Author Topic: Cafe Build of a C10  (Read 8294 times)

Offline sport rider

Cafe Build of a C10
« on: December 28, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
I thought I'd start a separate thread than my intro thread to post more about my cafe project.  attached is a prototype pic, but I still have a LONG way to go before I call this one done.  I picked up a $350 donor bike for starters.  it showed signs of being dropped like the fairing cracks at the mirrors, and some minor cracks on the side panels.  however, no signs of  being down hard.

I have a ZRX front end and meanstreak rear wheel to set it up with 17s front and rear.  I'm using the stock ZRX bars for now, but will likely replace those as I get closer to completion.

for now, I plan to use the stock tank.  that might change before it's all said and done, but for now, it's a low budget build.  I have removed the rear frame section as well and will try to cut down the stock seat to an appropriate look.  I'm going to have to either fab a seat pan or see if I can source something that will work.  for a prototype, I chopped down the stock seat.  it looks good for a concept, but needs proper finishing to look right.

the coolant reservoir had already been relocated by the previous owner.  I plan to fab an inner fairing.  might be able to use the stock one with some modifications.  the battery area will be covered with an oval numbered disk for some "authenticity".

still thinking about the rear shock.  perhaps a ZZR1200 or an aftermarket progressive HD.  I mounted one of those on my sidecar rig and it's pretty stiff.  the 05 model has the ZZR on it.  since it's primarily for 2-up riding, I might replace it and move the ZZR to the cafe.

right now I need an ignition switch and gas cap with keys.  the previous owner said he would mail the key, but have tried several times to get him to send it to no avail.  could get a locksmith.  we'll see.

I also need a right footpeg and bracket.

if anyone has spare parts, holler at me.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
Re: Cafe Build of a C10
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 10:33:22 AM »
That already looks nice. How did you remove the rear wheel fender and how is the seat supported?

Offline sport rider

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 02:11:08 PM »
rear wheel fender is just a bunch of bolts here and there to remove it.  the rear frame section, which is bolt on, is removed too.  Right now the seat is just sitting on the frame that is left.  I'm thinking I'll use the bolt holes where the rear sub-frame connected to use quick connect pins to hold the seat on for a final solution.  I'm going to have to fabricate a hoop which will connect at the same spot as well.  that will support brake lights, turn signal and license plate.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:46:37 AM »
Looks like a fun project. Great platform to build on
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline sport rider

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2019, 10:15:52 AM »
Old post resurrection.  I've basically just been tinkering with the bike, fixing odds and ends over this year.  I've got all the basics going and am down to the seat and support development.  I've bought some steel pipe to bend into a tail section.  from there I plan to figure out a tail section cover and then move back to creating the seat/pan/cover.  I'm hoping that I'll have some time to devote to it over the winter months.

attached pic is most recent of where things sit, but I did have to replace the tank, so paint is still a bit up in the air.  I'm actually thinking perhaps going with a medium blue color.  but I have some seat pan configuration ideas in my head, so hope to be able to make the progress.

Offline DC Concours

• Arena
  • 2001 Concours, ~35K miles
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2019, 04:59:42 PM »
Good going on the project. I like the orange paint. Keep it.

gpineau

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2019, 05:03:17 PM »
Mine is cut off about the same place as yours but my seat is also cut at the same place.  For the license plate , tail light, and turn signals I made a bracket out of homedepot angle iron and steel pipe.

The side fairings I got for $38 including shipping. The guy said they would fit so I am going on faith.
I found another pair but the guy wants $50 for them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Concours-Side-covers-ZG1000-A8/301839573250?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D01223620fc024750a29b99b578177d91%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D223688878261%26itm%3D301839573250%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A3531dbdc-22bb-11ea-bd15-74dbd180e886%7Cparentrq%3A2097982c16f0a860d2d3ab46ffb5ac4a%7Ciid%3A1

gpineau

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »
Have you taken it for a ride yet? Do you have any problem with that wrapping around the tail pipes? Only one of my pipes had it and it smoked like crazy and gave off strange smelling vapors.  I ended up cutting it off.

Also I found an air box for mine so it looks more stock (ish)

I let mine sit for a long time but now I am getting anxious to get it finished. As spare time and money permits.

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2019, 06:43:00 PM »
the fabric wrap on the tubes, just holds moisture, and will eventually lead to spiral splits on the pipe, from migration where it's wrapped with the wire.

