Author Topic: '41 feet of freedom  (Read 5317 times)

Son of Pappy

'41 feet of freedom
« on: May 28, 2014, 09:53:50 PM »
Continuing my theme of life after existence I decided to put off the foundation for one year and bought a toy hauler.  Working on first trip planning, wife still works (someone has to pay the bills) so it really comes down to her getting vacation time approved for a time I am not busy riding ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: '41 feet of freedom
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 10:05:01 PM »
OH MY thats nice, CONGRATS!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
So, ideas from a motorcycle mind.  I have a new CEM lift, almost a shoe in IMHO, thinking smaller roll around tool chest, and small air compressor.  Also a small chest freezer and dorm fridge in the garage.  Banners and posters inside the garage for atmosphere (amyone have any they want to donate?).  I will also have a pair of boot and glove dryers and a bench for putting on gear (outside shower).
I would like ideas from here, the Trailer forums seem stuck in a common rut, so I would like fresh ideas.  All my "spare" money is gone, so frugal is the phrase word.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:09 AM »
Sweet!

You're gonna have some issues pulling that with your Jetta though...     ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Son of Pappy

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 07:34:11 AM »
Sweet!

You're gonna have some issues pulling that with your Jetta though...     ;)
I'll use the green upsized version made in Canada model ;D  First On Retired Day  8)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 07:39:37 AM »
 :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2014, 07:06:20 AM »
I'll use the green upsized version made in Canada model ;D  First On Retired Day  8)

:)

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Nosmo

• "We're all in this together." - Red Green
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2014, 08:12:40 AM »
Cripes, that baby is bigger than my house, by one foot.
A life undreamed is a waste.  A dream unlived is a sin.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 06:05:57 AM »
Where's the pics with your toys all loaded up?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2014, 08:27:24 AM »
Where's the pics with your toys all loaded up?
I don't have it yet, the guy is awaiting title from the bank.  What is a bummer?  I will be on the road for the next 2 weeks so I won't even have the chance to roll a bike in until my next ride :(

Offline Conrad

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »
Triple axels, that thing is a monster C! What did you say you were towing it with?

Lightly modded F250 Super Duty with the 7.3 smoker.  Border line weight once the bikes are all loaded, and over weight once I fill her up with fuel and water, which will be just before I get wherever I am going.  Sure wish he would get in the title so I can pull her home :)

Have you towed it with the Ford yet?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 11:26:44 AM »
Not yet, but I have pulled some hellashish loads. Biggest to date?  All the material for a 2 story, 12x26 storage shed including metal roof.  Didn't even sneeze.  Also pulled a 36 foot trailer with 22 dirt bikes inside.

If I do have issues?  Winner winner, new to me (it will be a 7.3) Ford F350 dually.  My only concern is stabillity, power is not an issue.  I will be adding airbags for load leveling.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 11:47:30 AM »
Not yet, but I have pulled some hellashish loads. Biggest to date?  All the material for a 2 story, 12x26 storage shed including metal roof.  Didn't even sneeze.  Also pulled a 36 foot trailer with 22 dirt bikes inside.

If I do have issues?  Winner winner, new to me (it will be a 7.3) Ford F350 dually.  My only concern is stabillity, power is not an issue.  I will be adding airbags for load leveling.

+1 on getting the leveling bags, they work awesome, that's what I did on my 250 for pulling our 5th wheel, they work great!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

Offline Conrad

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2014, 04:46:16 AM »

Nearly every triple axel 5th wheel that I've seen being pulled was towed with a dually. I was just wondering how your truck did.

I didn't need any air bags to level out my '03 Silverado (2500 HD Duramax/Allison). Even with the 5th wheel loaded the ass end of that pick-up is still higher than the front by a wide margin.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2014, 06:21:43 AM »
It's nice I guess, but I just can't see "freedom" in something that requires a huge 4 wheel vehicle to tow it. It seems more like a boat anchor to me. Just my opinion, hope you enjoy it.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."