Author Topic: Noob tire thread....  (Read 4782 times)

Offline BrianM

Noob tire thread....
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:53:56 AM »
I know...   :deadhorse:  I've been on the receiving end of these questions frequently enough, but they're only annoying when you Know the tires.

So, requirements, priority #1 is long life.  I'm a firm believer that even "hard" cruiser/touring tires have more than enough grip to drag pegs..  mostly because I've done it.  I don't need, or want to pay for, tires that can be used on the racetrack.  Is it possible to get 20k+ out of a front and 15k+ out of a rear (before hitting the TWIs)?

#2 is rain/wet road performance...  I live in Georgia, we have just a little precip here.  I've ridden some (Pirelli something or other) that treated a little ground water like a patch of ice.  I'd like to avoid that

#3 is turn-in feel.  I don't particularly enjoy lots of effort for turn-in.  I know that sacrifices straight line stability and May be at odds with my #1 up there.

I'd like to stick with tires that correctly fit the OEM rims too.  Based on my initial research, the Avon Venoms seem to be a front-runner.  I happen to be a HUGE Avon fan too... hey, I even got sponsorship for a shared race team from Avon in '97 or '98 (can't remember anymore) When the Azaro was released.  Seems like most Connie tire threads are talking about tires that are better suited for sport bikes/track days than, well... I guess I see the Connie as a "tourer-sport" bike. 

So, thoughts on what might best fit my wants? 

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
Re: Noob tire thread....
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 08:48:35 AM »
Brian, I have a friend who is running the Avon Venom on the rear in the 160/80/16 size. We installed the Avon Storm Ultra on the front in the 110/80/18 size. He did not want the heavy slow steering feel of the gold wing size front tire. His bike rides and steers very well. The Venom rear and the Storm Ultra front get along very well together. I run the same front tire along with the Azaro rear, the Storm Ultra is an excellent front tire, great feel, precise quick steering, very good grip and very good mileage. I'm not going with the Venom rear on my bike as I have a 17 inch rear wheel with a Storm Ultra rear ready to go on my 2006 as soon as I wear out the Azaro I have on the rear of my scoot right now. I'm preparing for a 6 week tour and I'm just tired of never being able to find a rear tire when out on the road. I can usually find a Metzler 880 but I really don't like that tire at all.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline kzz1king

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 09:24:56 AM »
Roadhound could be talking about me! I went from a too tall Metz 880 out front and stock size 880 rear to the Pilot and Venom mentioned above. I put about 16000 on the 880's and the front still looked good.  Mileage aside I love the Avon's. I am not a knee dragger but I never felt as confident on the 880's as I do these. The other thing is that although the front Metz looked and felt ok the bike had developed a bad headshake that tightening front bearings didnt cure. A tire that has a lot of miles left but makes the bike handle like crap are no longer for me. If I get some decent milage out of the Avons I will be using them again.
2010 CONCOURS
1974 Z-1

Offline Strawboss

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 10:36:53 AM »
I currently run the wing size Metzlers, and have been since replacing the original OEM's. I'm planning on replacing them with the Avon's mentioned, so it looks like you will do ok from the feedback so far.
COG 5852-AMA Life 302525-NRA 9098599-SASS
2001 Concours-1982 KZ550A-1979 Triumph Bonneville-1995 Honda SA50

Offline RiderRich

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 05:23:50 AM »
I like a handling tire. Is the Avon combination still the best deal for this. Or are any new tires like this new pilot 3's I've heard about available now. Sorry I haven't been ont the site in quite a while. These are probelbly answered. But I'm kind of computer challanged. I can never find andthing in the search area. I guess i've never been on this site. Last time it was under another website. But I recognize names, so I know I must be in the right place. I more of a lurker . Then from time to time I get involved.
2005 Concours

Offline mr t

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 07:11:47 AM »
BrianM- I'm on my third set of Dunlop E3 bias tires. I got 21.5K from the first set-20.5K from the second set. I'm not an agressive rider but not a slowpoke either. Very happy with these tires!

Tom Taylor COG#7173

Offline BrianM

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 07:17:24 AM »
Thanks, those were on my radar too...  but as much as I love Avon, I dislike Dunrock...er, Dunflop...  I mean Dunlops.  Long history of Really crappy tires from that company.  Granted, that was on the sport side of things, but first (and big) impressions are hard to ignore. 

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 12:04:54 PM »
I have a 110/80zr18 PR3 up front. Very nice handling tire, s'posed to last 10-13000 miles. Not exactly what you're looking for, but I don't think what you're looking for exists.  I used to run Metzeler 880, got 29,xxx on the front. I will not go back to the Metzeler.

I'm running a Wing size Pilot GT on the rear, I like the tire, it's my last one. It's been discontinued.
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline George R. Young

• Concours 2001 Farkles
65 CB160 (67-69), 69 350GTR (69-72), 72 R5, 73 RD350 (73-84), 82 XZ550 Vision (84-03), 01 Concours C10 (03-19), 89 EX250 (11-14), 00 SV650S (14-16), 03 SV650S (19-)

Offline BrianM

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 12:38:35 PM »
Found that earlier, thanks.  It's fairly incomplete when it comes to mileage people see out of the tires.  I know that's a loaded question as 2 riders can easily get the extremes with only differing riding styles, but frugal people tend to flock to frugal vehicles/tires/etc.... 

