Author Topic: A Clean Oil Change?  (Read 3519 times)

Offline bouts

A Clean Oil Change?
« on: April 21, 2012, 11:43:37 AM »
Did the first oil change on the Connie last night, previous ones were done by the dealer at provincial inspections.  Came to the conclusion that I really don't like the oil filter set up!!!!!   Dirty to change.  Also tricky to see the new oil in the sight glass.  Ended up overfilling the darn thing!!  So opened the drain plug and emptied some oil till the sight glass was reading in the right area.  Then I discovered that I had not put the flat washer back on with the new filter, so out came the filter yet again, out came some more oil, and in went the washer.  Now the oil in the sight glass is just below the upper level line!  Success, in a round about way!!  Also, I think I'm going to cut the bottom fairing to allow the changing of the oil and filter without removing the fairing. 

Offline Leo

Re: A Clean Oil Change?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 01:19:54 PM »
There is an adapeter made that replaces the filter lid and allows a spin on filter to be installed instead.  Lots cleaner/easier.   The inventor/manufacturere is a COG member and does excellent workmanship.  They are actually sold through a company called "murphskits".  Check out the Industry link on the home page.
Yep, still riding the old one

In Indiana, missing Texas

Offline mdr

• Mark in Austin's C10 Tech Page
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 01:41:23 PM »
I think they're making their last production run of these, so if you want one, get on it!
Mark in Austin
'01 Concours, Vrooomm
My "Tech Page"
http://www.randols.net/Connie/index.html

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 04:55:41 PM »
Also, I think I'm going to cut the bottom fairing to allow the changing of the oil and filter without removing the fairing.
That is a big help.  The SPOOFAK (SPin On Oil Filter Adapter Kit) that Leo mentioned is a great add-on, and, as mdr mentioned, is in its final production run.  I recently got one, and it made my last oil change much nicer/easier/cleaner.

If you're interested, here's Bergmen Engineering's site which also has some other nice inventions for the Concours.  Here's the direct link to the information about the SPOOFAK

Murph's Kits carries them, along with a bunch of other items you'll be lusting over.  Direct SPOOFAK link at Murph's
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline jim-d

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 04:27:49 AM »
I had one but went back to the stock set up.  Aside from the cool factor, which is high, it did not make oil changes any neater.  It did make then a little easier because there are less parts to fuss with.  There is also the remote possibility of road debris puncturing the soft metal of the filter, especially if you carve out the bottom pan for easy access.  I did say remote.

I liked it, didn't love it and as was noted in this forum years ago, many bikes have gone over 100k with the stock set up.

Offline datsaxman@hotmail.com

• Arena
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:37:16 AM »
I like the SPOOFAK too.  If you order the thing, the product literature makes repeated references to the TWO INCLUDED FILTERS, one long and one short.  None were included in my order, and no reply to my email asking about this either.  Yes, the currently posted installation sheet at the website STILL says filters are included.

I would buy another anyway, just know that you will need to get your own filters.  I cut away the plastic and run a long filter...

saxman
2008 ZG14X...ZX14 throttle bodies, full AreaP exhaust, heated grips, Corbin, and more...
161.5RWHP on the dyno
Formerly Silverdammit!

Offline timsatx

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 07:35:47 PM »
Why is it no longer gonna be manufactured?

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 07:45:49 PM »
Why is it no longer gonna be manufactured?
No new C10s = diminishing sales = one last batch.

It's good to know, since if I ever have to replace my C10, it is one of the farkles that I will be certain to remove.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157