Author Topic: Linked Brakes Fixed  (Read 71597 times)

Offline seagiant

Re: Linked Brakes Fixed
« Reply #140 on: October 30, 2016, 08:36:22 AM »
This mod has no impact on ABS function.

Hi,
        Thanks!

That was my problem, with other "solutions"!

I want this bike to have all the "safety" from the factory, it came with!!! 8)

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #141 on: November 01, 2016, 06:59:12 AM »
Hi,
        Thanks!

That was my problem, with other "solutions"!

I want this bike to have all the "safety" from the factory, it came with!!! 8)

Hey, my bike didn't come with those "safety" options!

Offline Freddy

« Reply #142 on: July 16, 2017, 12:02:55 AM »
I've managed to 'rehost' the pix in reply 136 above which went missing due to Photobucket holding us to ransom.
The best substitute for brains is .............what?

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #143 on: July 16, 2017, 02:37:15 AM »
I've managed to 'rehost' the pix in reply 136 above which went missing due to Photobucket holding us to ransom.

If you upload the photos to the forum, then they will never go missing (they are still externally hosted).  Unless, of course, the forum itself goes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #144 on: July 16, 2017, 06:40:56 AM »

Thanks Freddy

Offline roy826

« Reply #145 on: July 18, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
Thanks Freddy you just gave me a winter time project on my 2012.

I priced out the parts through Honda East in Toledo for around $80 shipped including the fender loop line clamps, brake line and a bunch of brake line washers.

I hate the linked braking on the Concours it is terrible IMO.
2012 Concours 14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #146 on: July 18, 2017, 03:12:41 PM »
Thanks Freddy you just gave me a winter time project on my 2012.

I priced out the parts through Honda East in Toledo for around $80 shipped including the fender loop line clamps, brake line and a bunch of brake line washers.

I hate the linked braking on the Concours it is terrible IMO.

My goodness.   You must not have read this... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22616.msg280210#msg280210

If you had, you wouldn't be saying that.  I think that most would agree with your thoughts on the linked braking.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline roy826

« Reply #147 on: July 18, 2017, 04:48:30 PM »
My goodness.   You must not have read this... http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=22616.msg280210#msg280210

If you had, you wouldn't be saying that.  I think that most would agree with your thoughts on the linked braking.

I've only had a Concours for little over 3 weeks. But I have been riding and racing motorcycles for 40+ years and I think I know when brakes suck. And the Concours linked braking is terrible. Yes it will stop in a straight line very well but it's a dance of off balance unpredictable things going on that the real rider has no real control over. I become the link trying to unlink the crap through years of what I've mastered in extreme usage of brakes on a Motorcycle. I do not mind abs when it works like it should nor do I dislike linked braking systems that work inna seamless manner. Case in point the systems found on Yamaha streetbikes with linked brake systems. Those systems work well and go virtually unoticed by the rider.

The Kawasaki system is flawed if you trail brake to the apex of turns. The nose diving grabby front end is a disaster waiting to happen. I'll de-link mine and it'll be a fine sport tourer then.
2012 Concours 14

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #148 on: July 18, 2017, 05:04:45 PM »
 :thumbs:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #149 on: July 18, 2017, 05:11:55 PM »
The Kawasaki system is flawed if you trail brake to the apex of turns. The nose diving grabby front end is a disaster waiting to happen. I'll de-link mine and it'll be a fine sport tourer then.

It is funny how just a little bit of programming can mess something up.  Too bad we don't have a way to flash the ABS computer to change the values so the linking ratios could be altered.  I am not sure if it is even reprogrammable, though; it might have no interface to the outside world or the tables could be ROM (physically not changeable).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Freddy

« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2017, 08:59:53 PM »
Lousy shot of the ABS wiring but terminal plug 5 is for 'interface to the outside world' via KDS3. 

Though this is of the gen 1 system, gen 2 also has the connector.

Offline BrissyGTR

« Reply #151 on: August 14, 2017, 10:35:29 PM »
I have one Freddy.

A link to the 2010 manual is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/Concours14/files/

Offline Freddy

« Reply #152 on: August 15, 2017, 12:58:11 AM »
I have one Freddy.

A link to the 2010 manual is here https://www.facebook.com/groups/Concours14/files/

Me too - in print, plus the series 1 on CD.

How do you find/like the de-linked brakes on your bike?  Or did you put it back to stock?