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 02:52:11 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:07:42 PM by knight_mare »

Offline Ron Moss

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 03:46:59 PM »
Just for info I've have run the dunflops hated them, Avons, good tire short life, poor quality control. I've run two sets of Bridgestones  BT45's. I got 9000 miles out of a rear.  I just put on a Excedra Max stock size 150/80/16 rear tire. It looks like the BT45. It is a bias tire but is belted. I only have about 1000 miles on it so far but really like the tire. Seems to handle like the BT45, maybe a little more stable. Hoping to get more mileage out of it.   

Offline BrianM

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »
Short life on Avons tends to be related to low pressure.  We ran into that when using them as race tries (and they get Really greasy too), ended up in a crashed bike too.  A call to our rep and he suggested nearly doubling the pressures we were running (Dunflops ran okay in the mid 20's on race bikes).  Most need at least 40psi to run correctly, less than that and the mileage suffers.  I've seen it first-hand on friends bikes a dozen different times (they never expect me to whip out a pressure gauge...  haha!)

Most Avons, with good pressure, last a long time. 

And see, told ya I was an Avon fanboi...  making excuses.  :)  I've got a 120/90-18 Venom in a shopping basket just waiting on the first of the month right now. 

Offline Uded2me

This forum is dead dead dead
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 11:22:29 PM »
d e a d
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 09:07:48 PM by knight_mare »

Offline BrianM

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 06:14:37 AM »
The 94+ bikes have a 3.0 inch front rim, and  the recommended rim size by Avon for their Venom in 120/90-18 is 2.75"

http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/sites/default/files/Venom%20Datasheet_3.pdf

While the tire does have a 108mm aspect ratio, the only noticeable "negative" is more relaxed handling.  But then again, since the bike is new to me, I'm never going to notice anyway (and it's not a sports bike, so I don't need to try and make it handle like one).  Should provide added ride comfort though since tires are the first part of any vehicles suspension....

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2011, 06:43:48 AM »
 FYI    I put BT-45's on last re-shoe.  Not a good C-10 tire IMHO. They're OK but I liked the Pilot GT's best so far- to bad they're discontinued.

Offline ATC Buckeye

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 07:43:32 AM »
I currently use the Avon Storm/Azaro combo.  I like the handling everywhere except on the highway.  I get some of that riding-on-ball-bearings sensation on the highway.  A squirmy sensation if you will.  Considering I live in NE Ohio (flat and straight) I'm going to try the E3's next.  Hopefully they will be a bit more settled on the slab.  My HD riding buddy just put them on his ElectraGlide and likes them so far.

Offline Roadhound

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 08:22:12 AM »
The 94+ bikes have a 3.0 inch front rim, and  the recommended rim size by Avon for their Venom in 120/90-18 is 2.75"

While the tire does have a 108mm aspect ratio, the only noticeable "negative" is more relaxed handling.  But then again, since the bike is new to me, I'm never going to notice anyway (and it's not a sports bike, so I don't need to try and make it handle like one).  Should provide added ride comfort though since tires are the first part of any vehicles suspension....

I've a feeling that you may run into some clearance issues between the tire and fender. Your speedometer will also read slow. One of the nice things about running the 110/80/18 tire on the front of the later model bikes is it corrects the speedometer reading to pretty near spot on.
Don Ricks
Atlanta, Ga.

"Ride or Ride not, there is no drive."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2011, 03:37:55 PM »
FYI    I put BT-45's on last re-shoe.  Not a good C-10 tire IMHO. They're OK but I liked the Pilot GT's best so far- to bad they're discontinued.

I just got a set of the Shinko SR733/734 tires onto mine.  I had the 734 rear with a 757 front, and it was a good combo, but they discontinued the 757 because of some serious issues.  (Treads delaminating from the carcass)  The 777 (front and rear) is supposed to be the replacement, but they weren't both available yet when I was ordering.

So far, I like the 733/734 combo.  The bike feels similar to what it was with the GTs.  But I've only got 300 miles on the front, so I haven't started pushing them yet.  The tread design does seem old, though.  When I use these up, I hope to get a set of the 777s and see how they fare.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2011, 05:39:41 PM »
I currently use the Avon Storm/Azaro combo.  I like the handling everywhere except on the highway.  I get some of that riding-on-ball-bearings sensation on the highway.  A squirmy sensation if you will.

+1 on that. I live in NE GA and ride the mountains and curvy two lanes a lot. Love those Avons untill it's getting late and I've got to make time down the interstate. Then I don't necessarily like them. I have noticed though that when I'm the only one on the road they're not bad at 70-80. Add a truck, camper, or even a few cars and it's a little more interesting.
2014 C-14 Red