Author Topic: High power headligh replacement bulb for C10  (Read 17401 times)

Offline Mort Canard

High power headligh replacement bulb for C10
« on: September 07, 2014, 02:52:01 PM »
I just replaced my first headlight bulb on my old C10 and was wondering about getting a high power 100/80W bulb.  I know that these bulbs don't last as long but was wondering if there are any other issues when using a high power bulb on the C10.  Will the electrical system hand the extra wattage? Does the headlight housing safely handle the extra heat without damage? 

I tried looking for the info on the forum's search function but didn't find the answer. 
Little wheel turns by the fire and the rod.
Big wheel turns by the grace of god.
Every time that wheel comes round,
'Bound to cover just a little more ground.

Offline Summit670

Re: High power headligh replacement bulb for C10
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 04:08:37 PM »
If you run a higher wattage bulb I've read you should replace the connector or something like that because it will melt over time.  I suppose that depends upon how long you're running high beam and how warm it is outside.   

Here is something from murph but I was thinking it required a different connector or something.
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_92&products_id=102
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1_28&products_id=304

Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 04:23:38 PM »
I did the bulb upgrade that Murphskits sells, the Philips Vision +100 as detailed above.

Yes, it made a big difference, but it didn't last as long as I would have liked.  I've since replaced the bulb with another one I bought at WalMart.

Haven't tried the Murphs harness upgrade, but it sounds like a good idea.

There used to be a dual headlight kit for the C-10 on Murph's site, but I'm not seeing that at the moment.

2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:06 PM »
I just replaced my first headlight bulb on my old C10 and was wondering about getting a high power 100/80W bulb.  I know that these bulbs don't last as long but was wondering if there are any other issues when using a high power bulb on the C10.  Will the electrical system hand the extra wattage? Does the headlight housing safely handle the extra heat without damage? 

I tried looking for the info on the forum's search function but didn't find the answer.

Do not install a higher wattage bulb to the stock wiring, while it will work it will overburden the stock wiring and may cause you trouble down the road one day.... Much better off to install a separate relay with adequate sized wiring which is where the Concours is weak. The stock wiring harness is just marginal in size and if you take a meter to it you will notice that there even is some voltage drop between the battery and the light socket...
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline elvin315

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 02:37:27 PM »
Read the Lighting FAQ but the quick answer is a big NO on the higher wattage bulbs. They draw more current to make more light but at a price. A higher wattage bulb will draw that increased power through the same socket, wires, and relays designed for much less. Even a stock bulb can melt its socket and wiring if the contacts are corroded or dirty. A heat resistant Bakelite socket is available from NAPA (LS6235). Use it with dielectric grease to insure a good clean connection.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=570.0 (Lighting FAQ)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 05:22:57 PM »
I tried the 100/80 and they work, then I tried HID, now I can see:

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/HID55W%20%20Bi-Xenon%20Headlight.html
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »
What this guy says. I actually enjoy a night ride now and then now. The bulb upgrade didnt do it for me.
Wayne

I tried the 100/80 and they work, then I tried HID, now I can see:

http://web.ncf.ca/ag136/HID55W%20%20Bi-Xenon%20Headlight.html
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline wahrsuul

• This is personal, stop reading it!
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 04:06:50 AM »
From reading some lighting forums, apparently it's illegal in some places to run an HID bulb in a light that wasn't designed for it.  I know some of the "tuners" around here have annoyingly bright lights, like they have their high beams on all the time.  Great for them seeing, but blinding to everyone they're coming towards.

Of course, it's like a lot of things that are "illegal", they have to feel like stopping you and checking on it, or maybe need another reason to stop you first, so enforcement is spotty at best.
1999 C-10: Knee savers, Givi trunk, Rifle windshield, KB risers, K&N...and counting...

What did I do to deserve this life?  And how do I do it again?

Offline throb

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 04:33:58 AM »
HID bulbs are meant to be used in projector style housings to keep the light focused, not blinding others like wahrsuul says.

Although I haven't seen or heard anything good, bad, or otherwise about this product or company, I'm going to give this LED replacement a shot sometime.

http://www.light-pros.com/motorcycle-led-headlight-kit/
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 05:21:52 AM »
You can search this forum for HID discussions and installations and quite a few places.  I run HIDs and so do quite a few others.  I run the 35w 4200k kit which is very close to "daylight" white.  Others use the 55w kits that are even brighter.  My personal opinion is the farther you go left or right on the color chart, the higher possibility you have of being ticketed or rejected at inspection.  I've never had an issue.  We are lucky with the C10 in that it uses a glass lens and focuses the beam quite well (if not perfect).  No one has ever flashed their lights at me.