Offline TAL2013C14

« Reply #153 on: August 11, 2018, 08:49:41 PM »
+1

Here's what I posted on another forum.

The linked brakes can be disabled quite easily.  I did it recently on my new-to-me 2011.  Using the cross-over hose and the 2-hose banjo bolt from the right caliper of the earlier non-linked bike, connect the right caliper to the left caliper using that new hose and bolt to the left caliper.  The displaced hose banjo to the right caliper must be capped/blocked and cable tied for security - I tied it to the reflector mount.  I used a 3/8" (10mm) bolt and nylock nut, 2 sealing washers and thread tape on the bolt (just to help seal the thread) and new sealing washers on all loosened joints and flushed/bled the entire system.  Test ride and examine all connections closely for any signs of leakage and ensure that you have a full and firm brake lever and pedal, indicating no air in the system, and that brake performance is as normal as before - except for the linked brake function obviously. If this procedure is followed correctly and done by a competent person, the rider will be happy with the result (I was) and the ABS K-ACT system will be none the wiser (as mine was) and the ABS will function as normal.

However, do the above at your own risk.   ;)   I gleaned this procedure from old posts on this and/or other forums quite some time ago.  I had a 2008 bike and didn't like the linked system on the later model either so I reverted to the earlier system.  I have read that the current/new model's linked brake system is unobtrusive after K 'retuned' it.

I finally took the time to read this entire thread, and I'm here to say thank you all who have worked to defeat the terrible Kawasaki linked braking system.
Wish I would have read through it when I bought the bike last year!
Freddy, I will be installing your mod to my 2013 as soon as I can get the parts.
Thanks again! :)

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #154 on: August 11, 2018, 11:14:17 PM »
thank you all who have worked to defeat the terrible Kawasaki linked braking system.

I wouldn't characterize it as "terrible" (especially with the recent revision to the linking programming) but having no "off" option is very unfortunate.  I simply don't understand that.... especially since it would have cost nothing and [IMHO] cause zero liability or safety issues.  To those who would ague that last part- the traction control has an "off" and there are at least as many good reasons one might want brake linking off (far, far, far fewer regarding ABS, though).  Me?  I would have it "on" anyway (and in the low-linked mode, which is what I use now), but that would be my choice because that is my riding preference.  Choice is always good.

This was/is a great thread with lots of useful info to help those who want that missing "off" (albeit it a "permanent" off).

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #155 on: August 12, 2018, 09:31:41 AM »
TAL2013C14 / all, there is an EZ way to defeat the problem with the linked brakes on the earlier systems.
Just don't use the rear brake...…
Because of the link, using the front lever only, applies all the rear brake you need.

It's a simple solution that works perfectly.

Ride safe, Ted

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #156 on: August 12, 2018, 09:53:35 AM »
TAL2013C14 / all, there is an EZ way to defeat the problem with the linked brakes on the earlier systems.
Just don't use the rear brake...…
Because of the link, using the front lever only, applies all the rear brake you need.

It's a simple solution that works perfectly.

It is what I do, but some people want more manual control.  I completely understand why someone might want an "off".
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 07:07:05 PM by maxtog »

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #157 on: August 12, 2018, 06:19:45 PM »
Maxtog, I think your indicating that you use the rear brake pedal to do Trail braking?
That is a common misconception. {I once thought the same}

Trail braking actually uses the front brake lever...
   Our Linked brakes work fine, but non Linked brakes use the front brake only.
       Watch the video in this discussion...
http://forum.cog-online.org/motorcycle-safety/trail-braking-video/msg645728/#msg645728

Ride safe, Ted

Offline Freddy

« Reply #158 on: August 12, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
TAL, the genuine K hose from the series 1 bike to connect the 2 front calipers is NLA (no longer available) I believe.  Use an aftermarket hose with 30-45 degree bends on the banjo ends.  Double banjo bolts and new washers are also readily available.

PS - I ride with BrissyGTR occasionally - he loves the de-linked brakes.

Online maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #159 on: August 12, 2018, 07:06:03 PM »
Maxtog, I think your indicating that you use the rear brake pedal to do Trail braking?

I did mispeak [and corrected], thanks for the info!  It appears I do partially trail-brake but didn't really know it.  What I don't do, is ever use the rear brake pedal (on any bike; never have).  Of course, on the Gen 2, that doesn't mean I am not using the rear, since they are linked.  I just recognize and appreciate that some people would want full manual control (even if I don't, and perhaps don't completely understand it :) )