Author Topic: anyone have a Baffle-ectomy how to  (Read 8791 times)

Offline buzz

anyone have a Baffle-ectomy how to
« on: April 16, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »
Interested in drilling or punching out the baffles in my stock cans. I've done the drill out method on my 06 Vulcan 1600 classic, that was real fun. Three plates to drill through using hole saw. Two removed from outlet side the third had to be cut from inlet side meaning you had to pull the entire exhaust system and separate the mufflers from the pipes. It was a lot of work.
Is there a write up some where that details (step-by-step) either punch or drill process for the C-10?
Thanks.

Offline snarf

• Arena
Re: anyone have a Baffle-ectomy how to
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 07:48:51 PM »
Interested in drilling or punching out the baffles in my stock cans. I've done the drill out method on my 06 Vulcan 1600 classic, that was real fun. Three plates to drill through using hole saw. Two removed from outlet side the third had to be cut from inlet side meaning you had to pull the entire exhaust system and separate the mufflers from the pipes. It was a lot of work.
Is there a write up some where that details (step-by-step) either punch or drill process for the C-10?
Thanks.
Heck I'll do it, bring it on over.
2002 Conc
1986 Conc "The spirit of COG"

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 05:07:53 AM »
1 1/8" hole saw bit and a 12" extension.  The bit will fit exactly into the end of the exhaust. Slide it in till it stops pull the trigger untill it moves forward again; repeat opposite side.  All done
2002 Conc

"We did not become the men that we are because we were Sailors, soldiers or cops; we became Sailors, soldiers and cops because of the men we are."

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »
1 1/8" hole saw bit and a 12" extension.  The bit will fit exactly into the end of the exhaust. Slide it in till it stops pull the trigger untill it moves forward again; repeat opposite side.  All done
Yep.  That's the "How-To".

I used a step drill, because it was what I had.  Worked fine. 
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:48:21 AM »
Yep.  That's the "How-To".

I used a step drill, because it was what I had.  Worked fine.
Yes sir a step drill will work just fine.  One word of caution; when using the extension make sure that the bit is securely attached to the extension.  It really sucks to drill out the baffle for a friend only to find that when you pull back on the drill you find only an extension.  Lesson learned that day LOL.  All turned out ok.
2002 Conc

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 08:19:17 AM »
Originally invented by SISF, you do the deed (easily) w/ a 24" long rebar and a BFH. Have a friend hold the bike firmly w/ front brake. Then tap the pointed end of the rebar through the baffle. Repeat on the other side...no muss, no fuss, no crumbs to clean up.  ;)
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline jim snyder

• Arena
  • I'm married but my girlfriends name is Connie
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:53 AM »
The drill makes a much neater and well defined hole. I used a 1-1/8" hole saw with extension, (the largest that will fit into the muffler)
"Somedays you're the windshield, and somedays you're the bug"
"An armed citizen is a patriot, and unarmed citizen is a victim"

http://community.webshots.com/user/kawadude

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 08:25:50 AM »
Originally invented by SISF, you do the deed (easily) w/ a 24" long rebar and a BFH. Have a friend hold the bike firmly w/ front brake. Then tap the pointed end of the rebar through the baffle. Repeat on the other side...no muss, no fuss, no crumbs to clean up.  ;)
No offense to Steve, that method seemed so.......well crude. We have come along way since the stone hammer and granite chisel.  Power tools are your friend.  A couple of revs from the engine blows all the crumbs right out.
2002 Conc

Offline Stasch

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 10:12:26 AM »
Originally invented by SISF, you do the deed (easily) w/ a 24" long rebar and a BFH. Have a friend hold the bike firmly w/ front brake. SAY:  "THIS MIGHT SMART A LITTLE BIT", Then tap the pointed end of the rebar through the baffle. Repeat on the other side...no muss, no fuss, no crumbs to clean up.

I fixed it for you!
Stan Visser - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - > C10 STUFF FOR SALE - Parts List

He IS a racer, hence the forward lean!!  by: Mettler1

Offline jklhill

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 02:07:43 PM »
A one inch chisel and a small sledge worked just fine here. Bada bing, bada boom, done.

Offline DeansZG

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
Yep, an extra long chisel & a BFH worked great here too!  Thought about the hole saw method, but noticed the hammer & chisel on the bench & that it would save me a trip to the hdw store for the correct sized hole saw...... 
'99 C10 "MissTriss" *sold*
'04 ZZR1200 "Sweet heart" *sold*
'81 GL1100 Interstate "Puttz"*sold*
'00 K12LT..."Battleship Galactica".....

Offline buzz

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
Let me get this right, if I punch a hole in the outlet side using whatever tool I have handy that is all it takes to open the exhaust?
Sounds way to simple, but it's a 12 year old bike.
Buzz

Offline SteveJ.

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
Let me get this right, if I punch a hole in the outlet side using whatever tool I have handy that is all it takes to open the exhaust?
Sounds way to simple, but it's a 12 year old bike.
Buzz

Yup, just ram a pointy instrument up the out hole. Bang with a BFH. Repeat on other side. Congratulate yourself on a job well done. Celebrate with an appropriate adult beverage.

:chugbeer:
Perfection Is A Fantasy, Improvement Is Possible(Margie J)
America's Seaplane City
'99 Conk: 234k mi, '98 KLR650, both gone, '15 Versys 650LT: 74k mi
COG 5603, IBA 19921, CBMMA 50 (Cheap B@st@rds Motorcycle Maintenance Assoc, 18 year member)

Offline west

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
Does anybody have any sound clips of this?  I am interested in doing it, but I don't want to have the bike become obnoxiousness loud.  Had enough of that with my old bike which had open pipes with no baffles at all.  And it wasn't a Harley.   ;)

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:50 AM »
Does anybody have any sound clips of this?  I am interested in doing it, but I don't want to have the bike become obnoxiousness loud.  Had enough of that with my old bike which had open pipes with no baffles at all.  And it wasn't a Harley.   ;)

Not a real big change in the sound level at all.... The muffler is still there as are the baffles so only some of the escaping sounds get to take the short cut out to the free world.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 06:41:22 AM »
A bit more growl than stock, but not obnoxious.  I love it.  Wind noise is far more of a noticeable problem for me than exhaust noise.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline roger dodger

• Keep it between the ditches
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 07:53:28 AM »
The sound is 'perfect' IMHO.

No one knows to look or listen @ idle, just a stock exhaust pipe. Then get on it above 4k and listen to the 'rip' as the exhaust opens up more space when you need it. Then back to stock for cruising thru small towns between rips.  ;) 
'03 FJR
'02 C10 (mia)
'81 KZ1000

Offline west

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
All right, you guys just convinced me.  Time to get a hole saw. :D

Offline AZBiker

• My photos
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:01 AM »
I'm working on shortening a pair of stock cans.

Had to put the project on hold until school is out and I can take them to my buddy's shop in Phoenix to use his chop saw so I can get a clean, straight cut on the can.

I can tell you one thing though--the 4 rivets on the front of the can just hold on the beauty rings, nothing more.
rubber side down,

Derek
93 Cali black & red

Offline snarf

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 05:13:39 AM »
I'm working on shortening a pair of stock cans.

Had to put the project on hold until school is out and I can take them to my buddy's shop in Phoenix to use his chop saw so I can get a clean, straight cut on the can.

I can tell you one thing though--the 4 rivets on the front of the can just hold on the beauty rings, nothing more.
Yes Sir, Mama K did not want these cans falling apart while riding down the road
2002 Conc