Author Topic: filling the handle bars  (Read 6456 times)

Offline buzz

filling the handle bars
« on: January 10, 2012, 06:22:56 PM »
Does any one have insight on the process on filling the handles bars? I read somewhere that filling the handle bars with caulking and BB's could just about eliminate all vibration. Looking for info from someone thats done or knows about this mod.
Thanks,
Buzz

Offline throb

Re: filling the handle bars
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 03:31:08 AM »
I used #9 bird shot.  Remove bar end weight, remove handle bar and place it so the bolt hole which holds the bar end weight is up, and use a small funnel to fill the bar.  Each side held somewhere around 10 oz. of shot.  It wasn't necessary (at least for me) to caulk the end after putting the shot inside since the bar was upright and I put the end weight/allen bolt back in while it was in this position.  I used #9 shot since it's lots smaller than BB and would take up more of the interior volume of the bar.  It made a noticeable improvement.
'05 Concours, SISF's 2 min jet mod and exhaust cam sprocket, snarf's block off plates, risers, SS lines, fork brace, T-Cro's stick coils & shift linkage, ZZR1200 rear shock, MS rear wheel.

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 04:56:17 AM »
I have not done this to the C-10, but have done this with other bikes with great results.  I usually put in the bird shot, pack in some rubber pieces from old grips, a little more bird shot, then install the bar ends.
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline Two Skies

• Arena
  • Road? What road?!?
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2012, 04:58:21 AM »
I used kitty litter...

Anyways, I popped off the caps on the inside ends of the bars, used a paper 'funnel' to guide the fill in a bit at a time, tamped it in with a suitably long bolt, and then added more fill, tamped again, etc. until the bar was pretty much full.  At this point, I caulked inside the bar (to hold the kitty litter in place), replaced the cap and I was done.  No removal of the handlebar was necessary for this.

I'm sure you could use a similar procedure for shot, I just didn't have any on hand.
2006 w/50,000+ miles and a few bruises.

MCL Fork Brace & Handlebar Risers.  Bergmen Quick Release Tank Kit, Pilot GT Front/Avon Venom Rear tire.  Trunk w/spoiler.  NGK DR8EIX plugs.  Piece of foam in airbox.  Beads on seat.  Bafflectomized.  Murphs Kneesavers & Fuse Block.  Cee Bailey Winscreen w/vent.  Heated grips.  'Custom' mirrors.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2012, 06:20:33 AM »
The smaller the LEAD shot and the more tightly packed the better the results would/will be.... If the shot is not packed solid it too can rattle and perhaps make matters worse. If anyone knows someone who melts down lead for casting their own bullets you could easily have your bars poured solid with molten lead this would be the best you could ask for.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline kbecker3

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2012, 06:48:38 AM »
I tried sand. I dont think it worked well though. May have to try lead, guessing the heavier the better?
2005 concours

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2012, 07:27:40 AM »
I tried sand. I dont think it worked well though. May have to try lead, guessing the heavier the better?

Yes; the heavier the better....
Tony P. Crochet

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2012, 08:41:06 AM »
I think I posted pics here a couple months ago, but I have a fully rubber isolated handlebar mount on Shoodaben. Wow, that's sweet! I am trying to do production on it, but so far the fellow who is supposed to do the manufacturing has had excuses, not parts. I'm working on it... Steve

Here's another pic

Offline buzz

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2012, 10:42:46 AM »
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I've got options to pick from now.

Offline mjrfd99

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »
I put shot in years ago but removed it when I was getting lead dust leaking out.  :o
Plug the end w/silicone and it might stop that.

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
One more suggestion that worked very well for me.  I removed the plastic caps from the inside of the handle bars and pressed in a chunk of grounding rod. The rod is slightly oversized so measure carefully. Once it is pressed in it could prove interesting to remove.  I wish I had kept my measurements; overall the ground rod adds close to 1/2lb to each bar.
I would like to drive the rods out this winter and fill them with molten lead.  Cold rolled steel (ground rod) has a specific gravity of 7.83 while lead is 11.35
A person would end up with some serious bar weight with them filled with lead.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2012, 03:35:22 PM »
The bike is in the garage right now  for some home servicing, valve adj, brake pads, 4" stock spring cuoff mod.
Thought I would fill the bars with something since I will have them off for a couple of days.

Snarf, did you get my paypal for a set of your block off plates?

Buzz

Offline Tele130

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
One more suggestion that worked very well for me.  I removed the plastic caps from the inside of the handle bars and pressed in a chunk of grounding rod. The rod is slightly oversized so measure carefully. Once it is pressed in it could prove interesting to remove.  I wish I had kept my measurements; overall the ground rod adds close to 1/2lb to each bar.
I would like to drive the rods out this winter and fill them with molten lead.  Cold rolled steel (ground rod) has a specific gravity of 7.83 while lead is 11.35
A person would end up with some serious bar weight with them filled with lead.

Do you melt lead? :stirpot: ;D
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2012, 03:12:13 PM »
I haven't tried this, but in another application with the same goal in mind, they used green sand not just sand.  Green sand is just really fine sand (silica sand - the stuff you use for concrete) mixed with a percentage of sifted molding clay and enough oil to make it hold its shape.  Food for thought for the next experimenter.  I have atv bars that I welded nuts on the end of and installed the factory bar end weights.  With gel grips covered eith grip puppies, I have no perceptible vibration in the bars.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline Tele130

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2012, 06:36:08 PM »
I think I posted pics here a couple months ago, but I have a fully rubber isolated handlebar mount on Shoodaben. Wow, that's sweet! I am trying to do production on it, but so far the fellow who is supposed to do the manufacturing has had excuses, not parts. I'm working on it... Steve

Here's another pic

Hey Steve,
  I'm really intrestered in this mod of yours. I have a good friend on the ZRX board that makes clamps for the ZRX. He makes all kinds of products for the Rex. If you want to contact him about this project let me know.  :thumbs:
Does this mean we get a "Re-Do" on life too?

Doug Colton
2006 Concours............nice ride!!!!!

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2012, 07:00:58 PM »
Just to throw a little more out there.  Several years back had Helibars on and came up with something that would allow me to slip into bars thru the threaded bar end weight holes and use what I had on hand.  Cut pieces of 1/4" cattle panel material into lengths needed.  Think about 3 maybe 4 per side.  Then to remedy a rattle concern I caulk gunned silicone until I thought was full.  Only issue was the hole in bar behind the blinker control.  That silicone came thru and fouled up my blinkers until it dried and quit oozing.  Used a gel grip and puppies on top.  Very comfortable
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline buzz

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2012, 09:27:12 PM »
what is cattle panel material?
Never heard of it.
Buzz

Offline bowtie39

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2012, 10:34:58 PM »
Cattle panels are constructed of 1/4" steel rod that's galvanized.  Could do same with anything 1/4" that would fit in end of handlebar.
'16 Moondust Gray....gone  2001....the keeper

Offline buzzcut

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2012, 12:20:17 PM »
just a thought but would filling the bars either with silicone only or the expanding foam make much impact do you think?

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2012, 04:40:34 PM »
just a thought but would filling the bars either with silicone only or the expanding foam make much impact do you think?

None except for making a nasty mess.... You need to add real substantial weight and make the hollow bar act as a solid rod to reduce the tendency of having the hollow tube start to resonate or ring.
Tony P. Crochet