26.5" seat height, power windshield, heated seats and grips, ABS, cruise control, the looks would take some getting use to, but I was impressed, and I didn't think I'd ever be impressed by a V twin.  Just a thought.

Offline tomp

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2015, 02:01:46 PM »
But they are so damn ugly.  Arlen needs to go back to design school.  Just my opinion, some do like it. 

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2015, 03:22:55 PM »
But they are so damn ugly.  Arlen needs to go back to design school.  Just my opinion, some do like it.

Ugly indeed.... and I know I could never get past the V-twin part.  But, it is not me who wants to trade the C14!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline tomp

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2015, 06:07:43 PM »
Ugly indeed.... and I know I could never get past the V-twin part.  But, it is not me who wants to trade the C14!
  Not trading my 14 either, but some twins are cool.  KTM, DUC,Aprilia, and even the VStrom and older Honda twins are really nice.  Granted they aren't 45* V Twins with uber long strokes, but still two cylinders.  Super Duke R 1290, and Panigali S 1299 come to mind.  tomp

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2015, 06:21:27 PM »
  Not trading my 14 either, but some twins are cool.  KTM, DUC,Aprilia, and even the VStrom and older Honda twins are really nice.  Granted they aren't 45* V Twins with uber long strokes, but still two cylinders.  Super Duke R 1290, and Panigali S 1299 come to mind.  tomp
mmmm twins....

Offline tomp

« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2015, 06:25:16 PM »
mmmm twins....
That would make a great desk top wallpaper for my laptop.  Gotta love those twins.  FWIW, I believe that may be why guys ride Harleys, for the twins.  tp

Offline Conniesaki

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
That would make a great desk top wallpaper for my laptop.  Gotta love those twins.  FWIW, I believe that may be why guys ride Harleys, for the twins.  tp

Sheesh, well, there's gotta be some reason.

:P

Offline tomp

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2015, 07:30:17 PM »
Sheesh, well, there's gotta be some reason.

:P

Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members.  Most bike forums would kill to have that kind of participation.  No reason to dis the untold millions who ride and enjoy riding simple, nostalgic motorcycles. 

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/

tp ;D

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2015, 07:38:30 PM »
Seems folks everywhere like Harleys.  Just this one forum has over 300,000 members.  Most bike forums would kill to have that kind of participation. No reason to dis the untold millions who ride and enjoy riding simple, nostalgic motorcycles. 

http://www.hdforums.com/forum/

tp ;D
...until you're stuck behind them in your own personal hell cause you can't pass.... 8)

Offline tomp

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »
...until you're stuck behind them in your own personal hell cause you can't pass.... 8)
You guys are hilarious.  Spoke with a DL1000 owner this PM, and we agreed that all motorcycle are fun to ride.  Limiting oneself with motorcycles is like dating only blondes.  LOTS TO BE SAID FOR BRUNETTES AND REDHEADS...