The pipes, being an alloy of Stainless, don't really need that... it' just something that cause another failed component, especially when you don't even have mufflers, keeping the heat in... :rotflmao:

Rock on man, I like the Orange paint...

oh, take a razor knife to those fork "gaitors" and cut them in half... the look like "rumple forskin"...  ::) 8)

you are on the way tho...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline sport rider

« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2019, 10:08:58 AM »
Have you taken it for a ride yet? Do you have any problem with that wrapping around the tail pipes? Only one of my pipes had it and it smoked like crazy and gave off strange smelling vapors.  I ended up cutting it off.

Also I found an air box for mine so it looks more stock (ish)

I let mine sit for a long time but now I am getting anxious to get it finished. As spare time and money permits.

no particular problem with the wrap except that I've gotten some coolant and oil spilled on them which smokes a bit when they get hot.  I'm likely going to remove it.  just something else to do.  :)

I'm probably going to go back to the air box.  I've got three sets of carbs and one of them will go off to Steve for a makeover.  it's time to get it running "right".

Offline sport rider

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2019, 10:12:05 AM »
the fabric wrap on the tubes, just holds moisture, and will eventually lead to spiral splits on the pipe, from migration where it's wrapped with the wire.

The pipes, being an alloy of Stainless, don't really need that... it' just something that cause another failed component, especially when you don't even have mufflers, keeping the heat in... :rotflmao:

Rock on man, I like the Orange paint...

oh, take a razor knife to those fork "gaitors" and cut them in half... the look like "rumple forskin"...  ::) 8)

you are on the way tho...

Wrap will come off at some point.  just bigger fish to fry at the moment.  the big problem with the fork protectors is they are old and rotted.  they are going to get replaced.  Perhaps pink.  :)

oh...and muffler is nicely placed on the other side of the bike.  doesn't it look cool having this side more "naked"?   :thumbs:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2019, 03:24:58 PM »
pink is good  :)

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2019, 03:44:57 PM »
Wrap will come off at some point.  just bigger fish to fry at the moment.  the big problem with the fork protectors is they are old and rotted.  they are going to get replaced.  Perhaps pink.  :)

oh...and muffler is nicely placed on the other side of the bike.  doesn't it look cool having this side more "naked"?   :thumbs:

groovy.... need pics of all the sides, I like it...  :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
what exhaust did you use, to be lefty mounted??  I have a set (new, un used) Ontario pipes, but they are right hand side....

Oh, and I give thumbs up on the Pink, fork gaitors.... (actually had a red set, that bleached out to Pink, on my '74 KX450 MX bike... took a lot of chides from my pals when I was racing...  but none of them ever "saw" the front of that bike... jut the clods of "mud grenades" I launched at them thru each moto...) :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :rotflmao: :hitfan: :stirpot: :hail: :hail: :rotflmao:

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

gpineau

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2019, 04:29:23 PM »
I like that you were able to move you pipes to the other side. I bought a couple stock mufflers just because it was so loud.  I been working on mine today, cleaning up the loose wires and hoses. Stole the mirrors off my magna. The look better than those sticking our the ends of the handle bars.

I was standing back looking it over and it just didn't look "right" to me.  I put the tank and the seat on it and had another look and it still looks funny. That huge tank and tiny seat make it look like a dwarf with a hunch back.

I am thinking of extending the frame back to at least the middle of the back wheel. What do you think?

Offline sport rider

« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2019, 09:40:49 AM »
I understand everything you are saying.  the single side tube can be homemade with an extra set of pipes, some cutting and welding.  it's a home-made deal as there's no aftermarket that does it.  Per others, this does NOT improve performance (and might even lessen it), but there's plenty of power for my needs and mine is as much an effort of looks.  (same approach for the pods i'm working with). 

you might try to find some aftermarket mufflers which are upswept rather than the stock ones.  I had an aftermarket can which I attached to the frame using one of the connection holes on the frame.  (can provide a pic if you want).  I bought it online to specific size and had a local muffler shop bend it to the angle which matched what I had the muffler set to.  it could be easily done on both sides to make a dual upswept exhaust.  I think that would look good if you got the right angle set.

as for the seat, I year you and am struggling with design on that part too.  I found out a few things.  first, I believe the frame tubing is slightly over 7/8 inches internal diameter.  I'm able to use one of the handlebar ends to slide inside it.  I am planning to cut the 7/8 ends off the stock bars and use that as a "slug" to slide into the frame tube and weld in place.  I've sourced some pipe which is 7/8 ID and 1 1/8 OD.  I plan to bend this into a loop for the back end which will align with the frame width.  then the 7/8 handlebar tube will slide into that and weld together.

