Author Topic: Winterizing fuel system  (Read 5146 times)

Offline amigoride

Winterizing fuel system
« on: November 07, 2012, 03:06:19 PM »
I may be a little lazy and/or naive but for the last several years all I have done is add fuel stabilizer to the tank (Sta-bil, Seafoam.....)
fill with gas and run for a few minutes until the stabilized fuel fills the carb bowls. It may have the 2k RPM stutter at first in the spring but the Seafoam seems to clean things up and she runs strong after that.
Should I be draining the carbs? What is the easiest way to get at the drain screws and drain off the fuel?
Of course I change the oil, wash the bike, pull the battery, and cover the girl up.

Thoughts....?

Offline Summit670

Re: Winterizing fuel system
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2012, 03:21:52 PM »
I drain carbs using 5mm allen socket and an extension for the ratchet.  To keep from making too big of mess, I use long handled needle nose pliers to push a small drain hose onto the drain of each carb, then drain it into a white cool-whip container so I can see if anything comes out besides fuel.

I use Stabil in the fuel and add the correct amount for 7.5 gallons (when the tank is low or almost on reserve) and go to the fuel station and top off the tank, mixing using the pressure from the nozzle, then I ride it a good 5-10 miles to make sure it fills the bowls because I generally don't drain the bowls for winter because I'll take the bike out once or twice a month if the roads are clear of ice, snow, water.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2012, 08:42:59 PM by Summit670 »
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »
I fill the tank, drain the bowls (leaving the drains open) and cover. Come spring, sometimes I remember to close the drains.
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline tweeter55

• Arena
  • Ride Hard...Ride Safe
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 05:40:27 AM »
 :rotflmao: I don't care what anybody says, that's funny right there. Been there...Done that. :rotflmao:
Over the years:       1972 Harley Rapido
1972 Suzuki T350R  1979 BMW R100RT
1987 Honda Helix.    2006 Kawasaki Concours

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 06:20:25 AM »
What is winterizing the fuel system?  :stirpot:

Offline Mettler1

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
What is winterizing the fuel system?  :stirpot:
  Add some blackberry brandy. :chugbeer:
'94 Concours 112,000 miles-- 7th gear,2MM,KB fork brace,Over flowtubes,Stick coils,Tcro shifter,GPS,Torque cams,SPOOKFAK,block off plates, SS brake & clutch lines,KB risers, FENDA EXTENDA, emulators,etc

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 11:58:57 AM »
Do yourself a favor.....don't add seafoam to the fuel, and let it sit in the carbs over winter......Bubba Steve and I both concur that we have seen more problems with rubber float needles on bikes that have sat for extended periods with Seafoam, and/or Berrymans B12 cocktails.
Those treatments are designed to be added, and run thru the system, and completely use the fuel up, while "cleaning" deposits. Neither is a long term storage chemical.

Add Stabil, I'll even go as far as say to use the new Marine Grade Stabil, it's bluish color, and works better with the ethanol fuel we have.

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2012, 03:10:58 PM »
Do yourself a favor.....don't add seafoam to the fuel, and let it sit in the carbs over winter......Bubba Steve and I both concur that we have seen more problems with rubber float needles on bikes that have sat for extended periods with Seafoam, and/or Berrymans B12 cocktails.
Those treatments are designed to be added, and run thru the system, and completely use the fuel up, while "cleaning" deposits. Neither is a long term storage chemical.

Add Stabil, I'll even go as far as say to use the new Marine Grade Stabil, it's bluish color, and works better with the ethanol fuel we have.

This^.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline ARS

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2012, 03:55:43 PM »
On previous bikes I never used stable or seafoam.  I keep the battery on a tender and start it up once a week or so. Never had a problem.

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2012, 05:47:33 PM »
I have always used Stabil with good results. Last year for some stupid reason I just drained the carbs on my Z1. Bad,bad idea.
Wayne
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline 2fast

• COG #6497, North Central Area Director
    • C-10 Heat Shield photos
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2012, 09:01:07 PM »
I don't like the idea of everything drying out in the carbs if the bowls are drained, with the potential for a skin forming in a small hole. I store with a full tank, with TCW3 and some stabil added. I also like to make that last fill with non oxy fuel, but don't always manage to get that part done.
Brian in Minnesota
Red hair and black leather, my favorite color scheme. Richard Thompson

Need Heat Shields for the C-10? 86-93 Front Brake upgrade brackets?  I got em! Click the little green globe under my Avatar on the left.

Offline Summit670

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2012, 10:37:00 AM »
I agree, I don't like leaving carbs sit dry for fear the rubber parts will dry out.

When I cleaned my carbs one time I left them on the bench for a week or so and the original carb bowl gaskets seeped when first installed, then after they sat a while they sealed up.  Later I ordered a complete set of needle valves and bowl gaskets and replaced them.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline dvitous

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2012, 10:49:46 AM »

Add me to that list  :(

Ran into a decapitated float needle last year.  Got me to work fine one day.  Going home?  Not pretty.

More <> better in this regard.

That said... I gassed up in Nov... with the intention of getting more riding in, and didn't.  Haven't Sta-bilized yet either...but at least the tank is topped off?

Maybe I'll do that this weekend  ::)
Dan Vitous
Naperville, IL

Offline hlh1

• COG #548
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2012, 05:08:43 PM »
I've been draining my carbs every winter using a 3mm allen wrench on my 86, 91, and now 99 C10.  I'll also drain them any time I let the bike sit more than 2 weeks.  I've never had carb problems and each bike had over 75k on them.  Guess I've been lucky.  The one time I left gas in the 86 over a winter taught me to never do that again. 
COG #548
My bikes:  Suzuki 06 WeeStrom, Kawasaki 09 C14 ABS, 83 Suzuki GS1100ED,

Offline Bart

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 10:59:13 PM »
I hunt down ethanol free gas so that my tank only contains it and is full, add stablizer, warm up the bike for an oil change and then drain the float bowls. So far so good after 6 years.