As far as I know (from reading on the net and talking to the VA inspection guy) it is "illegal" at the federal DOT level to just install into any headlight receptacle even though it is marked as the correct bulb type.  Its states basically that a headlight has to be made for an HID, tested, and then approved by the Federal DOT before being able to be sold as an official headlight product.  This is why many say "for off-road use only".  To do the install on our bike its almost plug and play - very simple.  Buy the car kit so you get an extra bulb and ballast.  If something goes wrong on the road and you are carrying your stock bulb, it is very simple to connect and reinstall it.

This is by far my favorite farkle (or at least second to my electric jacket liner).  I would highly recommend this one.  Plus, it is less strain on the electrical system.  Once you tryu one you will see how amazing it is.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline turbojoe78

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 06:48:51 AM »
+1

I'm running the 55watt, 4300K, VVME HID kit and would never go back to stock.

When adjusted right you will never have anyone flash you thinking you have your high beams on and the lighting you get is excellent.
2014 ZG1400 Concours COG memb# 8645

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 05:27:58 PM »
I tried the higher wattage bulbs and got mixed results.
Yes a bit brighter, and yes I melted the plug.
I suggest you buy Murphs relay kit and then get a better bulb.
Again, Murph has some good ones....
The relay kitcosts a bit more to do this,, but not all that expensive.
The best is prolly the HID. BUt the $$ increase significantly.

Ride safe, Ted

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 07:13:12 PM »
The HID kits are not all that expensive. I think mine was 30 -40 . Best thing I ever did to my bike. VVME kit? Been about 4 years so not sure.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 05:17:23 AM »
I have the VVME bi-xenon kit also (uses magnetics to move the filament) and it is going on about 5 years of trouble free use.  Now that I said it, it will probably go out on the way home today.  I got the dual car kit for about $70 delivered back then.  I think they are about $50 delivered now, with the single bulb kits even cheaper.  That puts it at maybe only $25 more than a "deluxe" bulb and puts out substantially more light (and a coolness factor) without taxing the system.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »
I was thinking of installing a HID kit on my 91 Connie.  I have limited  knowledge of  anything electrical. Is it very difficult to install? Does the reserve lighting switch a problem ?

RFH87_Connie

Is this the kit you mentioned : http://www.vvme.com/hid-headlights/bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit/h4-3-9003-bi-xenon-hid-kit/12v-50-55w-h4-3-9003-bi-xenon-hid-conversion-kit

Also is it better to get a slim kit or not?

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 12:24:22 PM »
That is pretty much the same kit I have except mine is just 35w (which is way brighter than stock).  I also selected 4300k as the color/temp.  It's a pretty simple thing to install.  Basically you plug the HID harness into the headlight socket and run positive and negative lines to your battery, but you just hook up one ballast and one bulb.  No wires were cut.  The slim ballast is not necessary as there is plenty of space to cable-tie the ballast behind the fairing somewhere.  Mine is hooked to the fairing frame by the flasher module.  Mine ('87) has the reserve lighting feature and I never did anything about it and have had no problems.  I does make a slight buzz and slightly lights the white "Headlamp" indicator.  I think Dayona Mike found a fix for this, but I never pursued it as I think it mean't cutting a wire (do a search for it).  When I do this on my other bike ('87 also) I may have to address this, as all of the dash lights are LEDs so the indicator would be full bright.

Just do it - you will be impressed!

Offline sq61708

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 03:22:02 PM »
Thanks for the reply.  I think I'll go for it.  It will make riding more fun. I work 12 hrs shifts and pretty soon my travel to work will be in the dark morning and night so this will greatly help make it safer.

Offline Mort Canard

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »
Thanks folks!  I will look into the HID kit  and till then stick with the standard 55/60w H4 bulb. 
Little wheel turns by the fire and the rod.
Big wheel turns by the grace of god.
Every time that wheel comes round,
'Bound to cover just a little more ground.

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2014, 08:24:38 AM »
and puts out substantially more light (and a coolness factor) without taxing the system.
I've got the "coolness factor" maxed out with an LED headlight.  GENSSI makes an H4 plug and play LED replacement headlight that fits quite nicely into the C10.  And when you switch to high beam, the low beam stays on throwing substantially more light down the road.  40W draw at high beam.  No "warm up" time like an HID.  (I know that is only an issue when you first start the bike.)  Completely solid state with no moving parts.  (Well, there is a fan for the heat sink, but I don't know how necessary it is on a bike anyway) 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157