once that part is done, I plan to fabricate a large hump on the back of the loop.  making it sufficiently large so as to match the look of the large tank.  hopefully that will balance it out a bit.  it's all about the look, so will see.  I'm including here a pic of a "model" I'm going off of.  I think it looks reasonable.  I know the guy which did this did a fiberglass build.  Once all that is done, I plan (I think) to use a cut down version of the stock seat pan and build up foam to match the angles I have in mind.  This can be custom covered.  I just need to work out a plan to attach the seat pan, using the front slide-in and fabricating a simple clip system for the back end of it.

once all that is done, I'll fabricate some simple mounting plates for the rear brake light, signals, and license bracket.  the guy who built the one in the pic used the original brake light and fabbed the rear hump around it.

gpineau

« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2019, 11:11:43 AM »
I like that look. It looks more balanced. And the seat looks more like a motorcycle seat. Mine looks like a bicycle seat.   The foam in the seat has been trimmed down. That makes it low enough I can hold it upright without tipping over. But still I need to stand on the balls of my feet.  I have a lowering kit still in a box that I was going to use on my other Connie but if in the end, if I like this bike better I will use the lowering links on this bike and sell the other. 

Just for fun I ordered a Cafe Racer seat from China just to see how it would look. It was only $30 son no big loss if I throw it away.

My tag, tail lights and turn signals are attached to an angle iron and that is welded to two pieces of pipe that slide into the back of the frame like a trombone. I have about 9 inches that I can experiment with.  To hold it in place I use the same bolts that hold the seat down. 

But seriously it looks weird. I know I am going to rework the tail end but I don't want to start anything until the side covers I ordered arrive. I liked the photo that MOB posted a few days ago. Naked but not completely. I liked that color too.

For mufflers I'm going to stick with what I got until I am convinced the bike is going to be a keeper.  Its been a depressing year but I am starting to enjoy this again.

Keep posting so I can copy what you're doing.. :thumbs:

Offline sport rider

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 07:32:26 AM »
here's a couple of how I framed in the back end.

Offline sport rider

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 07:51:22 AM »
Here's the results of my progress yesterday.  I asked a friend of mine to help me bend some tube to make the rounded back end so I could start thinking about the hump design.  he shot me an address and said he was heading that way to turn the heat on.  When I arrived, he was there but also a surprise guest.  The shop he told me to meet him at belongs to Ron Hornaday Jr.  Yep...the NASCAR Ron Hornaday Jr.  I was surprised to put it mildly.   Ron took a break from a racing frame that he was putting together and we all pretty much tore into my bike.  Ideas were flowing and at the end of the day, the picture is the result.  We were actually there for about 8 hours.  I keep pinching myself that I had all this great help!

Ron had some cheap rattle can paint sitting around his shop.  So we put a quick coat of black on the frame parts and he decided the gold on the rear cowl would match the tank.  well....almost.  :D

BTW....his shop?  about a 40 x 60 building.  early 70s dodge charger was up on a lift under a tarp.  below that was a modded frame from a Chevy Luv.  Beside that was a dirt late model track car up on a lift as well.  Then there was the body of the Chevy Luv that he's working on.  Next to that was his frame station which had an almost complete racing frame on it.  To the left coming around the shop were two other dirt track cars under covers.  one he was rebuilding for another driver, and one which is his son-in-law's who races regularly (it's off season, of course).

there's still a bit to do, but we've got everything roughed in.  Ron said to bring it back when I get closer to the finished product and we'd make some better parts, particularly the fender protection underneath.

#cloudnine

:banana

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2019, 08:40:39 AM »
Info on headers; I used these for about 3 years before giving them to Dave for his build.
Head pipes were Frankensteined from a set of Suzuki aftermarket headers and are made of SS.
 Head pipes are too big, so {in an attempt to gain low end} I machined SS anti-reversion venturi's for each head pipe.

The reason the pipes are wrapped is to cover the "Frankensteining", and because the tubing is very thin and big.
   Radiates a lot of heat, and is extremely close to fan and lower water lines.
    {The wrap was an attempt to reduce heat in those area's a bit}

No HP loss; Bike produced 94 peak HP on my dyno after the install. {2 HP over stock}
     Not much HP gain, but it had a nice smooth plot.
      As you might imagine, it lost some low end torque..

Muffler is a modified Kerker.
    Changed mounts and name tag to convert it from right side to left, and installed diverters inside to quieten it a bit.
    Was installed on the left vs right as I felt that it looked better on the left {and I wanted to be different}.
     NOTE: Dave moved the muffler up to this location for looks on this bike.
                Was in stock location when I had it. I like his idea.

Ride safe, Ted
« Last Edit: December 31, 2019, 08:28:34 AM by connie_rider »

gpineau

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2019, 09:08:46 AM »
What? "my dyno"!....You got a dyno? I'm jealous now. Let me see, ok?   I want one.